best way to catalog new library?

smurfett
Hi

We're a bilingual school  in the US that's trying to catalog our chinese
books from scratch.  Because I can't find the Chinese MARC records from US
libraries, I've added some z39.50 servers in Taiwan.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for us to easily catalog our
books.  The current Koha interface seem to suggest that I have to type in
ISBN numbers one by one, it searches the z39.50, I edit the MARC record,
and save it.  I know Koha allows importing via Excel.  But my problem is I
don't know how else to get all these MARC records to begin with except
through Koha.

I bought a barcode scanner and I'd hoped I could somehow scan all the ISBN
numbers in and some program will search and download all the MARC records
in a batch format instead.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can catalog my books?

thanks!
nancy

Re: best way to catalog new library?

smurfett
Wow!  Thanks for the quick reply.  I will check it out.

On a related note, when I search on Koha to these Taiwan z39.50 servers,
Koha doesn't like the MARC records I downloaded.  I wouldn't let me save
the record because it keeps complaining about fields that are missing.  I'm
only vaguely familiar w/ MARC records.  Is this because of compatibility
issues between the libraries here and the MARC record formats in Koha?  Do
I have to play w/ how MARC records are setup?  How do I reconcile the
differences in MARC records?

I used an open z39.50 server listed at IRSpy.  According to that website,
the z39.50 server I added supports USMARC, which is what I configured the
syntax as.  I also configured the encoding as UTF8 rather than MARC-8
(which the sample US servers are configured as).

Thanks!
nancy

On 1/27/12 3:28 AM, Piotr Wejman wrote:

> 2012/1/27<[hidden email]>:
>> Hi
>>
>> We're a bilingual school  in the US that's trying to catalog our chinese
>> books from scratch.  Because I can't find the Chinese MARC records from US
>> libraries, I've added some z39.50 servers in Taiwan.
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for us to easily catalog our
>> books.  The current Koha interface seem to suggest that I have to type in
>> ISBN numbers one by one, it searches the z39.50, I edit the MARC record, and
>> save it.  I know Koha allows importing via Excel.  But my problem is I don't
>> know how else to get all these MARC records to begin with except through
>> Koha.
>>
>> I bought a barcode scanner and I'd hoped I could somehow scan all the ISBN
>> numbers in and some program will search and download all the MARC records in
>> a batch format instead.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions on how I can catalog my books?
>>
>> thanks!
>> nancy

> Hi
>
> You can try tu use following script to fetch multiple records from
> list of ISBN numbers:
> http://librarypolice.com/wiki.koha.org/en:documentation:perl_script_using_zoom_for_marc_records_from_z3950_server.html
>

> Piotr Wejman

Re: best way to catalog new library?

Kurt Bodling
May somewhat depend on just which MARC fields are missing.

If it is 003 and 005, as on lots of records we batch loaded here from a service provider, the you can:

For MARC field 003 - Just enter your library's MARC Organization code (search it at http://www.loc.gov/marc/organizations/org-search.php) or just stick in some abbreviation for your library if you don't have a MARC Organization code -- that's heresy for a cataloger to say, but let's be practical here.

For MARC field 005 - just tab through it and it will fill itself in automatically

For other fields, let us know just which ones your Koha is asking you about.

Kurt

Kurt A. Bodling
Technical Services Librarian
George Washington's Mount Vernon
     Estate, Museum & Gardens

Sue McMillan
I use a product called Bookwhere to find MARC records. It's by a USA company.  Bookwhere searches up to 50 barcodes at time through multiple library databases.  Very easy to use and would recommend it to anyone.

Susan McMillan
South Taranaki District Council
privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy
any
copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other
than the intended recipient is unauthorised and may be illegal. Please
note that this communication does not designate an information system
for the purposes of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.

The Council has upgraded to Microsoft office 2007 suite. This may mean you cannot open attachments if you have older versions of office. <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en"> Click here to access Microsoft Office 2007's compatibility website.<a/>

Re: best way to catalog new library?

Nancy
Can you configure your own z39.50 server?  Our problem is that our books are most likely not listed in US libraries

Nancy