cardnumbers, and borrowernumbers

Marty Jongepier
Message
Hi all,

I have Koha up and running, it is wonderful, especially compared to what we are using currently.

I have a few questions still, just to make our lives easier.

When I add children to a member, the screen will show me the membernumber (borrowernumber), and a textbox where I can fill in the cardnumber. Now our cardnumbers are derived from the membernumber (not the same), so that is great.

But if I add a member, there will be the text member#, Card number* and then the textbox for the cardnumber.
I cannot see the membernumber on this screen, and I need that for the cardnumber. Is there a way to show it there? I think it should? Or do I miss something?

Thanks again,

Marty Jongepier

Re: cardnumbers, and borrowernumbers

Stephen Hedges
Marty -

The member number actually is called "borrowernumber" in the Koha
database, and is used extensively for indexing your data.  For example,
items that are issued to a borrower are indexed to the borrowernumber, not
the card number.

You can always see the borrowernumber for an existing member; it appears
on the screen as "Membership number" and in your browser's url window as
"bornum" at the end of the url.  When you are adding a member, however,
the borrowernumber is not assigned until you click on the "save" button.
So deriving the card number from the borrowernumber is a bad idea, unless
you want to assign a nonsense card number, save the new member, then go
back in and change the card number once the borrowernumber has been
assigned.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges