need help with accessing koha from outside via DynDNS

need help with accessing koha from outside via DynDNS

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Hello,
I'm still in the process of testing Koha, I have installed it on a virtual
machine on my local network. This works so far. I also added some books to the
database.
Now I want to let other people outside of my local network test this
installation, but I'm not able to reach it

I can reach my network vi   something.dnshome.de
With a port forwarding 80 -> 80 in the network router I can reach the test
page of the apache server.
How  can I reach the koha server

--
regards
       Heinz

Re: need help with accessing koha from outside via DynDNS

Mark Alexander
Excerpts from Heinz-Jürgen Oertel's message of 2020-02-06 13:32:34 +0100:
> I can reach my network vi   something.dnshome.de
> With a port forwarding 80 -> 80 in the network router I can reach the test
> page of the apache server.
> How  can I reach the koha server

It's possible that Koha is listening on a port other than 80.  This is
controlled by the VirtualHost line(s) in your Koha installation's
configuration file in /etc/apache2/sites-available/INSTANCE.conf, where INSTANCE
is the name of your Koha instance.

You can see what ports are in use with this command:

netstat -pn --tcp --listen | grep apache

Am Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2020, 13:49:38 CET schrieb Mark Alexander:

> Excerpts from Heinz-Jürgen Oertel's message of 2020-02-06 13:32:34 +0100:
> > I can reach my network vi   something.dnshome.de
> > With a port forwarding 80 -> 80 in the network router I can reach the test
> > page of the apache server.
> > How  can I reach the koha server
>
> It's possible that Koha is listening on a port other than 80.  This is
> controlled by the VirtualHost line(s) in your Koha installation's
> configuration file in /etc/apache2/sites-available/INSTANCE.conf, where
> INSTANCE is the name of your Koha instance.
>
> You can see what ports are in use with this command:
>
> netstat -pn --tcp --listen | grep apache

tcp6       0      0 :::80     :::*      LISTEN      1113/apache2

That means, Apache is listening at 80, that is correct, but could not be all

From the local site, where i have to entries in /etc/hosts
192.168.2.138   bibliothek.xxxxxxxxx.de
192.168.2.138   bibliothek-intra.xxxxxxxx.de

I only can call koha  with one of these symbolic names.
If I put
http://192.168.2.138
in the browser URL field, I too reach the Apache test page

Regards
     Heinz

Re: need help with accessing koha from outside via DynDNS

Alvaro Cornejo
Hi Heinz

Usually this issue means Apache is receiving a call for a site that does
"not exist" so it shows its default page.

Check that your koha site is enabled (sudo a2ensite bibliotthek.conf)

As per

tcp6       0      0 :::80     :::*      LISTEN      1113/apache2

Seems apache is not listening to tcp4 and also port 8080 is not enabled
either.

You should have in your apache port file
Listen 80
Listen 8080

In some cases, there are conflict with IPV6. If you do not use it you can
disable it by:
Listen 0.0.0.0:80
Listen 0.0.0.0:8080

After doing those changes, you need to restart apache

sudo service apache2 restart

Regards,

Alvaro

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Envíe y Reciba Datos y mensajes de Texto (SMS) hacia y desde cualquier
celular y Nextel
en el Perú, México y en mas de 180 paises. Use aplicaciones 2 vias via SMS
y GPRS online
              Visitenos en www.perusms.com

Le jeu. 6 févr. 2020 à 08:51, Heinz-Jürgen Oertel <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Am Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2020, 13:49:38 CET schrieb Mark Alexander:
> > Excerpts from Heinz-Jürgen Oertel's message of 2020-02-06 13:32:34 +0100:
> > > I can reach my network vi   something.dnshome.de
> > > With a port forwarding 80 -> 80 in the network router I can reach the
> test
> > > page of the apache server.
> > > How  can I reach the koha server
> >
> > It's possible that Koha is listening on a port other than 80.  This is
> > controlled by the VirtualHost line(s) in your Koha installation's
> > configuration file in /etc/apache2/sites-available/INSTANCE.conf, where
> > INSTANCE is the name of your Koha instance.
> >
> > You can see what ports are in use with this command:
> >
> > netstat -pn --tcp --listen | grep apache
>

> tcp6       0      0 :::80     :::*      LISTEN      1113/apache2
>
> That means, Apache is listening at 80, that is correct, but could not be
> all
>
> From the local site, where i have to entries in /etc/hosts
> 192.168.2.138   bibliothek.xxxxxxxxx.de
> 192.168.2.138   bibliothek-intra.xxxxxxxx.de
>
> I only can call koha  with one of these symbolic names.
> If I put
> http://192.168.2.138
> in the browser URL field, I too reach the Apache test page
>
> Regards
>      Heinz

Re: need help with accessing koha from outside via DynDNS

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Hello Alvaro,

it must be something different. I unfortunately know nearly nothing about the
Apache configuration, that is may problem.

Looking at /etc/apache2 you can find different configuration files:
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled
there is    000-default.conf
  this seems to be the server for the default test page
  <VirtualHost *:80>
  DocumentRoot /var/www/html

and   bibliothek.conf, this conf defines 2 VirtualHost both at port  :80
  # OPAC
  <VirtualHost *:80>
    <IfVersion >= 2.4>
    Define instance "bibliothek"
    ServerName bibliothek.bessarabien.de

and the second:
  # Intranet
  <VirtualHost *:80>
    <IfVersion >= 2.4>
     Define instance "bibliothek"
     ServerName bibliothek-intra.bessarabien.de

For me, it looks like all are accessible at port 80 but you hve to use
different names for the server

But using DynDNS, I can not change that.

For now  I will try to disable the default conf and change  the OPAC access to
be default without a server name.

I'll let you know how it works.

 Regards
    Heinz

Am Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2020, 21:44:17 CET schrieb Alvaro Cornejo:

> Hi Heinz
>
> Usually this issue means Apache is receiving a call for a site that does
> "not exist" so it shows its default page.
>
> Check that your koha site is enabled (sudo a2ensite bibliotthek.conf)
>
> As per
>
> tcp6       0      0 :::80     :::*      LISTEN      1113/apache2
>
> Seems apache is not listening to tcp4 and also port 8080 is not enabled
> either.
>
> You should have in your apache port file
> Listen 80
> Listen 8080
>
> In some cases, there are conflict with IPV6. If you do not use it you can
> disable it by:
> Listen 0.0.0.0:80
> Listen 0.0.0.0:8080
>
> After doing those changes, you need to restart apache
>
> sudo service apache2 restart
>
> Regards,
>
> Alvaro
>
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |--------------------------------------|
> Envíe y Reciba Datos y mensajes de Texto (SMS) hacia y desde cualquier
> celular y Nextel
> en el Perú, México y en mas de 180 paises. Use aplicaciones 2 vias via SMS
> y GPRS online
>               Visitenos en www.perusms.com
>

> Le jeu. 6 févr. 2020 à 08:51, Heinz-Jürgen Oertel <[hidden email]> a
>
> écrit :
> > Am Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2020, 13:49:38 CET schrieb Mark Alexander:
> > > Excerpts from Heinz-Jürgen Oertel's message of 2020-02-06 13:32:34
+0100:

> > test

> > > It's possible that Koha is listening on a port other than 80.  This is
> > > controlled by the VirtualHost line(s) in your Koha installation's
> > > configuration file in /etc/apache2/sites-available/INSTANCE.conf, where
> > > INSTANCE is the name of your Koha instance.
> > >
> > > You can see what ports are in use with this command:
> > >
> > > netstat -pn --tcp --listen | grep apache
> >
> > tcp6       0      0 :::80     :::*      LISTEN      1113/apache2
> >
> > That means, Apache is listening at 80, that is correct, but could not be
> > all
> >
> > From the local site, where i have to entries in /etc/hosts
> > 192.168.2.138   bibliothek.xxxxxxxxx.de
> > 192.168.2.138   bibliothek-intra.xxxxxxxx.de
> >
> > I only can call koha  with one of these symbolic names.
> > If I put
> > http://192.168.2.138
> > in the browser URL field, I too reach the Apache test page
> >
> > Regards
> >
> >      Heinz

mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Halle (Saale)
       Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

Am Freitag, 7. Februar 2020, 13:44:29 CET schrieb Heinz-Jürgen Oertel:
> I'll let you know how it works.

it works. !!  I can now access at least the OPAC via my  DynDNS web site
address.
Now I can show the biblio staff  how  beautiful  the koha interface for
customers is

 Regards
  Heinz