www.koha-fr.org, new look

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

www.koha-fr.org, new look

Paul POULAIN-2
Hi,

Just FYI,

The new french Koha website has been launched. It's a graphical copy of
koha.org (many thanks to koha.org webdesigners)
--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants
en logiciels libres et bibliothéconomie (http://www.koha-fr.org)


_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

MJ Ray-2
Paul POULAIN <[hidden email]>

> The new french Koha website has been launched. It's a graphical copy of=20
> koha.org (many thanks to koha.org webdesigners)

Please please please can I have a template and/or copyright
permission to reuse it? (GPL or MIT/Xorg terms would be fine.)
I'm sure I asked when koha.org launched.  I need to fix a few
to meet WCAG, so permission to modify would be much easier.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask



_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

Shaun Evans-2
MJ Ray wrote:
> Please please please can I have a template and/or copyright
> permission to reuse it? (GPL or MIT/Xorg terms would be fine.)
> I'm sure I asked when koha.org launched.  I need to fix a few
> to meet WCAG, so permission to modify would be much easier.

If the people at Katipo are happy, I'd be pleased to give you permission
to use any of the code I wrote on www.koha.org for Koha purposes without
limitation. I'm not too keen, however, on you redistributing it (as the
GPL requires me to allow). If you need any more than what you can
download, please give me a shout for what you specifically need.

Cheers,

--
Shaun Evans
http://www.shaunevans.co.uk/


_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

Russel Garlick
Hi

> If the people at Katipo are happy, I'd be pleased to give you permission
> to use any of the code I wrote on www.koha.org for Koha purposes without
> limitation. I'm not too keen, however, on you redistributing it (as the
> GPL requires me to allow).

It is Shaun's design and he can do with it as he pleases.

But I think it raises and interesting point that is worth of discussion
in relation to how we market Koha.

What I am thinking about is "what is best for the Koha brand".

So with this all in mind -

What is the purpose of the Koha England site?

Is is

a) To be seen as a subsite of the koha.org site for users and developers
in England to pool resources that are specific to the use and
development of Koha in England and the UK

or is it

b) A tool to promote your the services of your own Koha company.

I think we need to make it clear that Koha is the product of a project
and is *not* what appears to be a company or other entity. So following
this train of though the Koha template should not be used by individual
companies to promote their own services. There are no Koha franchises or
official Koha regions given to individual companies to exploit.

I was under the impression that Paul and Henri were taking the content
of the koha.org site, which is all in English. And translating it into
French to make it more accessible for this audience. I welcome any
attempt to make the Koha message avaible in different languages and more
accessible. If anyone wants to take the content of the site and
translate it into any other language, great! lets talk :-)

I think the best solution would be to find a way that we can facilitate
a multi-lingual koha.org site. Now the current CMS doesnt support this.
We use Kea becuase it was quick to deploy the new look and feel. We
needed to get the old site down becuase it was just so out of date it
was wrong.

In regard to http://www.koha-fr.org/, Paul / Henri - if this site is an
attempt to mirror the content on www.koha.org then, great! If it is your
companies only site then I don't think it should be using the same look
and feel as koha.org. It becomes confusing. I think it would be wise for
  companies who are selling koha services to have their own site, with
their own look and feel, but utlising koha logos etc on their site as
advertising, rather than all sharing a similar look and feel.

But getting back to the Koha England site in particular, if it is a) A
general resource for Koha in England which is open for contributions
from all UK based Kohaphiles, then would it be better to look at away to
incorporate this into the koha.org site? Just thinking that we could
also have demand for USA, India etc.. subsites as well for sharing
expericences about Koha in those regions.

If we get a long thread started on this it might be worth discussing at
a meeting.

Cheers

--

Russel Garlick
Operations Manager
Katipo Communications
Ph:  +64 4 934 1285
Fax: +64 4 934 1286
Mob: +64 27 537 1377
Skype: russelgarlick
Web http://www.katipo.co.nz


_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

Anthony Mao
Hi,

I come from Taiwan.  Trying install Koha 2.2.3 for libraries with
Chinese collections and users.

I set up a groups to discuss it, http://groups.google.com/group/kohataiwan

Koha 2.2 manual was translated to Chinese by me,
http://www.kohadocs.org/Description2_2.html.

Where Can I post it for comment?


2006/1/26, Russel Garlick <[hidden email]>:
> Hi
>
> > If the people at Katipo are happy, I'd be pleased to give you permission
> > to use any of the code I wrote on www.koha.org for Koha purposes without
> > limitation. I'm not too keen, however, on you redistributing it (as the
> > GPL requires me to allow).

> If anyone wants to take the content of the site and
> translate it into any other language, great! lets talk > :-)
>
> --
>
> Russel Garlick
> Operations Manager
> Katipo Communications
> Ph:  +64 4 934 1285
> Fax: +64 4 934 1286
> Mob: +64 27 537 1377
> Skype: russelgarlick
> Web http://www.katipo.co.nz
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Koha-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
>

--
Best regards

毛慶禎, Anthony Mao, mao at lins dot fju dot edu dot tw
ICQ 30941847
Department of Library and Information Science
http://www.lins.fju.edu.tw/mao/index.htm
TEL +886 2 29052334, FAX +886 2 29017405
Fu-jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

Paul POULAIN-2
In reply to this post by Russel Garlick
Russel Garlick a écrit :

> I think we need to make it clear that Koha is the product of a project
> and is *not* what appears to be a company or other entity. So following
> this train of though the Koha template should not be used by individual
> companies to promote their own services. There are no Koha franchises or
> official Koha regions given to individual companies to exploit.
>
> I was under the impression that Paul and Henri were taking the content
> of the koha.org site, which is all in English. And translating it into
> French to make it more accessible for this audience. I welcome any
> attempt to make the Koha message avaible in different languages and more
> accessible. If anyone wants to take the content of the site and
> translate it into any other language, great! lets talk :-)

I 100% agree with you. "Local sites" should be seen as
"language-localized site" and nothing else.

I explain what we tried to do with koha-fr.org :
* At the very beginning I had a fr.koha.org, with katipo tools, on
katipo server. The problem being that, travelling the world for every
request was really slow. so I decided to go to koha-fr.org, with a
server physically in france.
* At 1st, it was a strict copy of koha.org (koha.org lists all companies
supporting Koha commercially, i'm listed on koha.org as well as on
koha-fr.org in fact ;-) )
* Then, I thought it could be a good place for some news. Thus we added
a "what's new" corner.
* Then, I got many questions from some (canadian) libraries. I answered
all of them, and thought it could be interesting to put them public.
What could be the best place ? koha-fr.org, of course. Thus, I added a
"features" corner, with each module (acquisition, cataloguing,
circulation...) being detailled, with a FAQ for each of them.
* Finally, I was asked for some very specific tricks, and added a "Koha
hints" corner (that has only a few pages, but I expect it will grow)

Now, I think we have a site that could last for some time. Henri-Damien
and I can write on it, but also Daniel, from Canada (he wrote only 1
page iirc). Any other french volunteer can request a login to be a writter.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants
en logiciels libres et bibliothéconomie (http://www.koha-fr.org)


_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

MJ Ray-2
In reply to this post by Russel Garlick
Russel Garlick <[hidden email]>

> But I think it raises and interesting point that is worth of discussion
> in relation to how we market Koha.
>
> What I am thinking about is "what is best for the Koha brand".

Right now, I think it's best to get the message out there everywhere.
I don't think koha should be a "brand" in the sense we fret over
protection and hinder friends who want to promote it.

> So with this all in mind -
>
> What is the purpose of the Koha England site?
>
> Is is
>
> a) To be seen as a subsite of the koha.org site for users and developers
> in England to pool resources that are specific to the use and
> development of Koha in England and the UK
>
> or is it
>
> b) A tool to promote your the services of your own Koha company.

More a than b, but that's a false dilemma. If koha resources
are more accessible to England, it will promote all koha services.
That includes ours, but self-promotion isn't the main aim. I just
don't know any other England-based firms yet. Nor does koha.org.

The main purpose is to document the available resources in a way
that is accessible to our audience, to make available new
resources when appropriate and to translate the documents
into English English (started) and Esperanto (not started).
At the moment, it's sort of a limited back-burner project,
as koha.org is much improved and I had hoped to share templates.

> I think we need to make it clear that Koha is the product of a project
> and is *not* what appears to be a company or other entity. So following
> this train of though the Koha template should not be used by individual
> companies to promote their own services. There are no Koha franchises or
> official Koha regions given to individual companies to exploit.

If you followed that protectionism line, then we all should
rebrand koha and sell it under other names. As a community,
we would gain a lot more by having a shared brand resource,
a reversed "tragedy of the commons" effect. Why can't we
cooperate?

> I was under the impression that Paul and Henri were taking the content
> of the koha.org site, which is all in English.  And translating it into
> French to make it more accessible for this audience.

!!! I don't think the site is that similar, from my reading!
It's another koha site, in French. There are some translations,
but not all close or current.

> I think the best solution would be to find a way that we can facilitate
> a multi-lingual koha.org site. [...]

Not really. koha.org is on the dark side of the moon, in network
terms from England. Sorry, but Eng-NZ internet links aren't good.

Best wishes,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask



_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

MJ Ray-2
In reply to this post by Shaun Evans-2
Shaun Evans <[hidden email]>

> If the people at Katipo are happy, I'd be pleased to give you permission
> to use any of the code I wrote on www.koha.org for Koha purposes without
> limitation. I'm not too keen, however, on you redistributing it [...]

It's sort of difficult to serve web pages without redistributing
the page template, or a work derived from it.

I'm not clear yet whether people at Katipo are happy. :-(

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask



_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

Russel Garlick
In reply to this post by MJ Ray-2
Hi


>
> Not really. koha.org is on the dark side of the moon, in network
> terms from England. Sorry, but Eng-NZ internet links aren't good.
>

I have talked to Simon and we (Katipo) are going to move koha.org to a
server he runs in the states. This should result in much better
perfomance to the site. As for us kiwi's who live on the dark side of
the moon, we are used to such lag, so I don't think members of the Koha
community here in NZ and Australia will notice much difference.

It will take us a week or two to get this going, mainly cos we will wait
till Chris gets back from wooing everyone at linux.conf.au.

Once this is up and running - would you (and other) help generate
content for a UK sub section of the Community section of the site?

Cheers
--

Russel Garlick
Operations Manager
Katipo Communications
Ph:  +64 4 934 1285
Fax: +64 4 934 1286
Mob: +64 27 537 1377
Skype: russelgarlick
Web http://www.katipo.co.nz


_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

MJ Ray-2
Russel Garlick <[hidden email]>
> I have talked to Simon and we (Katipo) are going to move koha.org to a
> server he runs in the states. This should result in much better
> perfomance to the site. [...]

Transatlantic links are fairly congested and expensive.
A European mirror or site is very desirable.

> Once this is up and running - would you (and other) help generate
> content for a UK sub section of the Community section of the site?

I'd really prefer a GB section for various reasons, but probably.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask



_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

Russel Garlick
Hiya

Lets see what performance is like once the site is on the US server as a
first step and then we can take it from there.

As for the GB section on koha.org - awesome. I'll setup a a subfolder
for you and an index page and give you a login for the CMS and you can
go from there.

I'll email you the login details off list

Cheers
Russel

--

Russel Garlick
Operations Manager
Katipo Communications
Ph:  +64 4 934 1285
Fax: +64 4 934 1286
Mob: +64 27 537 1377
Skype: russelgarlick
Web http://www.katipo.co.nz


_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: www.koha-fr.org, new look

Anthony Youngman
In reply to this post by Paul POULAIN-2
Something to think about ... (and it should be an approximate copy of
the main koha site :-)

Somebody mentioned mirrors. That could give you www.fr.koha.org,
www.uk.koha.org, www.nz.koha.org etc. I don't know how easy it would be
to do, but maybe the master site can have a link that points to an area
on the local server that is not mirrored. This would then contain local
content, ie all the french stuff, any uk stuff that is generated, etc
etc.

Cheers,
Wol

-----Original Message-----
From:
koha-devel-bounces+anthony.youngman=[hidden email]
[mailto:koha-devel-bounces+anthony.youngman=eca-international.com@nongnu
.org] On Behalf Of Russel Garlick
Sent: 26 January 2006 21:33
To: MJ Ray
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] www.koha-fr.org, new look

Hi


>
> Not really. koha.org is on the dark side of the moon, in network
> terms from England. Sorry, but Eng-NZ internet links aren't good.
>

I have talked to Simon and we (Katipo) are going to move koha.org to a
server he runs in the states. This should result in much better
perfomance to the site. As for us kiwi's who live on the dark side of
the moon, we are used to such lag, so I don't think members of the Koha
community here in NZ and Australia will notice much difference.

It will take us a week or two to get this going, mainly cos we will wait

till Chris gets back from wooing everyone at linux.conf.au.

Once this is up and running - would you (and other) help generate
content for a UK sub section of the Community section of the site?

Cheers
--

Russel Garlick
Operations Manager
Katipo Communications
Ph:  +64 4 934 1285
Fax: +64 4 934 1286
Mob: +64 27 537 1377
Skype: russelgarlick
Web http://www.katipo.co.nz


_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel

* ************************************************************************ *

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-mail from your information system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 8272 5300, Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582 2333.

* ************************************************************************ *



_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www.koha-fr.org, new look

Anthony Mao
I like this idea.
I would like to donate machine for www.tw.koha.org. And Chinese interface.

2006/2/2, Anthony Youngman <[hidden email]>:

> Something to think about ... (and it should be an approximate copy of
> the main koha site :-)
>
> Somebody mentioned mirrors. That could give you www.fr.koha.org,
> www.uk.koha.org, www.nz.koha.org etc. I don't know how easy it would be
> to do, but maybe the master site can have a link that points to an area
> on the local server that is not mirrored. This would then contain local
> content, ie all the french stuff, any uk stuff that is generated, etc
> etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> koha-devel-bounces+anthony.youngman=[hidden email]
> [mailto:koha-devel-bounces+anthony.youngman=eca-international.com@nongnu
> .org] On Behalf Of Russel Garlick
> Sent: 26 January 2006 21:33
> To: MJ Ray
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] www.koha-fr.org, new look
>
> Hi
>
>
> >
> > Not really. koha.org is on the dark side of the moon, in network
> > terms from England. Sorry, but Eng-NZ internet links aren't good.
> >
>
> I have talked to Simon and we (Katipo) are going to move koha.org to a
> server he runs in the states. This should result in much better
> perfomance to the site. As for us kiwi's who live on the dark side of
> the moon, we are used to such lag, so I don't think members of the Koha
> community here in NZ and Australia will notice much difference.
>
> It will take us a week or two to get this going, mainly cos we will wait
>
> till Chris gets back from wooing everyone at linux.conf.au.
>
> Once this is up and running - would you (and other) help generate
> content for a UK sub section of the Community section of the site?
>
> Cheers
> --
>
> Russel Garlick
> Operations Manager
> Katipo Communications
> Ph:  +64 4 934 1285
> Fax: +64 4 934 1286
> Mob: +64 27 537 1377
> Skype: russelgarlick
> Web http://www.katipo.co.nz
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Koha-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
>
> * ************************************************************************ *
>
> This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-mail from your information system.
>
> Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 8272 5300, Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582 2333.
>
> * ************************************************************************ *
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Koha-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel
>

--
Best regards

毛慶禎, Anthony Mao, mao at lins dot fju dot edu dot tw
ICQ 30941847
Department of Library and Information Science
http://www.lins.fju.edu.tw/mao/index.htm
TEL +886 2 29052334, FAX +886 2 29017405
Fu-jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

_______________________________________________
Koha-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/koha-devel