windows install fail... not sure of next steps.

windows install fail... not sure of next steps.

Joy Payton
Hi Friends,

I'm migrating an old clunky Access DB of bibliographic records to something more platform and software-independent, a web-based open-source solution.  I started with Greenstone, which seems ok for static data, but it's really a chore to get new records in the system (especially for non-techies, which most of my sisters -- I'm a nun working on a convent library -- definitely aren't).  I've heard that Koha is better, but I can*not* get the darn thing to install.

I'm trying to install on a vista system.  I installed Apache HTTP Server 2.0.63, MySQL Server 4.1 and Active Perl 5.10.1 build 1006 with the configurations suggested by the Koha wiki KohaWinInstallation.  But I'm a total newbie with all three of these pre-requisite programs so I've no real way to see if I installed them well.  I DID make sure to change the Perl path name to usr.

When I try to install Koha 2.2.9 (or 2.2.8), by double-clicking install.pl, I get a quick flash of a console, too fast to read, and then nothing.  Nada.  A very patient use of hitting PrtSc finally got me a screenshot of what my error message is: c:\usr\bin\perl.exe is the window name, and it reports: "Use of uninitialized value $env{"home"} in concatenation (.) or string at Install line 122.  Um, okay.  Not sure what that means for me.

Any tips out there for someone starting from scratch?  Much obliged.

Sr. Joy Payton, aci

Re: windows install fail... not sure of next steps.

Chris Cormack-6
2009/9/6 Joy Payton <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Friends,
>
> I'm migrating an old clunky Access DB of bibliographic records to something
> more platform and software-independent, a web-based open-source solution.  I
> started with Greenstone, which seems ok for static data, but it's really a
> chore to get new records in the system (especially for non-techies, which
> most of my sisters -- I'm a nun working on a convent library -- definitely
> aren't).  I've heard that Koha is better, but I can*not* get the darn thing
> to install.

Greenstone and Koha are for 2 totally different things. Greenstone is
a digital repository and Koha  a library management system.
Greenstone you store digital content in, and search over. Koha you run
a library with.

So first off which is it you actually want to do? Secondly the windows
version is hideously out of date. You are far better off installing
the latest stable version on linux.

Re: windows install fail... not sure of next steps.

Joy Payton
re: linux.  I'd love to install on Linux but I don't have a linux machine or even a dedicated windows server.  What I have is a computer lab with 3 vista computers, 4 old clunky XP, and the occasional laptop that floats in or out.   Any way to make koha feasible on a windows vista box, or do I abandon koha and look elsewhere?  I'm not wedded to the idea of koha, I'm just looking for the best open-source web-access bibliographic (no circulation, just plain access to and capacity to easily add bibliographic records) engine.  Tips?

2009/9/5 Chris Cormack <[hidden email]>
2009/9/6 Joy Payton <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I'm migrating an old clunky Access DB of bibliographic records to something
> more platform and software-independent, a web-based open-source solution.  I
> started with Greenstone, which seems ok for static data, but it's really a
> chore to get new records in the system (especially for non-techies, which
> most of my sisters -- I'm a nun working on a convent library -- definitely
> aren't).  I've heard that Koha is better, but I can*not* get the darn thingç

> to install.

Greenstone and Koha are for 2 totally different things. Greenstone is
a digital repository and Koha  a library management system.
Greenstone you store digital content in, and search over. Koha you run
a library with.

So first off which is it you actually want to do? Secondly the windows
version is hideously out of date. You are far better off installing
the latest stable version on linux.

Re: windows install fail... not sure of next steps.

Krishnan M
Hello Joy,

Perhaps you already know your options...
a) If you need any of the Windows boxes to be available all the time, try 'virtualization' to run Linux 'alongside' Windows. This usually needs a lot more resources (like memory) than is normal for the everyday desktop.

If you run Windows Vista, you probably already have a glut of memory on it.

b) Else, install Linux on one of the Windows boxes to make a dual-boot machine. You can boot into and out of Linux/Windows whenever you wish, and install Koha on Linux

The 'old, clunky XP' machines will do just fine. PC manufacturers and Wintel perpetuate the myth that every year or two, one needs a brand new box with twice the memory and processing power...

c) Try an older version of Koha (like 2.2.9) that has a Windows install. This is not really recommended, but it should serve most needs.

regards,
krishnan

2009/9/5 Chris Cormack <chris@...>
2009/9/6 Joy Payton <joy.payton.aci@...>:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I'm migrating an old clunky Access DB of bibliographic records to something
> more platform and software-independent, a web-based open-source solution.  I
> started with Greenstone, which seems ok for static data, but it's really a
> chore to get new records in the system (especially for non-techies, which
> most of my sisters -- I'm a nun working on a convent library -- definitely
> aren't).  I've heard that Koha is better, but I can*not* get the darn thingç

> to install.

Greenstone and Koha are for 2 totally different things. Greenstone is
a digital repository and Koha  a library management system.
Greenstone you store digital content in, and search over. Koha you run
a library with.

So first off which is it you actually want to do? Secondly the windows
version is hideously out of date. You are far better off installing
the latest stable version on linux.

Chris

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: windows install fail... not sure of next steps.

Paul Yachnes
My suggestion would be to install the free Sun VirtualBox in Vista, and then create a Linux server in that. I have one with Koha and other applications running on my laptop. It works beautifully and will be a great learning experience.

Paul

Joy Payton wrote:
re: linux.  I'd love to install on Linux but I don't have a linux machine or even a dedicated windows server.  What I have is a computer lab with 3 vista computers, 4 old clunky XP, and the occasional laptop that floats in or out.   Any way to make koha feasible on a windows vista box, or do I abandon koha and look elsewhere?  I'm not wedded to the idea of koha, I'm just looking for the best open-source web-access bibliographic (no circulation, just plain access to and capacity to easily add bibliographic records) engine.  Tips?

2009/9/5 Chris Cormack <[hidden email]>
2009/9/6 Joy Payton <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I'm migrating an old clunky Access DB of bibliographic records to something
> more platform and software-independent, a web-based open-source solution.  I
> started with Greenstone, which seems ok for static data, but it's really a
> chore to get new records in the system (especially for non-techies, which
> most of my sisters -- I'm a nun working on a convent library -- definitely
> aren't).  I've heard that Koha is better, but I can*not* get the darn thingç

> to install.

Greenstone and Koha are for 2 totally different things. Greenstone is
a digital repository and Koha  a library management system.
Greenstone you store digital content in, and search over. Koha you run
a library with.

So first off which is it you actually want to do? Secondly the windows
version is hideously out of date. You are far better off installing
the latest stable version on linux.

Re: windows install fail... not sure of next steps.

Joe Atzberger

2009/9/6 Paul Yachnes <[hidden email]>
My suggestion would be to install the free Sun VirtualBox in Vista, and then create a Linux server in that. I have one with Koha and other applications running on my laptop. It works beautifully and will be a great learning experience.

This is a good approach.  VirtualBox is solid and performs well.

However, you may want to specify that the linux VM uses "bridged" networking, in order to make it reliably accessible to other systems on the network (i.e., w/ DNS).

--Joe