Upgrading Koha's license?

Owen Leonard-4
I have been working on incorporating some features of the Bootstrap
framework into Koha (http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap). It offers
some nice features that can help us finish getting rid of YUI.

However, Bootstrap's license is Apache 2.0 which I'm told is
incompatible with Koha's GPL2 license.

What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?

Thanks

  Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Robin Sheat-2
Op 15-11-12 08:40, Owen Leonard schreef:
> However, Bootstrap's license is Apache 2.0 which I'm told is
> incompatible with Koha's GPL2 license.
>
> What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?

Distribute it as GPLv3:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv3-compatible_licenses
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/new-license-recommendations-guide

Robin.

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Chris Cormack-6
On 15 November 2012 08:45, Robin Sheat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op 15-11-12 08:40, Owen Leonard schreef:
>> However, Bootstrap's license is Apache 2.0 which I'm told is
>> incompatible with Koha's GPL2 license.
>>
>> What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?
>
> Distribute it as GPLv3:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
> http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv3-compatible_licenses
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/new-license-recommendations-guide

+1 for GPLv3

Chris

> Robin.

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Jared Camins-Esakov-2
> However, Bootstrap's license is Apache 2.0 which I'm told is
> incompatible with Koha's GPL2 license.
>
> What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?

Distribute it as GPLv3:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv3-compatible_licenses
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/new-license-recommendations-guide

+1 for upgrading to GPLv3+

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Christopher Nighswonger
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Robin Sheat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Op 15-11-12 08:40, Owen Leonard schreef:
> However, Bootstrap's license is Apache 2.0 which I'm told is
> incompatible with Koha's GPL2 license.
>
> What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?

Distribute it as GPLv3:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv3-compatible_licenses
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/new-license-recommendations-guide

+1  GPLv3+

Kind Regards,

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Fischer, Katrin
AW: [Koha-devel] Upgrading Koha's license?

+1 for GPL3 from me too

On 15 November 2012 08:45, Robin Sheat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Op 15-11-12 08:40, Owen Leonard schreef:
>> However, Bootstrap's license is Apache 2.0 which I'm told is
>> incompatible with Koha's GPL2 license.
>>
>> What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?
>
> Distribute it as GPLv3:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
> http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv3-compatible_licenses
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/new-license-recommendations-guide

+1 for GPLv3

Chris

> Robin.

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Magnus Enger
>>> What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?
>>
>> Distribute it as GPLv3:

+1 from me, if it means being able to use Bootstrap awesomeness.

But what do we actually have to do to distribute as GPLv3? Do we just
have to vote at an IRC meeting, or would all ~200 developers with code
in Koha have to give their written consent or something?

Best regards,
Magnus Enger
libriotech.no

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

BWS Johnson-2
Salvete!

> But what do we actually have to do to distribute as GPLv3? Do we just
> have to vote at an IRC meeting, or would all ~200 developers with code
> in Koha have to give their written consent or something?

    I'd say simple majority at an IRC meeting with this advertised on the agenda so it doesn't sneak up and bite anyone. Trying to track down all of the ~200 developers seems incredibly time consuming, and as things progress, increasingly less possible. (Touch wood, but people cross over.) I know we've discussed it in past, so it shouldn't be a shock. It'd be great to get a real vote. :D

My 2 beads,
Brooke

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Robin Sheat-2
Magnus Enger schreef op wo 14-11-2012 om 22:04 [+0100]:
> But what do we actually have to do to distribute as GPLv3? Do we just
> have to vote at an IRC meeting, or would all ~200 developers with code
> in Koha have to give their written consent or something?

No, because the code is mostly "GPLv2, or at your option, a later
version", all you have to do is say "this copy is GPLv3 unless you strip
out the bootstrap code."

There is actually some GPLv3 code already in there, parts of the
packaging stuff, so a package install is GPLv3 anyway unless you were to
remove those parts.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Brendan Gallagher
+1 for GPL3

On 2012-11-15, at 10:04 AM, Magnus Enger wrote:

>>> Distribute it as GPLv3:
>
> +1 from me, if it means being able to use Bootstrap awesomeness.

+1 for GPL3

> But what do we actually have to do to distribute as GPLv3?

just update the license headers to GPL3 in the Koha codebase, (a script can do this task)

> Do we just have to vote at an IRC meeting,

yes, or a vote via the Koha mailing-list, or via limesurvey.org

+1 for an IRC meeting vote

> or would all ~200 developers with code in Koha have to give their written consent or something?

no consent is needed. (consent was already given, when the code was released as GPL2+)

Brendan A. Gallagher
ByWater Solutions
CEO
Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Installation, Data Migration, Training, Customization, Hosting
and Complete Support Packages
Headquarters: Santa Barbara, CA - Office: West Haven, CT
Phone # (888) 900-8944
http://bywatersolutions.com

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

nengard

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Magnus Enger
On 14 November 2012 22:35, BWS Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     I'd say simple majority at an IRC meeting with this advertised on the agenda so it doesn't sneak up and bite anyone.

I have added it to the agenda:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/General_IRC_meeting,_5_December_2012

Best regards,
Magnus

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

MartinRenvoize
+1 for GPL3.

Also, I've been prototyping a new theme written from scratch using Zurb Foundation (MIT License) as a framework (and SCSS as a css pre-processor), admittedly it's not got much beyond the opac-main page yet.  I'de be interested to see how your Bootstrap work compares to the Foundation alternative Owen.

Martin

On 15 November 2012 07:00, Magnus Enger <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 November 2012 22:35, BWS Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     I'd say simple majority at an IRC meeting with this advertised on the agenda so it doesn't sneak up and bite anyone.

I have added it to the agenda:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/General_IRC_meeting,_5_December_2012

Best regards,
Magnus

--
Martin Renvoize
Software Engineer, PTFS Europe Ltd
Skype:
Mobile: 07725985636

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Kyle Hall
+1 for GPLv3

and a +1 for Bootstrap!

Kyle

http://www.kylehall.info
ByWater Solutions ( http://bywatersolutions.com )
Meadville Public Library ( http://www.meadvillelibrary.org )
Crawford County Federated Library System ( http://www.ccfls.org )
Mill Run Technology Solutions ( http://millruntech.com )

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Robin Sheat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Op 15-11-12 08:40, Owen Leonard schreef:
> However, Bootstrap's license is Apache 2.0 which I'm told is
> incompatible with Koha's GPL2 license.
>
> What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?

Distribute it as GPLv3:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv3-compatible_licenses
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/new-license-recommendations-guide

Robin.

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Dobrica Pavlinusic
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 08:45:54AM +1300, Robin Sheat wrote:
> Distribute it as GPLv3:

+1 for GPLv3+

--
Dobrica Pavlinusic               2share!2flame            [hidden email]
Unix addict. Internet consultant.             http://www.rot13.org/~dpavlin

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

MJ Ray-2
Owen Leonard <[hidden email]>
> However, Bootstrap's license is Apache 2.0 which I'm told is
> incompatible with Koha's GPL2 license.
>
> What do we need to do to make inclusion of Bootstrap possible?

Probably nothing.  Is this mere aggregation, or are you planning to
include Bootstrap dependencies into GPL2+ code?

At worst, parts derived from Bootstrap would need to go GPL3+ - if
it does, would relevant authors/holders be willing to grant the
following exceptions?

     1. Developers need publish their modifications only (not the
     whole application source code with all unusual libraries) and
     link back to our public community source code repository.

     2. The running application need not check if the source code is
     currently on-line (so long as it is usually and can be
     requested).

We call these the Co-operative Exceptions and use them on another
project.

http://koha-community.org supporter, web and library systems developer.

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

MJ Ray-2
Mason James <[hidden email]>
> On 2012-11-15, at 10:04 AM, Magnus Enger wrote:
> > But what do we actually have to do to distribute as GPLv3?
>
> just update the license headers to GPL3 in the Koha codebase, (a
> script can do this task)

I feel that would be misrepresenting GPL2+ code as GPL3+ - lying, more
or less.  I would prefer it if we only updated headers to GPL3+ when
the code in that file actually changes to require the licence change.

Hope that explains,

Op 16-11-12 09:00, MJ Ray schreef:
> I feel that would be misrepresenting GPL2+ code as GPL3+ - lying, more
> or less.  I would prefer it if we only updated headers to GPL3+ when
> the code in that file actually changes to require the licence change.

There is no real point changing the headers on their own, but changing
them if there's a particular desire or reason to isn't bad. If I add
code, and I want it to be GPL3+, changing the headers is then the
correct thing to do.

TBH, if we changed a couple of core parts (e.g. C4::Context and
C4::Template) that would effectively flow on to the rest of the bundle,
unless someone who particularly wanted a GPL2 version reverted them.

Robin.

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

Robin Sheat-2
Op 16-11-12 08:53, MJ Ray schreef:
> Probably nothing.  Is this mere aggregation, or are you planning to
> include Bootstrap dependencies into GPL2+ code?

Assuming bootstrap is a JS/CSS library, when you include it into the
template, you're (I'm not a lawyer) linking in a way very much akin to
linking a C library I would think.

Robin.

Re: Upgrading Koha's license?

MJ Ray-2
Robin Sheat <[hidden email]>
> Op 16-11-12 08:53, MJ Ray schreef:
> > Probably nothing.  Is this mere aggregation, or are you planning to
> > include Bootstrap dependencies into GPL2+ code?
>
> Assuming bootstrap is a JS/CSS library, when you include it into the
> template, you're (I'm not a lawyer) linking in a way very much akin to
> linking a C library I would think.

Really?  Isn't this closer to use'ing a perl module than linking a C
library?  Unless we get into stuff like precompiling templates to
include bits of Bootstrap.  Anyone know the case law?  After the awful
GPL3 drafting process, I walked away from licensing theory a bit so
I'm not 100% sure.

Even if it was like C linking, that would move only koha-tmpl to GPL3+
(because it derives from both the GPL2+ perl parts of Koha and the AL2
Bootstrap), but the perl parts could remain GPL2+ without problem.

http://koha-community.org supporter, web and library systems developer.