data migration from excel to koha

Amandeep Kansal
Dear All,

How i can migrate data related to books from excel to koha marc resords.

thanks

Re: data migration from excel to koha

Koustubha Kale
We used the excellent and free MarcEdit very successfully for this.
If you need a step by step let me know..

Koustubha Kale
Anant Corporation

Contact Details :
Address  : 103, Armaan Residency, R. W Sawant Road, Nr. Golden Dyes Naka, Thane (w),
        Maharashtra, India, Pin : 400601.
TeleFax  : +91-22-21720108, +91-22-21720109
Mobile     : +919820715876
Website  : http://www.anantcorp.com

Amandeep Kansal wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> How i can migrate data related to books from excel to koha marc resords.
>
> thanks

Re: data migration from excel to koha

Ed Roche
This guide would help me because I downloaded and took a peek at the app
and didn't know where to start.

Thanks
Ed

Edward J. Roche
Network Administrator
Solanco School District
717.786.2151 x2437

"At the End of the Day, Did You Play to Win or Not to Lose?"

Amandeep Kansal wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> How i can migrate data related to books from excel to koha marc
resords.

> thanks

Re: data migration from excel to koha

Nicole Engard
There is some documentation on using MarcEdit in the manual:
https://sites.google.com/a/liblime.com/koha-manual/Home/Table-of-Contents/Appendicies

---

Nicole C. Engard
Open Source Evangelist, LibLime
(888) Koha ILS (564-2457) ext. 714
[hidden email]
AIM/Y!/Skype: nengard

http://liblime.com
http://blogs.liblime.com/open-sesame/

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Koustubha Kale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We used the excellent and free MarcEdit very successfully for this.
> If you need a step by step let me know..
>
> --
> Regards,
> Koustubha Kale
> Anant Corporation
>
> Contact Details :
> Address  : 103, Armaan Residency, R. W Sawant Road, Nr. Golden Dyes Naka, Thane (w),
>                Maharashtra, India, Pin : 400601.
> TeleFax  : +91-22-21720108, +91-22-21720109
> Mobile     : +919820715876
> Website  : http://www.anantcorp.com
>

> Amandeep Kansal wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> How i can migrate data related to books from excel to koha marc resords.
>>
>> thanks

Re: data migration from excel to koha

Koustubha Kale
Here we go..
First get your data organized in Excel. Things we had to watch out for
were.. date formats to match your koha / mysql date formats, barcode,
itemtype, library branch. We had to add last three to the excel data.
Also watch out for common things like quote, comma, tab marks & any
unusual characters in your data. Clean up the data thoroughly.

Then save the excel file as unicode text. Excel saves as a tab delimited
file in Unicode. We need utf-8. So you need some text editor which can
save the file as utf-8. I use EditPlus.

After you have saved the file as utf-8 text, start the Delimited Text
translation Wizard from the MarcEdit program group. On the second screen
give i/p and o/p filenames, leave the delimiter to tab, put text
qualifier if any in your text file, click on Edit LDR/008 select LDR
dropdown appropriate to your data. Select utf-8 encoded checkbox.

On next screen you have  to  build a  mapping from  your excel file
columns to koha marc tags. Tric is to click in the Select Field 0 drop
box and while it is selected type your corresponding marc tag in the
map to text box. then click apply. Once you have mapped all columns in
your excel file tokoha marc tags, click on save template so you can
reuse it next time you import data in the same excel format and click
finish. It will save your template as a .mrd file and create a .mrk file
of your text data.

Open the .mrk file in MarcEdit by double clicking it and simply click on
the Compile Records button. This will compile all your records and give
you a .mrc file.

In koha go to tools -- > Stage marc records for import, select your .mrc
file set record matching rules s needed and click the big button. This
will import the data in staging area and take you to a summary page
which will have a link to manage the imported records. Click the link
select record matching conditions needed and import the staged records
in to the database..

Reindex your database by running misc/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl
-b -w ( or by running misc/migration_tools/rebuild_nozebra.pl if not
using zebra. )

Roche III, Edward wrote:

> This guide would help me because I downloaded and took a peek at the app
> and didn't know where to start.
>
> Thanks
> Ed
>
> Edward J. Roche
> Network Administrator
> Solanco School District
> 717.786.2151 x2437
>

> "At the End of the Day, Did You Play to Win or Not to Lose?"

archimed
hi

i'm new in koha and i install succefully the last version on suse 11.

my problem is when i migrate all my data to koha and i login to opac to search the data imported i have no result (the import and catalog of data also is succefully).

please how can i attach the data imported to my own site in koha.

and thanks

Re: data migration from excel to koha

DEEPTI
hii
can u tell me how to do migrate data excel to koha step by step. i really help please

Re: data migration from excel to koha

Koustubha Kale
Hi,
You can use the excellent tool MarcEdit for this. Get it from
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php

This article used to be in the old wiki. Has disappeared in the
transfer. Will update there soon, but for now see below..

How to migrate from a delimited text file to Koha :

Get a nice CSV file :

First get your data organized in MS-Excel. Things we had to watch out
for were: date formats to match your Koha / mysql date formats,
barcode, itemtype, library branch. We had to add last three to the
Excel data. Also watch out for common things like quote, comma, tab
marks & any unusual characters in your data. Clean up the data
thoroughly.

Then save the Excel file as Unicode text. Excel saves as a tab
delimited file in Unicode. We need UTF-8. So you need some text editor
which can save the file as UTF-8, like EditPlus or Kate (on Linux)

Convert with MarcEdit :

After you have saved the file as UTF-8 text, start the Delimited Text
translation Wizard from the MarcEdit program group. On the second
screen give imput and output (i/p and o/p) filenames, leave the
delimiter to tab, put text qualifier if any in your text file, click
on Edit LDR/008 select LDR dropdown appropriate to your data. Select
UTF-8 encoded checkbox.

On next screen you have to build a mapping from your Excel file
columns to Koha marc tags. Trick is to click in the Select Field 0
drop box and while it is selected type your corresponding marc tag in
the map to text box. then click apply. Once you have mapped all
columns in your Excel file to Koha marc tags, click on save template
so you can reuse it next time you import data in the same Excel format
and click finish. It will save your template as a .mrd file and create
a .mrk file of your text data.

Open the .mrk file in MarcEdit by double clicking it and simply click
on the Compile Records button. This will compile all your records and
give you a .mrc file.
Import to Koha

In Koha go to tools – > Stage marc records for import, select your
.mrc file set record matching rules needed and click the big button.

Blog : http://www.anantcorp.com/blog/?author=2

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM, DEEPTI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hii
> can u tell me how to do migrate data excel to koha step by step. i really
> help please

Re: data migration from excel to koha

Robin Sheat-2
Op vrijdag 17 december 2010 17:58:35 schreef Koustubha Kale:
> You can use the excellent tool MarcEdit for this. Get it from
> http://people.oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php

MarcEdit may work for you. I'm wary of it (and the wiki article) for a few
reasons. One is that it's closed source and only runs on Windows. Who runs
legacy platforms like Windows these days ;)

Another is that the post suggests using Excel (that said, you seem to be using
Excel anyway.) In my experience, the biggest way of losing data is to put it
though Excel (OpenOffice is safer, but not by a whole lot.) I had an instance
where putting the data through Excel caused issues such as it treating dates
wrongly, and thinking ISBNs/ISSNs were numbers (when they're not, as in a
leading 0 is significant, and converting them to scientific notation is not at
all helpful to anyone.) With care you can do it, but be careful. My guideline
is that if you can at all avoid using a spreadsheet, do so. They tend to do
more harm than good, as they're not databases.

It's a little confused as it suggests converting Unicode to UTF-8...UTF-8 is a
representation of Unicode. But, I expect that it's still safe to do as it says
about that.

Anyway, it's probably easier to use to get started than my script, so see how
you go.
--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.

Re: data migration from excel to koha

Paul A
At 12:42 AM 12/18/2010 +1300, Robin Sheat wrote:
>Op vrijdag 17 december 2010 17:58:35 schreef Koustubha Kale:
> > You can use the excellent tool MarcEdit for this. Get it from
> > http://people.oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php
[snip]
>Another is that the post suggests using Excel (that said, you seem to be
>using
>Excel anyway.) In my experience, the biggest way of losing data is to put it
>though Excel (OpenOffice is safer, but not by a whole lot.) I had an instance
>where putting the data through Excel caused issues such as it treating dates
>wrongly, and thinking ISBNs/ISSNs were numbers (when they're not, as in a
>leading 0 is significant, and converting them to scientific notation is
>not at
>all helpful to anyone.) With care you can do it, but be careful.

I would respectfully disagree. We have made extensive use of OpenOffice
(v3.2.1) which has good macro and regex-based find and replace functions.
It allows for formatting cells by column (e.g. dates as YYYMMDD and ISBNs
as text.) It allows direct export as a UTF-8 tab-delimited csv. We have
also found that judicious use of column sorting can be a most effective
tool for finding glitches that could confuse MarcEdit (agreed it would be
nice if Terry could produce a *nix based version - I think I even heard a
rumour that he's working on just that.)

If there is interest on this list, I could probably come up with some "tips
and tricks" to eliminate all Micro$oft formatting and best use oOo
functionality.

>My guideline is that if you can at all avoid using a spreadsheet, do so.
>They tend to do more harm than good, as they're not databases. [snip]
>Anyway, it's probably easier to use to get started than my script, so see
>how you go.

Given that a "spreadsheet" is basically a tab-delimited text file with the
addition of a bells-and-whistles enhanced GUI, I'm not sure why you say
that. However I would really appreciate if you could make your script
available, I'd like to take an in depth look at it (every day is a learning
experience.)

Best,
Paul --- tired old sys-admin.