Upgrade from Koha version 2.5 to 3.x

damienm
Hi,

I'm  new to Koha and have inherited a very old koha install. I'm wanting to move the instance to a new VM and thought it may be a good opportunity to upgrade too. Can anyone please assist in the recommend steps to do so?

Thank you in advance..

Damien

Re: Upgrade from Koha version 2.5 to 3.x

Indranil Das Gupta
Hi Damien,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:30 AM, damienm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm  new to Koha and have inherited a very old koha install. I'm wanting to
> move the instance to a new VM and thought it may be a good opportunity to
> upgrade too. Can anyone please assist in the recommend steps to do so?
>
> Thank you in advance..
>
> Damien

Indranil Das Gupta

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Indranil Das Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Damien,
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:30 AM, damienm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm  new to Koha and have inherited a very old koha install. I'm wanting to
>> move the instance to a new VM and thought it may be a good opportunity to
>> upgrade too. Can anyone please assist in the recommend steps to do so?

Couple of points:

The starting point would this http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Upgrading_2.2

Then to ensure that 952 is moved to items table

And a close watch at the updatedatabase.pl output. A few errors can be
ignored, but some would needed to addressed.

and of course a zebra reindex once all that is over.

basically that is pretty much the deal.

cheers,
-idg

--
Indranil Das Gupta

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg

Re: Upgrade from Koha version 2.5 to 3.x

Mark Tompsett
Greetings,

Indranil's suggested process direction seems good.

Though, sometimes an upgrade is an opportunity to lose the junk.
However, perhaps you may wish to take this opportunity to do a fresh
install, and import cleaned MARC records into the fresh install? I would
also take note of any other settings which might be useful (custom reports,
branches, system preference settings, etc.). There is, after all, multiple
ways to accomplish the same thing. :)

GPML,
Mark Tompsett

Re: Upgrade from Koha version 2.5 to 3.x

damienm
Thank you - clean install sounds like a very good option. Is there an  easy way to export the data I need or is it more the case copying the database tables from old instance to the new?

Best Regards

Damien Mannix
Senior Systems Administrator

Email Reference  |  M02...E
AMOG Pty Ltd
19 Business Park Drive, Notting Hill Vic 3168, Australia

T +61 3 9542 3700  |  F  +61 3 9542 3790  |  M  +61 423 717 566
E mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.amog.consulting/

Australia  |  United States  |  Colombia  |  United Kingdom  |  Malaysia

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee or addressees named above and associated project team members, as dictated by project requirements, and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please let us know immediately by return e-mail and then delete this e-mail, without disclosing or copying the contents. The content of emails to and from AMOG Consulting is monitored for corporate governance purposes. Emails addressed to individuals within AMOG may be copied to other AMOG staff as dictated by project requirements. AMOG does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this message which may arise as a result of the email transmission. We recommend that you confirm correct transmission by reference to the original in hard copy form or other means before relying on information contained herein for design, construction or operational purposes

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Mark Tompsett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Indranil's suggested process direction seems good.
>
> Though, sometimes an upgrade is an opportunity to lose the junk.
> However, perhaps you may wish to take this opportunity to do a fresh
> install, and import cleaned MARC records into the fresh install?

I agree. But you may need to hand-code a bit of the exporter code.
After all in 2.2.x days, the MARC record exporter IIRC didn't export
items.

cheers,