Unable install SUDO

Takan
Sir/Madam

I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free repository
in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem with
repository.

Kindly help me which repositories are required ?

Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Katrin Fischer-2
Hi Rajesh,

which installation instructions for Koha are you using? Which version
are you trying to install and what is the Debian version?

Katrin

On 11.03.2018 03:36, takan bhatt wrote:

> Sir/Madam
>
> I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free repository
> in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
> not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
> necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem with
> repository.
>
> Kindly help me which repositories are required ?
>
> Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Chris Brown
Takan,

sudo is a standard tool that is part of the Debian distribution. You should
not need to install it separately. Note it is "sudo" not "Sudo". Command
names in Linux are case sensitive.

Chris Brown

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 2:36 AM, takan bhatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sir/Madam
>
> I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free repository
> in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
> not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
> necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem with
> repository.
>
> Kindly help me which repositories are required ?
>
> Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Narcis Garcia
The only instruction:
apt-get install sudo

El 11/03/18 a les 03:36, takan bhatt ha escrit:

> Sir/Madam
>
> I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free repository
> in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
> not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
> necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem with
> repository.
>
> Kindly help me which repositories are required ?
>
> Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Johan Seyfferdt
Hi Takan

You can either login as root by typing su and at the password prompt your
root password.

Or go to the user manager setting and add your username to be part of the
sudo group

On Mar 11, 2018 04:37, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sir/Madam
>
> I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free repository
> in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
> not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
> necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem with
> repository.
>
> Kindly help me which repositories are required ?
>
> Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Takan
Sir /Madam

What I did I explain

1. Install Virtual Box
2 Install Debian Xfce from ISO file latest version that I think 9 (stretch)
3 Internet was not accessible inside Debian Browser
4. Edited Repository and added non-free
5. Made internet accessible
6. Use apt-get update then Upgrade command
7. I saw updation was not properly done so again and again updated
8 used apt-get install sudo command

I got following error (sudo is necessary to install koha )

E: could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily
unavailable) E: unable to lock the administration directory (var/lib/dpkg),
its another process using it

Kindly Help me to resolve this problem.

While updating and other processes power went down frequently.

I think something problem is with sources.list file.

Pls help

Rajesh Bhatt

On Sun 11 Mar, 2018, 7:00 PM Johan Seyfferdt, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Takan
>
> You can either login as root by typing su and at the password prompt your
> root password.
>
> Or go to the user manager setting and add your username to be part of the
> sudo group
>
> On Mar 11, 2018 04:37, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sir/Madam
>>
>> I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free repository
>> in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
>> not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
>> necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem with
>> repository.
>>
>> Kindly help me which repositories are required ?
>>
>> Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Indranil Das Gupta
Rajesh,

On 11-Mar-2018 7:42 PM, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

E: could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily
unavailable) E: unable to lock the administration directory (var/lib/dpkg),
its another process using it

You have a stale lock file preventing you from executing the apt command.

Remove the lock file and you should be able to run your command.

Kindly Help me to resolve this problem.

While updating and other processes power went down frequently.

^^^ this is the likely  key to your problem. The interruptions due to power
most likely led apt to an unclean exit and thus the stale lock file.

I think something problem is with sources.list file.

Unlikely, if you have followed the instructions correctly.

Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies.

Pls help

Rajesh Bhatt

On Sun 11 Mar, 2018, 7:00 PM Johan Seyfferdt, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Takan
>
> You can either login as root by typing su and at the password prompt your
> root password.
>
> Or go to the user manager setting and add your username to be part of the
> sudo group
>
> On Mar 11, 2018 04:37, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sir/Madam
>>
>> I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free
repository
>> in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
>> not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
>> necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem
with

>> repository.
>>
>> Kindly help me which repositories are required ?
>>
>> Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Takan
Thanks Indranil Sir and others,

If possible pls give me solution. So I don't have to reinstall Linux again

On Sun 11 Mar, 2018, 7:59 PM Indranil Das Gupta, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rajesh,
>
> On 11-Mar-2018 7:42 PM, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> E: could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily
> unavailable) E: unable to lock the administration directory (var/lib/dpkg),
> its another process using it
>

> You have a stale lock file preventing you from executing the apt command.
>
> Remove the lock file and you should be able to run your command.
>
> Kindly Help me to resolve this problem.
>
> While updating and other processes power went down frequently.
>

> ^^^ this is the likely  key to your problem. The interruptions due to
> power most likely led apt to an unclean exit and thus the stale lock file.
>
> I think something problem is with sources.list file.
>

> Unlikely, if you have followed the instructions correctly.
>
> Indranil Das Gupta
> L2C2 Technologies.
>

> Pls help
>
> Rajesh Bhatt
>
> On Sun 11 Mar, 2018, 7:00 PM Johan Seyfferdt, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Takan
> >
> > You can either login as root by typing su and at the password prompt your
> > root password.
> >
> > Or go to the user manager setting and add your username to be part of the
> > sudo group
> >
> > On Mar 11, 2018 04:37, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Sir/Madam
> >>
> >> I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free
> repository
> >> in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
> >> not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
> >> necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem
> with
> >> repository.
> >>
> >> Kindly help me which repositories are required ?
> >>
> >> Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Chris Brown
Hi takan

The error about "could not get lock" may mean that you have another package
management tool running (perhaps a graphical tool?). You will see a similar
error if you're not running the command as root.

BTW I don't think you really need to use sudo to install Koha. For example
instead of doing:

$ sudo koha-create ...

you could get a root command prompt with

$ su -

and then simply run those privileged commands directly:

# koha-create ...

Regards,

Chris Brown

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 2:11 PM, takan bhatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sir /Madam
>
> What I did I explain
>
> 1. Install Virtual Box
> 2 Install Debian Xfce from ISO file latest version that I think 9 (stretch)
> 3 Internet was not accessible inside Debian Browser
> 4. Edited Repository and added non-free
> 5. Made internet accessible
> 6. Use apt-get update then Upgrade command
> 7. I saw updation was not properly done so again and again updated
> 8 used apt-get install sudo command
>
> I got following error (sudo is necessary to install koha )
>
> E: could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily
> unavailable) E: unable to lock the administration directory (var/lib/dpkg),
> its another process using it
>
> Kindly Help me to resolve this problem.
>
> While updating and other processes power went down frequently.
>
> I think something problem is with sources.list file.
>
> Pls help
>
> Rajesh Bhatt
>
> On Sun 11 Mar, 2018, 7:00 PM Johan Seyfferdt, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Takan
> >
> > You can either login as root by typing su and at the password prompt your
> > root password.
> >
> > Or go to the user manager setting and add your username to be part of the
> > sudo group
> >
> > On Mar 11, 2018 04:37, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Sir/Madam
> >>
> >> I have installed Debian Xfce in Virtual Box also added non-free
> repository
> >> in sources.list. Then updated and upgraded with apt-get. but updation is
> >> not going smoothly. then after I am unable to install Sudo and this is
> >> necessary step in koha installation. I think this is probably problem
> with
> >> repository.
> >>
> >> Kindly help me which repositories are required ?
> >>
> >> Rajesh Bhatt

Re: Unable install SUDO

Takan
Chris Sir,

As per documentation,

Set up package sources

Add the GPG key to your system so that you know that the packages haven't
been tampered with:

 $ wget -q -O- https://debian.koha-community.org/koha/gpg.asc | sudo
apt-key add -

I think sudo is required to add koha key.

You are experienced person, I am just beginner.  You could suggest me
alternative or solution.

Rajesh Bhatt

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 11:34 PM, Chris Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi takan
>
> The error about "could not get lock" may mean that you have another
> package management tool running (perhaps a graphical tool?). You will see a
> similar error if you're not running the command as root.
>
> BTW I don't think you really need to use sudo to install Koha. For example
> instead of doing:
>
> $ sudo koha-create ...
>
> you could get a root command prompt with
>
> $ su -
>
> and then simply run those privileged commands directly:
>
> # koha-create ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Brown
>

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 2:11 PM, takan bhatt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Sir /Madam
>>
>> What I did I explain
>>
>> 1. Install Virtual Box
>> 2 Install Debian Xfce from ISO file latest version that I think 9
>> (stretch)
>> 3 Internet was not accessible inside Debian Browser
>> 4. Edited Repository and added non-free
>> 5. Made internet accessible
>> 6. Use apt-get update then Upgrade command
>> 7. I saw updation was not properly done so again and again updated
>> 8 used apt-get install sudo command
>>
>> I got following error (sudo is necessary to install koha )
>>
>> E: could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily
>> unavailable) E: unable to lock the administration directory
>> (var/lib/dpkg),
>> its another process using it
>>
>> Kindly Help me to resolve this problem.
>>
>> While updating and other processes power went down frequently.
>>
>> I think something problem is with sources.list file.
>>
>> Pls help
>>
>> Rajesh Bhatt
>>
>> On Sun 11 Mar, 2018, 7:00 PM Johan Seyfferdt, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Takan
>> >
>> > You can either login as root by typing su and at the password prompt
>> your
>> > root password.
>> >
>> > Or go to the user manager setting and add your username to be part of
>> the
>> > sudo group

>> repository
>> is
>> with

Re: Unable install SUDO

Indranil Das Gupta
Rajesh,

On 12-Mar-2018 9:36 AM, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

$ wget -q -O- https://debian.koha-community.org/koha/gpg.asc | sudo
apt-key add -

I think sudo is required to add koha key

sudo *is* required for this step *only* if you are logged in as a non-root
user. If you are logged in as root, then you do not require the sudo.

That's exactly what Chris Brown mentioned.

Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Re: Unable install SUDO

Indranil Das Gupta
On 12-Mar-2018 10:14 AM, "Indranil Das Gupta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rajesh,

On 12-Mar-2018 9:36 AM, "takan bhatt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

$ wget -q -O- https://debian.koha-community.org/koha/gpg.asc | sudo
apt-key add -

I think sudo is required to add koha key

sudo *is* required for this step *only* if you are logged in as a non-root
user. If you are logged in as root, then you do not require the sudo.

That's exactly what Chris Brown mentioned.

Adding to that - the documentation expects you to understand after seeing
the "$" in front of the command that it is illustrating a case where you
are logged on as non-root user.

If I were you, i would concentrate on polishing up my linux admin skills.
:-)

Regards
-idg

Indranil Das Gupta