Zero padding callnumber

Marcel de Rooy-2
Hi all,
Does anyone of you have experience with zero padding callnumbers in Koha?
We have shelves like 1, 10, 100 and 1000. And reports are always
problematic since 10 is between 1 and 2, etc.
So we want to zero padd to 0001, 0010, 0100 and 1000.
Since we will not adjust older hand written labels on books, they will
still list 1, 10, 100, etc.

Searching for the older callnumbers will no longer work after renumbering.
(Unless we leave the old callnumber in the record too, or make Koha's
search a bit wiser somehow.)

If you did something similar, did you encounter other things to take into
account?

Thanks,
Marcel de Rooy
Rijksmuseum Research Library

Re: Zero padding callnumber

Katrin Fischer-2
Hi Marcel,

have you looked into going another route and not padding the actual item
callnumbers but using a custom filing rule to fill cn_sort with? We use
cn_sort in reports regularly with some success - even without a custom
filing rule the results are often better than just sorting on the
itemcallnumber. If you were using your own classification and filing
rules, you could add the padding there, while the callnumbers would
still display the same.

Katrin