Storing non-MARC data in biblio_metadata

Storing non-MARC data in biblio_metadata

David Cook

Hi all,

How do people feel about storing non-MARC metadata in the biblio_metadata table?

Typically, the “format” column contains the string “marcxml” and the “metadata” column contains the MARCXML text, but it seems like someone could put in “RDF/XML” and RDFXML text instead?

The one barrier to that is the “marcflavour” column which is a “NOT NULL” column. I mean… that could be an empty string… but I wonder if there’s a way of de-MARCing that column?

I’m trying to think of analogs for other scenarios. I mean in the case of RDF… you might have RDF/XML or JSON-LD… which are separate formats but they’re both “RDF”.

I wonder if “marcflavour” could be better known as “schema”, or “model”, or “standard”, or something else?

I know choosing wording is hard. For instance, MARC::File::XML (https://metacpan.org/pod/MARC::File::XML) refers to UNIMARC and MARC21 as formats. Dublin Core and MODS are often referred to as schemas. MARC21 is often called a standard. According to http://www.loc.gov/marc/unimarctomarc21.html, UNIMARC and MARC21 are formats. RDF gets called a data model with different data serialization formats.

I know it would probably be a lot of work to change “marcflavour” to something else, especially since we’ve all been familiar with “marcflavour” for many years now, but I’m thinking maybe it’s time we change that name.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Direct: 02 8005 0595

Re: Storing non-MARC data in biblio_metadata

Tomas Cohen Arazi
It should be schema. We didn't want to change many things at a time in such a sensitive tables.

It should probably pick Koha::MetadataRecord ideas.

The main problem is making Koha aware of this in all senses.
Definitely needs an RFC!

Cheers

El vie., 10 de ago. de 2018 05:44, David Cook <[hidden email]> escribió:

[...]

Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io)
✆ +54 9351 3513384
GPG: B2F3C15F

Re: Storing non-MARC data in biblio_metadata

David Cook

I don’t think we previously stored the marcflavour anywhere except in the systempreferences table though?

A quick grep suggests that the biblio_metadata.marcflavour column is mostly unused at the moment?

Changing the system preference “marcflavour” doesn’t seem feasible or even necessary (at least at this point), but I think changing the marcflavour column in the biblio_metadata table might not be too bad?

I suppose a workaround could be to make an alias in the BiblioMetadata.pm file to point “schema” at “marcflavour”?

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St