Test: planned count or done_testing()

Mark Tompsett
Greetings,

While testing various bugs, frequently conflicts come up with tests where one bug adds a test, and another adds two tests, and the count difference causes the need to correct the test plan count while rebasing. So, I was wondering if perhaps when adding tests we could switch to just done_testing() and not actually use test counts, so adding and removing tests will not need fixing of line or lines that have a plan count. Thoughts?

GPML,
Mark Tompsett

Re: Test: planned count or done_testing()

Marcel de Rooy

Less strict, but more pragmatic.

I think we spend more time on rebasing test counts than we will probably spend on checking tests that passed but should have failed on counts. We can always add a count where we really want it.

No objection from me.

Re: Test: planned count or done_testing()

Indranil Das Gupta-3
+1 from me.

--
Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://blog.l2c2.co.in
IRC     : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Mason James <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 14/11/17 05:43, Mark Tompsett wrote:
Greetings,

While testing various bugs, frequently conflicts come up with tests where one bug adds a test, and another adds two tests, and the count difference causes the need to correct the test plan count while rebasing. So, I was wondering if perhaps when adding tests we could switch to just done_testing() and not actually use test counts, so adding and removing tests will not need fixing of line or lines that have a plan count. Thoughts?

GPML,
Mark Tompsett

hmm, i can't think of a reason why this would be a bad idea.. anyone?

..so +1 from me :0)

Re: Test: planned count or done_testing()

Kyle Hall
+1 from me as well!

Kyle

http://www.kylehall.info
ByWater Solutions ( http://bywatersolutions.com )
Meadville Public Library ( http://www.meadvillelibrary.org )
Crawford County Federated Library System ( http://www.ccfls.org )

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Indranil Das Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 from me.

--
Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : <a href="tel:+91%2098300%2020971" value="+919830020971" target="_blank">+91-98300-20971
[...]

I do not think it's a good idea, it can hide bugs [examples needed]

> We can always add a count where we really want it.

When do you know it is needed? :)

We could also use
use Test::More plan => $number_of_tests;
BEGIN{ $number_of_tests += 1 };
subtest "first subtest" => sub { ok(); }
BEGIN{ $number_of_tests += 1 };
subtest "second subtest" => sub { ok(); }

But I am not a fan of this but we avoid useless conflicts and keep the plan.

refs:

Cheers,
Jonathan