utf8 and mySQL

Paul POULAIN-2
Hello all,

After speaking and investigating with french usenet, i'm still stuck.

SOLUTION A :
* someone suggested me to use mysqlPP (Pure Perl mysql, that uses unix
socket). Did nothing interesting

SOLUTION B : PATCHING dbd::mySQL
* I tried to apply the patch from
http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3006?f=plain, but it's for DBD::mysql
v2.9003, that is VERY VERY old (why the hell did the maintainer not
apply him. Maybe it's buggy ?).
* I tried to apply the patch manually to the last version, and it's a
pain, I resigned before the end.

+ It contains some .c softwares that makes him impossible to be shipped
with koha, in C4 directory. It has to be compiled, requires some
specific things.

SOLUTION C : modifying Koha to have Encode::decode_utf8 everywhere.
This solution works fine, i've tested it partially in 2 scripts from
admin/, I can have smiley.

So, i'm still stuck with the problem, I've spend almost another full day
on it. If joshua can reach mySQL guys, or anyone suggest a solution.

Note : Tümer don't have the problem (i've checked through a private
login he sended to me), Joshua has the same as me. The only difference I
can find between us is that Tümer is under win2003, while Joshua & me
are under Linux.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants

Re: utf8 and mySQL

Joshua Ferraro-3
Paul,

It just occured to me that Perl might be defaulting to the system
locale ... and that the Win32 system that it's working on might have
a utf-8 locale ... have you tried changing your locale to utf-8?

Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
President, Technology       migration, training, maintenance, support
LibLime                                Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
[hidden email] |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS