synchro two instances of Koha

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

synchro two instances of Koha

Giuseppe Angilella
Hi,

is it possible to synchronize two (online) instances of Koha? I mean, two
identical installations, updated regularly, residing on two different
machines, where patrons and administrators can access and modify entries
independently. Would it possible to synchronize their databases (and
perhaps some relevant external file), on the basis of the modification
timestamp of those entries that have been actually modified?

(I am not sure whether my question is simply equivalent to that of
synchronizing two mysql databases on different servers, for which there
might be an answer, if I google it correctly: your advice is appreciated.)

Many thanks,

Giuseppe.
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: synchro two instances of Koha

Francesco Rivetti
On 2018-03-04 6:07 AM, Giuseppe Angilella wrote:
> is it possible to synchronize two (online) instances of Koha?

I don't think so.

You could synchronize the two databases (master/master replica)

but I believe Koha (mostly, because of caches) won't like when the data
on its DB is updated by the replica.

It "might" well "enough" though

I mean,
> two identical installations, updated regularly, residing on two
> different machines, where patrons and administrators can access and
> modify entries independently. Would it possible to synchronize their
> databases (and perhaps some relevant external file), on the basis of the
> modification timestamp of those entries that have been actually modified?

DB replicas (I'm talking about MySQL right now) allow you to synchronize
two databases both ways, but that doesn't mean the application will be
happy about it.

> (I am not sure whether my question is simply equivalent to that of
> synchronizing two mysql databases on different servers, for which there
> might be an answer, if I google it correctly: your advice is appreciated.)

Exactly, but I would rather not go that way.

In the best case scenario, you might have race conditions (two instances
of Koha trying to change the same row)

It might be worse, the replica might fail, and then the two databases
will start to drift from each other, and make it really hard to merge
them together after.

Why would you like to have 2 Master dbs?

F
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: synchro two instances of Koha

Jonathan Druart
In reply to this post by Giuseppe Angilella
Hi Giuseppe,

I wrote something to do that few years ago when I worked at BibLibre (
https://git.biblibre.com/biblibre/kss/)
Kss is for "Koha sync system", the idea was to synchronize slave
installations (without internet access during the day) with the master
installation.
It does not appear to have been updated to work with new versions of Koha.
It has been initially written for 3.2 and rewritten for 3.16

Regards,
Jonathan

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 at 02:07 Giuseppe Angilella <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to synchronize two (online) instances of Koha? I mean, two
> identical installations, updated regularly, residing on two different
> machines, where patrons and administrators can access and modify entries
> independently. Would it possible to synchronize their databases (and
> perhaps some relevant external file), on the basis of the modification
> timestamp of those entries that have been actually modified?
>
> (I am not sure whether my question is simply equivalent to that of
> synchronizing two mysql databases on different servers, for which there
> might be an answer, if I google it correctly: your advice is appreciated.)
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Giuseppe.
> _______________________________________________
> Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
>
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: synchro two instances of Koha

Michael Kuhn
Hi Jonathan

 > I wrote something to do that few years ago when I worked at BibLibre (
 > https://git.biblibre.com/biblibre/kss/)

Just for your information: Unfortunately, when trying to access that
URL, it says "403 Forbidden".

Best wishes: Michael
--
Geschäftsführer · Diplombibliothekar BBS, Informatiker eidg. Fachausweis
Admin Kuhn GmbH · Pappelstrasse 20 · 4123 Allschwil · Schweiz
T 0041 (0)61 261 55 61 · E [hidden email] · W www.adminkuhn.ch
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: synchro two instances of Koha

ruatuki
It works for me Michael.

Best wishes,
Clint.

Michael Kuhn wrote:
> Hi Jonathan
>
>  > I wrote something to do that few years ago when I worked at BibLibre (
>  > https://git.biblibre.com/biblibre/kss/)
>
> Just for your information: Unfortunately, when trying to access that
> URL, it says "403 Forbidden".
>
> Best wishes: Michael
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: synchro two instances of Koha

Michael Kuhn
Hi Clint

Am 24.03.2018 um 01:38 schrieb clint.deckard:
 > It works for me Michael.
 >
 > Best wishes,
 > Clint.

Interesting... it works for me too, but only when using the Tor Browser
7.5.2 (using dynamically assigned IP address 185.220.101.45). Not when
using Mozilla Firefox 58.0.2 which uses dynamically assigned IP address
178.238.167.56. The internet does not belong to everyone. Whatever.

Best wishes: Michael
--
Geschäftsführer · Diplombibliothekar BBS, Informatiker eidg. Fachausweis
Admin Kuhn GmbH · Pappelstrasse 20 · 4123 Allschwil · Schweiz
T 0041 (0)61 261 55 61 · E [hidden email] · W www.adminkuhn.ch
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: synchro two instances of Koha

Giuseppe Passanisi
In reply to this post by Jonathan Druart
What I suggest you is to do a Replication of Database using Mysql itself with replication master-slave (if your purpose is Disaster Recovery or Business Continuity)

But that is not enough, you'll have to sync also configurations file and other files eventually customized.


To do that I suggest you an rsync in cronjob (every 15 minutes or less) that copy the files (with --update) from master to slave. Should be enough rsync the /var/lib/koha/instance directory and /etc/koha/.


BR,

Giuseppe Passanisi


________________________________
Da: Koha <[hidden email]> per conto di Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]>
Inviato: venerdì 23 marzo 2018 19:59
A: Giuseppe Angilella
Cc: [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [Koha] synchro two instances of Koha

Hi Giuseppe,

I wrote something to do that few years ago when I worked at BibLibre (
https://git.biblibre.com/biblibre/kss/)
Kss is for "Koha sync system", the idea was to synchronize slave
installations (without internet access during the day) with the master
installation.
It does not appear to have been updated to work with new versions of Koha.
It has been initially written for 3.2 and rewritten for 3.16

Regards,
Jonathan

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 at 02:07 Giuseppe Angilella <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to synchronize two (online) instances of Koha? I mean, two
> identical installations, updated regularly, residing on two different
> machines, where patrons and administrators can access and modify entries
> independently. Would it possible to synchronize their databases (and
> perhaps some relevant external file), on the basis of the modification
> timestamp of those entries that have been actually modified?
>
> (I am not sure whether my question is simply equivalent to that of
> synchronizing two mysql databases on different servers, for which there
> might be an answer, if I google it correctly: your advice is appreciated.)
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Giuseppe.
> _______________________________________________
> Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
>
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha