Unable to search

chomp
Hi there

I have recently joined a library that is attempting to get Koha operational.

Due to a number of factors, we decided to do a fresh installation of
Debian and Koha to try a fix a few problems and gain some
understanding of how the system works.

We installed Debian Lenny and Koha 3.00.05, the installtion seemed to go fine.

Before running ./rebuild_zebra -b -a -z we did a dump of the data from
the previous installation (koha-3.00.04) and loaded it into the
freshly created koha-3.00.05 database. I then ran rebuild_zebra and
tried searching the opac only to be faced with "No Result found!" I
get the same message when I try a catalogue search through the staff
interface.

Can anyone tell me something I may have missed? Or where I should be
looking to find out what has gone wrong?

Many thanks,
Catherine Chambers
Systems Librarian : Mzuzu University : Malawi

Re: Unable to search

Chris Nighswonger
Hi Catherine,

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Catherine Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there

I have recently joined a library that is attempting to get Koha operational.

Due to a number of factors, we decided to do a fresh installation of
Debian and Koha to try a fix a few problems and gain some
understanding of how the system works.

We installed Debian Lenny and Koha 3.00.05, the installtion seemed to go fine.

Before running ./rebuild_zebra -b -a -z we did a dump of the data from
the previous installation (koha-3.00.04) and loaded it into the
freshly created koha-3.00.05 database. I then ran rebuild_zebra and
tried searching the opac only to be faced with "No Result found!" I
get the same message when I try a catalogue search through the staff
interface.

Can anyone tell me something I may have missed? Or where I should be
looking to find out what has gone wrong?

Go through these FAQs regarding searching first:

http://koha-community.org/documentation/faq/searching/

The let us know if there is still a problem.

Kind Regards,

Re: Unable to search

Chris Cormack-6
After doing the dump and restore you should have been prompted to run
the web installer again. Assuming this ran ok then those FAQs are a
good start. Sing out if it doesnt help.

Chris

On 05/05/2010, Chris Nighswonger <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi Catherine,
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Catherine Chambers <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I have recently joined a library that is attempting to get Koha
>> operational.
>>
>> Due to a number of factors, we decided to do a fresh installation of
>> Debian and Koha to try a fix a few problems and gain some
>> understanding of how the system works.
>>
>> We installed Debian Lenny and Koha 3.00.05, the installtion seemed to go
>> fine.
>>
>> Before running ./rebuild_zebra -b -a -z we did a dump of the data from
>> the previous installation (koha-3.00.04) and loaded it into the
>> freshly created koha-3.00.05 database. I then ran rebuild_zebra and
>> tried searching the opac only to be faced with "No Result found!" I
>> get the same message when I try a catalogue search through the staff
>> interface.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me something I may have missed? Or where I should be
>> looking to find out what has gone wrong?
>>

> Go through these FAQs regarding searching first:
>
> http://koha-community.org/documentation/faq/searching/
>
> The let us know if there is still a problem.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Chris

Re: Unable to search

chomp
thank you for your replies.

I was indeed prompted to run the web installer again after i had completed the dump and restore, this seemed to run fine.

i have been through the FAQ and everything seems to look ok. i have PERL5LIB and KOHA_CONF set in the /etc/profile file, i am running rebuild_zebra as the koha user, everything seems to be owned by koha. the only thing that i can see from here that might be amiss is that i might have inadvertently started the zebraqueue daemon, when i type ps aux, i get a couple of lines that say:
koha      2577  0.0  0.0   2244   540 ?        Ss   09:41   0:00 daemon --name=koha-zebra-ctl.mzunikoha --errlog=/var/log/koha/koha-zebradaemon.err --stdout=
koha      2582  0.0  2.4  32016 24876 ?        S    09:41   0:01 perl -I /usr/share/koha/lib /usr/share/koha/bin/zebraqueue_daemon.pl -f /etc/koha/koha-conf.

could they be anything to do with it or am i way off?

When i ran rebuild_zebra with switches -b -a -z, it took approximately 1 second to return to the prompt. i tried running it with switches -b -a -r, and it took much longer - about 10 minutes and returned a few messages that said something about not being able to find headings, and now when i try and run rebuild_zebra with either -z or -r i get an error that says DBD driver has not implemented the AutoCommit attribute at /usr/lib/perl5/DBI.pm line 690. and immediately returns to the prompt.

tia,
catherine

On 4 May 2010 23:05, Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> wrote:
After doing the dump and restore you should have been prompted to run
the web installer again. Assuming this ran ok then those FAQs are a
good start. Sing out if it doesnt help.

Chris

On 05/05/2010, Chris Nighswonger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Hi Catherine,
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Catherine Chambers <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I have recently joined a library that is attempting to get Koha
>> operational.
>>
>> Due to a number of factors, we decided to do a fresh installation of
>> Debian and Koha to try a fix a few problems and gain some
>> understanding of how the system works.
>>
>> We installed Debian Lenny and Koha 3.00.05, the installtion seemed to go
>> fine.
>>
>> Before running ./rebuild_zebra -b -a -z we did a dump of the data from
>> the previous installation (koha-3.00.04) and loaded it into the
>> freshly created koha-3.00.05 database. I then ran rebuild_zebra and
>> tried searching the opac only to be faced with "No Result found!" I
>> get the same message when I try a catalogue search through the staff
>> interface.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me something I may have missed? Or where I should be
>> looking to find out what has gone wrong?
>>

> Go through these FAQs regarding searching first:
>
> http://koha-community.org/documentation/faq/searching/
>
> The let us know if there is still a problem.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Chris

Re: Unable to search

Chris Nighswonger
Hi Catherine,

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Catherine Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the only thing that i can see from here that might be amiss is that i might have inadvertently started the zebraqueue daemon, when i type ps aux, i get a couple of lines that say:
>
> koha      2577  0.0  0.0   2244   540 ?        Ss   09:41   0:00 daemon --name=koha-zebra-ctl.mzunikoha --errlog=/var/log/koha/koha-zebradaemon.err --stdout=
> koha      2582  0.0  2.4  32016 24876 ?        S    09:41   0:01 perl -I /usr/share/koha/lib /usr/share/koha/bin/zebraqueue_daemon.pl -f /etc/koha/koha-conf.
>
> could they be anything to do with it or am i way off?

You should kill the zebraqueue daemon for starters. It has problems and is currently not the recommended way to keep zebra indexed.

> When i ran rebuild_zebra with switches -b -a -z, it took approximately 1 second to return to the prompt. i tried running it with switches -b -a -r, and it took much longer - about 10 minutes  and returned a few messages that said something about not being able to find headings, and now when i try and run rebuild_zebra with either -z or -r i get an error that says DBD driver has not implemented the AutoCommit attribute at /usr/lib/perl5/DBI.pm line 690. and immediately returns to the prompt.

Try running 'rebuild_zebra.pl -b -a -r -v' and post any errors it throws.

Kind Regards,

Re: Unable to search

chomp
i am now positive that it was the zebra daemon that was causing the problems, and then managed to break a couple of other things trying to fix it >.<

i decided to reinstall koha, this time ensuring i didn't start any zebra daemons or other such things and it searches perfectly

much thanks,
catherine