Stack Smashing

Chadwick, John, DCA

Here is a good challenge. I have seen this question posed a few times, but have not seen an answer. We are running 3.01.00.061 on Ubuntu 8.04.3. Using the icuchain method for indexing records.

When we got to just over 10,000 records we started to get the following error message when Zebra gets to the point of inserting records.

Any ideas on this one? We are running Koha 3.01.00.061 with Zebra. Rebuilding Zebra is failing and we are unable to search indexes.

*** stack smashing detected ***: zebraidx terminated
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x48)[0xb6d7cda8]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x0)[0xb6d7cd60]
/usr/lib/libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7fc10c4]
/usr/lib/libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7f69a0a]
[0x13c]

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated on this one. No one has answered on the Zebra list.

Thanks,

John Chadwick

[hidden email]

http://www.nmstatelibrary.org

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned by the Sybari - Antigen Email System.

emailsignature_html

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail,including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,use,disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message.
This email has been scanned using Webroot Email Security.

Re: Stack Smashing

Mason James-5

On 2010/01/6, at 7:07 AM, Chadwick, John, DCA wrote:

> Here is a good challenge. I have seen this question posed a few
> times, but have not seen an answer. We are running 3.01.00.061 on
> Ubuntu 8.04.3. Using the icuchain method for indexing records.
>

> When we got to just over 10,000 records we started to get the
> following error message when Zebra gets to the point of inserting
> records.
>

> Any ideas on this one? We are running Koha 3.01.00.061 with Zebra.
> Rebuilding Zebra is failing and we are unable to search indexes.
>

> *** stack smashing detected ***: zebraidx terminated=======
> Backtrace: =========/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail
> +0x48)[0xb6d7cda8]/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x0)
> [0xb6d7cd60]/usr/lib/libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7fc10c4]/usr/lib/
> libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7f69a0a][0x13c]
>

> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated on this one. No one
> has answered on the Zebra list.

hi John,

what version of zebra are you running?, the latest?
can you update your zebra to a newer version?

Mason.

Re: Stack Smashing

Chadwick, John, DCA

I am currently on 2.0.43. I did run across something about this kind of
behavior that was fixed with 2.0.24.

I am wondering if I should switch from grs xml to mod xml. Is there an
easy way to do this?

+
John Chadwick, Ed.D. Information Technology Manager
New Mexico State Library
1209 Camino Carlos Rey
Santa Fe, NM 87507
Phone: 505-476-9740  Cell: 505-629-8116 Fax: 505-476-9761
[hidden email]
http://www.nmstatelibrary.org

On 2010/01/6, at 7:07 AM, Chadwick, John, DCA wrote:

> Here is a good challenge. I have seen this question posed a few
> times, but have not seen an answer. We are running 3.01.00.061 on
> Ubuntu 8.04.3. Using the icuchain method for indexing records.
>

> When we got to just over 10,000 records we started to get the
> following error message when Zebra gets to the point of inserting
> records.
>

> Any ideas on this one? We are running Koha 3.01.00.061 with Zebra.
> Rebuilding Zebra is failing and we are unable to search indexes.
>

> *** stack smashing detected ***: zebraidx terminated=======
> Backtrace: =========/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail
> +0x48)[0xb6d7cda8]/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x0)
> [0xb6d7cd60]/usr/lib/libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7fc10c4]/usr/lib/
> libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7f69a0a][0x13c]
>

> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated on this one. No one
> has answered on the Zebra list.

hi John,

what version of zebra are you running?, the latest?
can you update your zebra to a newer version?

Mason.

This inbound email has been scanned for malicious software and
transmitted safely to you using Webroot Email  Security.

[...]

MJ Ray-2
"Chadwick, John, DCA" <[hidden email]> wrote: [...]

> *** stack smashing detected ***: zebraidx terminated
> ======= Backtrace: =========
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x48)[0xb6d7cda8]
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x0)[0xb6d7cd60]
> /usr/lib/libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7fc10c4]
> /usr/lib/libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7f69a0a]
> [0x13c]
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated on this one. No one has
> answered on the Zebra list.

[koha user list removed - please don't crosspost.]

Sounds like something caught by a protection system to me.  On further
searching, it seems that Ubuntu has gcc SSP enabled by default now:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GccSsp

It is probably best to chase this up with the Zebra list because it
looks like it is deep in libidzebra internals.  Worst case, it may
need debug versions of libc6, libidzebra and zebraidx running under
gdb to find out exactly which line of source code is causing that.

A bad fix is to rebuild libidzebra with -fno-stack-protector in
CFLAGS somehow ("export CFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector" might work)
but that won't fix any underlying cause and may well result in a
worse crash.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software
www.software.coop http://mjr.towers.org.uk        |  .... co

Re: Stack Smashing

Chadwick, John, DCA

I had run across the SSP issue in my research which is why one of the
options on the table is to move from Ubuntu to Debian. I did build a
test box using Debian Lenny and moved the production system to that
machine. Although the stack smashing went away, we still saw the
following problems in the zebraqueue log, similar to what we were seeing
on Ubuntu.

17:56:05-07/12 zebrasrv(11) [warn] Bad magic of `dict'
17:56:05-07/12 zebrasrv(11) [warn] dict_open failed
17:56:05-07/12 zebrasrv(11) [warn] bad isamb header for file isambA
17:56:05-07/12 zebrasrv(11) [warn] isamb_open failed

The problem seems to manifest itself when using icuchains for indexing
instead of the default character mapping. Using the default.idx file for
indexing does not throw the above errors, but we lose a great deal of
functionality that is important for the patrons who will be using the
system.

I did consider setting the environment with the stack protector flag
off, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I could try the export
command instead of the environment variable. You are right, this would
not get to the underlying issues.

To test the hypothesis that the issue may be related to something with
the records or number of records, our database administrator backed out
two 500 record loads she had done late last week and started loading in
smaller chunks. She got 300 records loaded late yesterday in 100 record
chunks and we did not see any log errors or stack crashing errors.

So, the mystery deepens.

John