feature suggestions

BWS Johnson
Salvete!

I try not to ask for stuff as I can't pay folks, but I'd love to see this. I'm not sure how feasible it would be, but I'll throw it out there anyway, because it could be something that would give Koha a leg up on a whole bunch of other products. I'm also not sure whether I blurted this out sometime in the past, or whether it's something that I've just been mulling over a long time, so I apologise if this is a dupe.

If the traditional subject searching gets ironed out, I would love to see tag clouds implemented. How cool would it be to have patrons tag stuff and then be able to do an advanced or separate search on tag clouds to find related items? I don't think I've seen anything like this in any catalogue. People could also rate a given item like on digg.

Does anyone know of folks using Koha on a consortial basis? I know that Stephen has different branches set up in Nelsonville so that a patron can find an item based on location. I also figure that folks could assign different usernames and passwords to different members of a consortium for cataloguing purposes. Is there a way to mess with the templates to reflect a different look for different libraries within a consortium? Is there a way to make Koha default to a given branch or library from within that site? I also noticed when I was spying on Stephen's catalogue that he owns Bleak House at the Athens branch. BUT if I title search on that at a different location, Koha doesn't yell at me that the material isn't at my branch, but is at another one in the system.

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA

RE: feature suggestions

Bigwood, David
Brooke,

The University of Pennsylvania is using tags in their library. I think the Ann Arbor Library District is also. It is not unknown.

Freetag adds tagging to a MySQL database, same thing Koha uses. Should be able to use that as a starting place.

Personally, I'm not conviced of the usefullness of tagging in a small system. Tags work best when lots of folks tag lots of things. Maybe as a personal management system for folks it could be useful. If they tagged something an item toread_dpb, it could be useful for them if not a larger group.

Rating an item is a different tool. Recommendations could also be useful but another tool. Trackbacks might be interesting, ping the library copy when discussing a book. Maybe trackbacks would work best for Open WorldCat rather than a local library. Again, a few pings scattered about the catalog would not be very useful.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood