batching imported records viaz39.50

Luisa Korodrau
I have recently installed Koha 18.11 last April and seek help as per
subject above.
1. I am using z39.50 to import catalog records from a number of targets and
would like to know if the process can be done in batches to quicken the
cataloging process
2. Secondly, how do I use OCLC in Z39.50 - can someone help me with the
procedures to do this please.
Thank you and I look forward to assistance in this regard.

Luisa Korodrau
Davuilevu Theological College Library
Nausori
Fiji

Re: [EXTERNAL] batching imported records viaz39.50

King, Fred
I can answer part 1: yes, using MarcEdit. Earlier this month I gave a presentation on MarcEdit at the Medical Library Association meeting in Chicago. I had three minutes and I tried to cover a lot of ground, so I just touched upon the Z39.50 part. See:
   http://avengingchicken.online/misc/king_marcedit_in_three_minutes_with_notes_mla2019.pdf
and download MarcEdit here:
   http://marcedit.reeset.net/

If my proposal is accepted, I'm going to do a longer talk on Koha, MarcEdit, life, the universe, and everything at the next koha-US conference, and I'll post my slides on the Avenging Chicken's web site. That's not helpful right now, though, but if you want to e-mail me I'll tell you what I can. (I'll be away from e-mail for a week or so, but you'll eventually get a reply.)

Fred King
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

Don't ask about the stain on my scrubs if you can't handle the answer.
--Trad

Re: [EXTERNAL] batching imported records viaz39.50

Hernandez, Heather
Hi, Luisa--

I can give you some information on your second question:
> Secondly, how do I use OCLC in Z39.50 - can someone help me with
> the procedures to do this please.

You need to pay for a full cataloging subscription to OCLC to use it even
via Z39.50, and you can obtain a quote for that by contacting OCLC Library
Services at [hidden email] .  If you do pay for a full cataloging
subscription, I find that the capabilities of their Connexion Client
interface (or even Connexion Browser interface) offer more and better
options that interacting via Z39.50, but, of course, your setting might
work better via Z39.50, and the OCLC staff can help you evaluate the
options.  Before deciding to pay for OCLC, many libraries also evaluate the
cost of OCLC vs. the workflow efficiencies that using their paid services
offer.

Hope this helps!  Cheerio,
h2

Re: [EXTERNAL] batching imported records viaz39.50

Paul A-2
On 2019-05-31 12:02 p.m., Hernandez, Heather wrote:
[snip]
> You need to pay for a full cataloging subscription to OCLC to use it even
> via Z39.50,
[snip]

A couple of weeks ago, Library and Archives Canada turned off their
Z39-50 service AMICUS which we have been using via Koha for many years.
They have written to us -- CaOPIACS, which they issued -- that, as
Heather says above, we have to pay for "a full cataloging subscription
to OCLC". The quote from OCLC is several thousands of dollars. As a
Canadian charity we are adversely impacted [1].

Might I prevail upon all Koha users (and potential users) on this list
to let me know:
        - if they used to use AMICUS Z39-50 for Canadian titles
        - if they are commercial subscribers to OCLC
        - if they have feelings/comments about a national library outsourcing
to a foreign commercial corporation

List replies would be appreciated, as Z39-50 is one of Koha's strengths.
Off-list replies to paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com would, gratefully,
be held in confidence.

With my sincerest thanks,
Paul
---
Paul Adamthwaite, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Naval Marine Archive : The Canadian Collection
Canadian Charitable Organization 88721 9921 RR0001

[1] This affects the speed and accuracy of our [mostly volunteer] biblio
cataloguing of Canadian titles (although LoC, via their "copycat"
service are sometimes of great help.) It also puts our Koha catalog
potentially "out of sync" with our national authority; ~20% of our
holdings are of Canadian publishing origins.