Very, very multlingual resource library - any suggestions?

Very, very multlingual resource library - any suggestions?

intelegant
Hi, firstly, excuse me I really am new (and a newbie). I have successfully
installed Debian and Koha, and now, I'm looking for any advice and ideas.

This cataloging system is for a small departmental library, around 10,000
physical items, with a need for extensibility, resilience, and stability. So
all good.

However, this is the bilingual department of a city in the Nordic - we have
some 32 languages represented. So the interface must be in a Nordic
language, but search should allow UTF-8 characters from every major language
including Chinese, Arabic, Amharic, Thai, Vietnamese, Russian, etc; etc;

While this makes it a really interesting problem, it would be good to avoid
rookie mistakes.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated particularly if you have experience
of bilingual, trilingual, or multilingual set-ups.

Thanks :-)

--
Sent from: http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Koha-general-f3047918.html

Re: Very, very multlingual resource library - any suggestions?

welcome to the community :)

If you are going to use Zebra, you will want to set it up to use ICU
from the beginning. It will enable you to search for non-latin characters.

You can find some notes about configuration here:

https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/ICU_chains_configuration
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/ICU_Chains_Library

Another very multi-lingual library (BULAC) has also reported quite good
results using Elasticsearch for their collection at the last KohaCon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIB00vFZgeY

Hope this helps,

Katrin