What's on in koha-devel #14

Jonathan Druart
Hello librarians and developers,

The what's on in koha-devel #14 is available on the Koha website: https://koha-community.org/whats-on-in-koha-devel-14

Regards,
Jonathan

Re: What's on in koha-devel #14

Marcel de Rooy

> As written in it, without an agreement we will find all together, no new enhancements are going

> to be pushed.

I am not sure which 'agreement'  you are seeking here. The time for a critical bug to become part of master, just depends on involvement of people and the publicity made for it via IRC and mailing lists. If it takes more time, nobody should complain, because we can all participate.

 But the approach of vetoing enhancements is imo contraproductive and will only scare people away. So I just hope that you change your mind about that course. We cannot force people to participate.

If you are not pushing enhancements btw, it does not make much sense to QA them too. Same for testing or signing them off. Note if we pile up everything in PQA, we will have a lot of rebasing and we will create some new bugs in that process.

Marcel

Re: What's on in koha-devel #14

Jonathan Druart
Hi Marcel,
This discussion must be done under the original thread, otherwise it will make it hard to follow.
Cheers,
Jonathan

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 at 08:12 Marcel de Rooy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As written in it, without an agreement we will find all together, no new enhancements are going

> to be pushed.

I am not sure which 'agreement'  you are seeking here. The time for a critical bug to become part of master, just depends on involvement of people and the publicity made for it via IRC and mailing lists. If it takes more time, nobody should complain, because we can all participate.

 But the approach of vetoing enhancements is imo contraproductive and will only scare people away. So I just hope that you change your mind about that course. We cannot force people to participate.

If you are not pushing enhancements btw, it does not make much sense to QA them too. Same for testing or signing them off. Note if we pile up everything in PQA, we will have a lot of rebasing and we will create some new bugs in that process.

Marcel

FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Marcel de Rooy

> As written in it, without an agreement we will find all together, no new enhancements are going

> to be pushed.

I am not sure which 'agreement'  you are seeking here. The time for a critical bug to become part of master, just depends on involvement of people and the publicity made for it via IRC and mailing lists. If it takes more time, nobody should complain, because we can all participate.

 But the approach of vetoing enhancements is imo contraproductive and will only scare people away. So I just hope that you change your mind about that course. We cannot force people to participate.

If you are not pushing enhancements btw, it does not make much sense to QA them too. Same for testing or signing them off. Note if we pile up everything in PQA, we will have a lot of rebasing and we will create some new bugs in that process.

Marcel

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

The first big problem here is the lack of answer. I am asking to developers how we can process to avoid another blocking situation.

I will try to add information and not to rephrase.

I want people to let me know how do they do to know there is something urgent to do on Koha dev.
I do not see the point to sign-off and QA trivial string patches when blockers are in the queue for weeks (no need to tell me everybody does what do they want, I still agree with that).

If you are a developer and you want to help, what do you do? Where do you do? How to you prioritize your work? Are you all picking bugs randomly in the queue?

We need to all agree on a "place to go" to know what need to be done. I listed ideas.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 at 10:30 Marcel de Rooy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As written in it, without an agreement we will find all together, no new enhancements are going

> to be pushed.

I am not sure which 'agreement'  you are seeking here. The time for a critical bug to become part of master, just depends on involvement of people and the publicity made for it via IRC and mailing lists. If it takes more time, nobody should complain, because we can all participate.

 But the approach of vetoing enhancements is imo contraproductive and will only scare people away. So I just hope that you change your mind about that course. We cannot force people to participate.

If you are not pushing enhancements btw, it does not make much sense to QA them too. Same for testing or signing them off. Note if we pile up everything in PQA, we will have a lot of rebasing and we will create some new bugs in that process.

Marcel

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Jon Knight
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Jonathan Druart wrote:
> If you are a developer and you want to help, what do you do? Where do you
> do? How to you prioritize your work? Are you all picking bugs randomly in
> the queue?

I'm not a "developer" in that I don't work for a commercial Koha support
company, but as our library are moving to Koha and I'm a coder, I've been
dipping my toes in the Koha dev waters.  As such, Koha is only a very
small part of my day job, so doesn't get lots of time allocated to it at
the moment.  Running to jump on the Koha dev train is quite a challenge:
there's much to learn and the information about what to do and what is
required/optional takes a while to find.  As such I currently feel much
happier/safer making small enhancements/bug fixes than working on show
stopping blockers where I may well currently lack the skills and knowledge
to do the right thing.

So for me, yes, I do tend to look at Bugzilla bugs randomly in the queue,
as some are of more interest to our library than others (and quite a few I
don't understand and/or seem to have grown crufty and unusable). If I get
a spare few minutes and something interesting pops up on the IRC channel
or the mailing list I may look at it.

> We need to all agree on a "place to go" to know what need to be done. I
> listed ideas.

For what its worth, I'd suggest just having "a" place to go.  Koha seems
to have lots of places to go at the moment (IRC, mailing list, Kanban,
bugzilla, wiki pages, random people's githubs, etc, etc). If you're
suffering from a lack of attention, focus what attention there is on just
one place, and don't introduce more ways of interacting.

Jon

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Indranil Das Gupta
Hi

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 7:25 PM, Jonathan Druart
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not see the point to sign-off and QA trivial string patches when
> blockers are in the queue for weeks (no need to tell me everybody does what
> do they want, I still agree with that).

I completely get that blockers need to be sorted out. But personally I
got into Koha dev stream with string patches. How to write the tests
was a mystery to me in the initial days and I was afraid to get in
there. And when I did, I made mistakes which others helped clean up
and that's how I learnt and I'm still learning.

For a newbie, seeing their trivial patch being signed off and pushed
is a shot of adrenaline and it gives them the confidence to bite into
bigger pieces. I'm sure that we do not want Koha development to be
seen as an oligarchy of expert devs, by not pushing the insignificant
patches when there are blocker patches, especially when there is a
call up for more "hands on the deck".

Personally I was *not* happy with the shift to taiga. I knew my way
around BZ. Kanban was a new format to me and having to spend time to
learn a new pm tool was something that had me dragging my feet. But
then its human nature.to resist  change. :-)  I will probably just get
used to it in bit

just my 2c

indranil

--
Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
WWW  : http://www.l2c2.co.in
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Jonathan Druart
Hi Indranil,

Of course I was not talking about new contributors. My main goal for this release is to help new people to come on-board.
We refreshed the wiki, wrote a step-by-step how-to "signoff and write patches", etc.
I give personal answers to new contributors, guide them, give them quick and early feedbacks on their patches in order to keep them motivated.

This button I am asking for is to alert support companies and regular developers that something is (very) urgent and need their attention. I would like to stop gesticulating to try getting this attention. I would like a button I can push to make a red blinking light on some desks. Then everybody is free to ignore it, but they saw it and I will not push it again. It will be easier for me to know that people knows, than sending emails, pinging on #koha, adding card to the kanban, CCing people on the bug report, without never knowing if they are aware of the problem.

About the kanban: its goal is NOT to replace bugzilla, it has never been and will never be.
We are talking about two different tools. One is a bug tracker, the other one is a tool to manage/prioritize different tasks, group them under "Epic" (big works), form working groups, etc. Moreover community tasks are not always one entry in bugzilla, we want to track, discuss and keep history of more stuffs than just bugs. Taiga answered this lack. Please re-read the wiki page of the kanban if its goal is not clear (or ask me to update it).

Cheers,
Jonathan

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not see the point to sign-off and QA trivial string patches when
> blockers are in the queue for weeks (no need to tell me everybody does what
> do they want, I still agree with that).

I completely get that blockers need to be sorted out. But personally I
got into Koha dev stream with string patches. How to write the tests
was a mystery to me in the initial days and I was afraid to get in
there. And when I did, I made mistakes which others helped clean up
and that's how I learnt and I'm still learning.

For a newbie, seeing their trivial patch being signed off and pushed
is a shot of adrenaline and it gives them the confidence to bite into
bigger pieces. I'm sure that we do not want Koha development to be
seen as an oligarchy of expert devs, by not pushing the insignificant
patches when there are blocker patches, especially when there is a
call up for more "hands on the deck".

Personally I was *not* happy with the shift to taiga. I knew my way
around BZ. Kanban was a new format to me and having to spend time to
learn a new pm tool was something that had me dragging my feet. But
then its human nature.to resist  change. :-)  I will probably just get
used to it in bit

just my 2c

indranil

--
Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : <a href="tel:+91%2098300%2020971" value="+919830020971" target="_blank">+91-98300-20971
WWW  : http://www.l2c2.co.in
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

BWS Johnson-2
Salvete!

Of course I was not talking about new contributors. My main goal for this release is to help new people to come on-board.
We refreshed the wiki, wrote a step-by-step how-to "signoff and write patches", etc.
I give personal answers to new contributors, guide them, give them quick and early feedbacks on their patches in order to keep them motivated.

    It's obvious to me how much work you're putting in Jonathan, and I appreciate it. Thank you. I'm glad one of your big goals is to recruit new people since if Koha were a kid, it would be old enough to drive in the USA.

This button I am asking for is to alert support companies and regular developers that something is (very) urgent and need their attention. I would like to stop gesticulating to try getting this attention. I would like a button I can push to make a red blinking light on some desks. Then everybody is free to ignore it, but they saw it and I will not push it again. It will be easier for me to know that people knows, than sending emails, pinging on #koha, adding card to the kanban, CCing people on the bug report, without never knowing if they are aware of the problem.

    Yes.

About the kanban: its goal is NOT to replace bugzilla, it has never been and will never be.
We are talking about two different tools. One is a bug tracker, the other one is a tool to manage/prioritize different tasks, group them under "Epic" (big works), form working groups, etc. Moreover community tasks are not always one entry in bugzilla, we want to track, discuss and keep history of more stuffs than just bugs. Taiga answered this lack. Please re-read the wiki page of the kanban if its goal is not clear (or ask me to update it).

    Thank you for clarifying this. I wasn't sure whether it would eventually supercede BZ or not.

Cheers,
Brooke

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

David Cook

I have Arduinos and Raspberry Pis at my desk. Maybe making a literal big red warning light isn’t a bad idea… ;). We could call it “The Bug Signal” after The Bat Signal. We could make a Kickstarter!

I’m joking about the Kickstarter, but I kind of like the idea of a little physical Koha bug display :p.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not see the point to sign-off and QA trivial string patches when
> blockers are in the queue for weeks (no need to tell me everybody does what
> do they want, I still agree with that).

I completely get that blockers need to be sorted out. But personally I
got into Koha dev stream with string patches. How to write the tests
was a mystery to me in the initial days and I was afraid to get in
there. And when I did, I made mistakes which others helped clean up
and that's how I learnt and I'm still learning.

For a newbie, seeing their trivial patch being signed off and pushed
is a shot of adrenaline and it gives them the confidence to bite into
bigger pieces. I'm sure that we do not want Koha development to be
seen as an oligarchy of expert devs, by not pushing the insignificant
patches when there are blocker patches, especially when there is a
call up for more "hands on the deck".

Personally I was *not* happy with the shift to taiga. I knew my way
around BZ. Kanban was a new format to me and having to spend time to
learn a new pm tool was something that had me dragging my feet. But
then its human nature.to resist  change. :-)  I will probably just get
used to it in bit

just my 2c

indranil

--
Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : <a href="tel:+91%2098300%2020971" target="_blank">+91-98300-20971
WWW  : http://www.l2c2.co.in
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Magnus Enger
Kia ora!

I agree that there should be *one* place to get an overview of the
health of the project and what needs doing (at least as far as bugs
go), and for me the natural place for that is the dashboard:
http://dashboard.koha-community.org/

We could probably do more with that, and the data behind it (from
Bugzilla). Like:
- display blockers/critical bugs in big red letters across the top.
(Or use tags to let the RM choose bugs that should be specially
highlighted.)
- make the favicon red when there are such blockers (developers could
have the dashboard always open in a pinned tab)
- highlight the people who helped signoff and qa those critical patches

As for what to work on and when: With a lot more customers there is a
lot less time to sign off patches. So if I am going to do it I need to
find one that
- fits in the time I have available
- is relevant to my customers
- is in a part of Koha I know, or it will take a lot more time
(signing off patches in unknown parts of Koha is great for learning,
of course, but it will take more time)

Just my NOK 0,02.

Best regards,
Magnus
Libriotech

On 11 August 2017 at 02:01, David Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have Arduinos and Raspberry Pis at my desk. Maybe making a literal big red
> warning light isn’t a bad idea… ;). We could call it “The Bug Signal” after
> The Bat Signal. We could make a Kickstarter!
>

> I’m joking about the Kickstarter, but I kind of like the idea of a little
> physical Koha bug display :p.
>

> David Cook
>
> Systems Librarian
>
> Prosentient Systems
>
> 72/330 Wattle St
>
> Ultimo, NSW 2007
>
> Australia
>

> Office: 02 9212 0899
>
> Direct: 02 8005 0595

Katrin Fischer-2
Hi all,

I like Magnus' suggestion of using the Dashboard. I look at it often and
it's usually my starting point before signing off patches. Now with
Jenkins status being back on it, it's even more useful for me RMaint.
Maybe we could add a section for the RM to post urgent messages? Most of
the Dashboard is data pulled in from difference sources, not sure how to
best add it to it.

Katrin

On 11.08.2017 11:03, Magnus Enger wrote:

> Kia ora!
>
> I agree that there should be *one* place to get an overview of the
> health of the project and what needs doing (at least as far as bugs
> go), and for me the natural place for that is the dashboard:
> http://dashboard.koha-community.org/
>
> We could probably do more with that, and the data behind it (from
> Bugzilla). Like:
> - display blockers/critical bugs in big red letters across the top.
> (Or use tags to let the RM choose bugs that should be specially
> highlighted.)
> - make the favicon red when there are such blockers (developers could
> have the dashboard always open in a pinned tab)
> - highlight the people who helped signoff and qa those critical patches
>
> As for what to work on and when: With a lot more customers there is a
> lot less time to sign off patches. So if I am going to do it I need to
> find one that
> - fits in the time I have available
> - is relevant to my customers
> - is in a part of Koha I know, or it will take a lot more time
> (signing off patches in unknown parts of Koha is great for learning,
> of course, but it will take more time)
>
> Just my NOK 0,02.
>
> Best regards,
> Magnus
> Libriotech
>
> On 11 August 2017 at 02:01, David Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have Arduinos and Raspberry Pis at my desk. Maybe making a literal big red
>> warning light isn’t a bad idea… ;). We could call it “The Bug Signal” after
>> The Bat Signal. We could make a Kickstarter!
>>

>> I’m joking about the Kickstarter, but I kind of like the idea of a little
>> physical Koha bug display :p.
>>

>> David Cook
>>
>> Systems Librarian
>>
>> Prosentient Systems
>>
>> 72/330 Wattle St
>>
>> Ultimo, NSW 2007
>>
>> Australia
>>

>> Office: 02 9212 0899
>>
>> Direct: 02 8005 0595

+1 for improving the dashboard

Instead of listing the oldest bugs, which may not be that interesting, we should list the critical ones on top. The need to click on that line should be removed. See them rightaway. Maybe we can put these oldies somewhere down on the page in order to not forget them?

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Hugo Agud-3
+1 for improving the dashboard
+1 a place for Release Manager warnings, notices. requests...etc

+1 for improving the dashboard

Instead of listing the oldest bugs, which may not be that interesting, we should list the critical ones on top. The need to click on that line should be removed. See them rightaway. Maybe we can put these oldies somewhere down on the page in order to not forget them?

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

BWS Johnson-2
Salvete!

      Crazy idea:

      Most of our developers have been at this a while. They've submitted a lot of patches. Is there anyone with a machine learning knack that could apply ML in such a way to suggest a next patch for developers based on their prior submissions?

Cheers,
Brooke

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Marc Véron

Am 11.08.2017 um 11:55 schrieb Marcel de Rooy:

+1 for improving the dashboard

Instead of listing the oldest bugs, which may not be that interesting, we should list the critical ones on top. The need to click on that line should be removed. See them rightaway. Maybe we can put these oldies somewhere down on the page in order to not forget them?

Re: FW: Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Marc Véron

Sorry for the empty message... What I wanted to say:

+1 for improving the dashboard
(I always check the dashboard first, then the Bug tracker, then the list of bugs to sign off, then my open bugs...)

Maybe the Dashboard could contain the links to the newest bugs / changed bugs from the Bug trackers start page:

Bugs reported in the last 24 hours   | last 7 days
Bugs changed in the last 24 hours   | last 7 days

Marc