Quantcast

kohaadmin password change

Manos Petridis
One further question: I recently changed the kohaadmin password, using the koha admin interface (i.e. for patron #1).
This change was necessary in order to be able to perform catalogue-ing off-site, connecting to port 8080 from any Internet-connected browser.
I did not change the operating system user password, nor the MySQL user password.

One would expect that patrons and their passwords were stored in the MySQL koha database itself, so koha functionality would remain as before.

To my surprise, I can't connect to koha, even from the same LAN. From the server I get the following errors:

Software error:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Context.pm line 758.
Compilation failed in require at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Auth.pm line 31.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Auth.pm line 31.
Compilation failed in require at /home/koha/kohaclone/mainpage.pl line 25.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/koha/kohaclone/mainpage.pl line 25.
 For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@koha), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

when I try the admin interface, and

Software error:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Context.pm line 758.
Compilation failed in require at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Auth.pm line 31.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Auth.pm line 31.
Compilation failed in require at /home/koha/kohaclone/opac/opac-main.pl line 22.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/koha/kohaclone/opac/opac-main.pl line 22.
 For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@koha), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

when I try the OPAC interface.

Have the errors above anything to do with the password change?
I repeat, I haven't changed (yet) the operating system user password, nor the MySQL user password, or thet of the MySQL root.

ΤΙΑ
Manos Petridis

Re: kohaadmin password change

Chris Cormack-6
On 19 August 2012 20:33, Manos Petridis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One further question: I recently changed the kohaadmin password, using the koha admin interface (i.e. for patron #1).
> This change was necessary in order to be able to perform catalogue-ing off-site, connecting to port 8080 from any Internet-connected browser.
> I did not change the operating system user password, nor the MySQL user password.
>
> One would expect that patrons and their passwords were stored in the MySQL koha database itself, so koha functionality would remain as before.

Real patrons are, kohaadmin is not a real patron, but the mysql user.

> To my surprise, I can't connect to koha, even from the same LAN. From the server I get the following errors
>
> Software error:
> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Context.pm line 758.
> Compilation failed in require at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Auth.pm line 31.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Auth.pm line 31.
> Compilation failed in require at /home/koha/kohaclone/mainpage.pl line 25.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/koha/kohaclone/mainpage.pl line 25.
>  For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@koha), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
>
> when I try the admin interface, and
>
> Software error:
> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Context.pm line 758.
> Compilation failed in require at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Auth.pm line 31.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/koha/kohaclone/C4/Auth.pm line 31.
> Compilation failed in require at /home/koha/kohaclone/opac/opac-main.pl line 22.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/koha/kohaclone/opac/opac-main.pl line 22.
>  For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@koha), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
>
> when I try the OPAC interface.
>
> Have the errors above anything to do with the password change?
> I repeat, I haven't changed (yet) the operating system user password, nor the MySQL user password, or thet of the MySQL root.

The only time you should ever use the kohaadmin user (which is the
mysql user). Is to create a user in Koha, and give it super librarian
permissions, and to run the web installer.

Never try to do things in Koha as the mysql user (which is what
kohaadmin or whatever user you set up in mysql is).

Re: kohaadmin password change

Manos Petridis
Thank you Chris for your reply. I guess there must have been some pressing need to present both MySQL users and koha users in the same interface/list.

I understand the concept of creating a 2nd super-user and perform any operations from that profile; in fact I had already created such a user so that I could get myself out of trouble should I forget/mistype the kohaadmin pass.

I suppose I'll have to log-in to MySQL with the new pass (or as a root) and change the kohaadmin pass back to the previous value.

Two more notes to be added to my wishlist:
a) There ought to be a clear way to change the kohaadmin password nevertheless, for what good is a password for, if it is known by everyone?
b) There should be a warning when someone - with the proper rights - tries to change the kohaadmin password via the administrative interface. Then again it may well be a joke on koha newbies and such a warning would spoil the fun ;-)
kind regards,
Manos Petridis

On 19 August 2012 21:35, Manos Petridis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you Chris for your reply. I guess there must have been some pressing need to present both MySQL users and koha users in the same interface/list.

Yes, you need one user to be able to login to create a new one. It's
only one mysql user btw.

> I understand the concept of creating a 2nd super-user and perform any operations from that profile; in fact I had already created such a user so that I could get myself out of trouble should I forget/mistype the kohaadmin pass.
>
> I suppose I'll have to log-in to MySQL with the new pass (or as a root) and change the kohaadmin pass back to the previous value.

O you could just edit the koha-conf.xml file that has the password in it.

> Two more notes to be added to my wishlist:
> a) There ought to be a clear way to change the kohaadmin password nevertheless, for what good is a password for, if it is known by everyone?

Why on earth would you tell everyone the mysql user password?
Nevertheless there is, change it in mysql, like you would any other
mysql user, and edit the koha-conf.xml to match.

> b) There should be a warning when someone - with the proper rights - tries to change the kohaadmin password via the administrative interface. Then again it may well be a joke on koha newbies and such a warning would spoil the fun ;-)
> kind regards,

The kohaadmin user (or whatever name, it doesn't need to be that) is
not a real user and should not ever be used as such. There is a patch
awaiting sign off to try to stop people logging in as the mysql user.

More patches are always welcome of course.

Re: kohaadmin password change

Manos Petridis

> On 19 August 2012 21:35, Manos Petridis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Thank you Chris for your reply. I guess there must have been some pressing
> need to present both MySQL users and koha users in the same interface/list.
>>
> Yes, you need one user to be able to login to create a new one. It's
> only one mysql user btw.
>
>>  I understand the concept of creating a 2nd super-user and perform any
> operations from that profile; in fact I had already created such a user so that
> I could get myself out of trouble should I forget/mistype the kohaadmin pass.
>>
>>  I suppose I'll have to log-in to MySQL with the new pass (or as a root)
> and change the kohaadmin pass back to the previous value.
>>
> O you could just edit the koha-conf.xml file that has the password in it.

Ah! Will try that, thank you.
I seem to have trouble using mysql from the command line now, so the situation has really become interesting :-)

>>  Two more notes to be added to my wishlist:
>>  a) There ought to be a clear way to change the kohaadmin password
> nevertheless, for what good is a password for, if it is known by everyone?
>
> Why on earth would you tell everyone the mysql user password?
> Nevertheless there is, change it in mysql, like you would any other
> mysql user, and edit the koha-conf.xml to match.

I use a ready-made koha VM appliance, so the initial passwords are shared with the world, regardless of my wishes.
Using a VM appliance is fine for my needs, as I use koha to document my personal library only (for now at least) and try/learn about koha.
As I have already reported some issues in this list, I was preparing my installation so that I may be able to let the other list members see for themselves the behaviour I mentioned in my messages. One step in this preparation was changing the administrative passwords.

>>  b) There should be a warning when someone - with the proper rights - tries
> to change the kohaadmin password via the administrative interface. Then again it
> may well be a joke on koha newbies and such a warning would spoil the fun ;-)
>>  kind regards,
>>
> The kohaadmin user (or whatever name, it doesn't need to be that) is
> not a real user and should not ever be used as such. There is a patch
> awaiting sign off to try to stop people logging in as the mysql user.

Well, the question is not why someone regularly logs-in with the administrator/root/superuser/sysadm/qsecofr/you_name_it credentials: in my case I am the sole user and I always do either catalogue-ing or administrative work. The question is why the MySQL user is presented among the koha users, and why koha has been made able to change this user's pass in MySQL, but not re-configure itself to use the new pass. But as I already said, there must have been some pressing need that I'm not aware of, so...

> More patches are always welcome of course.

Alas, I'm perl-challenged myself.

> Chris

Manos

Re: kohaadmin password change

Chris Cormack-7
I highly doubt it has changed the mysql password, there is no code in Koha to do that, I just checked. It can only change the password in the borrowers table in the Koha db.

I'm not sure what you have done to mysql.

Chris

> [...]

>> kind regards,
>>
> The kohaadmin user (or whatever name, it doesn't need to be that) is
> not a real user and should not ever be used as such. There is a patch
> awaiting sign off to try to stop people logging in as the mysql user.

Well, the question is not why someone regularly logs-in with the administrator/root/superuser/sysadm/qsecofr/you_name_it credentials: in my case I am the sole user and I always do either catalogue-ing or administrative work. The question is why the MySQL user is presented among the koha users, and why koha has been made able to change this user's pass in MySQL, but not re-configure itself to use the new pass. But as I already said, there must have been some pressing need that I'm not aware of, so...

> More patches are always welcome of course.

Manos

Re: kohaadmin password change

Fischer, Katrin
Hi Manos,

Chris is right - the MySQL user is not in the koha database of borrowers. You confuse it with the admin user that is part of the sample users, I think. This user is lacking permissions after installation, so changing the password and using the user you can't log in with it.

Katrin

> [...]

>> kind regards,
>>
> The kohaadmin user (or whatever name, it doesn't need to be that) is
> not a real user and should not ever be used as such. There is a patch
> awaiting sign off to try to stop people logging in as the mysql user.

Well, the question is not why someone regularly logs-in with the administrator/root/superuser/sysadm/qsecofr/you_name_it credentials: in my case I am the sole user and I always do either catalogue-ing or administrative work. The question is why the MySQL user is presented among the koha users, and why koha has been made able to change this user's pass in MySQL, but not re-configure itself to use the new pass. But as I already said, there must have been some pressing need that I'm not aware of, so...

> More patches are always welcome of course.

Manos

Re: kohaadmin password change

Manos Petridis
Thank you, your response make things clear.
I'll look for other possible changes, from the o/s side, or even revert to a previous VM image.

regards,
Manos Petridis

match.