Serials subscriptions

Andrew Buxton

Can someone tell me please exactly how to start on “Add a new subscription”?  There are two boxes against “Biblio” (the second with brackets) and underneath Search for Biblio | Create Biblio.  What do I put in what box and what is supposed to happen then?  I think it’s not working but I’d like to be sure!

Thanks,

Andrew

---
Andrew Buxton,  Library Web and Information Systems Manager
Direct line: 01273 915795   -  International +44 1273 915795
IDS website: http://www.ids.ac.uk/ Library website: http://blds.ids.ac.uk/

This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of IDS. Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9RE Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202 IDS, a charitable company limited by guarantee: Registered Charity No. 306371; Registered in England 877338; VAT No. GB 350 899914

Re: Serials subscriptions

nengard
Andrew,

This will help you with adding a subscription:

http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=c7034#AEN7037

Thanks
Nicole C. Engard
Documentation Manager

2010/5/4 Andrew Buxton <[hidden email]>:

> Can someone tell me please exactly how to start on “Add a new
> subscription”?  There are two boxes against “Biblio” (the second with
> brackets) and underneath Search for Biblio | Create Biblio.  What do I put
> in what box and what is supposed to happen then?  I think it’s not working
> but I’d like to be sure!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew
>
> ---
> Andrew Buxton,  Library Web and Information Systems Manager
> Direct line: 01273 915795   -  International +44 1273 915795
> IDS website: http://www.ids.ac.uk/ Library website: http://blds.ids.ac.uk/
>

> This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or
> confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify
> the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions
> expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
> those of IDS. Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex,
> Brighton BN1 9RE Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202 IDS, a
> charitable company limited by guarantee: Registered Charity No. 306371;
> Registered in England 877338; VAT No. GB 350 899914

Re: Serials subscriptions

Andrew Buxton
Thanks, Nicole, but I'm afraid this doesn't get me any further.  I imagine you type the biblio number in the left box and then click Search.  Is anything meant to appear then?  Should it also work if you type the title in the right box?

Andrew

This will help you with adding a subscription:

http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=c7034#AEN7037

Thanks
Nicole C. Engard
Documentation Manager

2010/5/4 Andrew Buxton <[hidden email]>:

> Can someone tell me please exactly how to start on “Add a new
> subscription”?  There are two boxes against “Biblio” (the second with
> brackets) and underneath Search for Biblio | Create Biblio.  What do I put
> in what box and what is supposed to happen then?  I think it’s not working
> but I’d like to be sure!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew
>
> ---
> Andrew Buxton,  Library Web and Information Systems Manager
> Direct line: 01273 915795   -  International +44 1273 915795
> IDS website: http://www.ids.ac.uk/ Library website: http://blds.ids.ac.uk/
>

> This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or
> confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify
> the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions
> expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
> those of IDS. Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex,
> Brighton BN1 9RE Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202 IDS, a
> charitable company limited by guarantee: Registered Charity No. 306371;
> Registered in England 877338; VAT No. GB 350 899914

This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of IDS.

Institute of Development Studies
at the University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9RE
Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202
IDS, a charitable company limited by guarantee:
Registered Charity No. 306371; Registered in England 877338;  VAT No. GB 350 899914

Re: Serials subscriptions

Henri-Damien LAURENT
Le 04/05/2010 18:24, Andrew Buxton a écrit :
> Thanks, Nicole, but I'm afraid this doesn't get me any further.  I imagine you type the biblio number in the left box and then click Search.  Is anything meant to appear then?  Should it also work if you type the title in the right box?
>
> Andrew

Hi,

click on search Biblio to search the catalogue for the biblionumber, or
enter the biblionumber of the biblio you want to link the subscription with.
Hope that helps.
--
Henri-Damien LAURENT

Re: Serials subscriptions

nengard
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Andrew Buxton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, Nicole, but I'm afraid this doesn't get me any further.  I imagine you type the biblio number in the left box and then click Search.  Is anything meant to appear then?  Should it also work if you type the title in the right box?

Okay, I'll update the manual to make it cleared - and it looks like
Henri-Damien has answered you.

> Andrew

> Andrew,
>
> This will help you with adding a subscription:
>
> http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=c7034#AEN7037
>
> Thanks
> Nicole C. Engard
> Documentation Manager
>
> 2010/5/4 Andrew Buxton <[hidden email]>:
>> Can someone tell me please exactly how to start on “Add a new
>> subscription”?  There are two boxes against “Biblio” (the second with
>> brackets) and underneath Search for Biblio | Create Biblio.  What do I put
>> in what box and what is supposed to happen then?  I think it’s not working
>> but I’d like to be sure!
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> ---
>> Andrew Buxton,  Library Web and Information Systems Manager
>> Direct line: 01273 915795   -  International +44 1273 915795
>> IDS website: http://www.ids.ac.uk/ Library website: http://blds.ids.ac.uk/
>>

>> This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or
>> confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify
>> the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions
>> expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
>> those of IDS. Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex,
>> Brighton BN1 9RE Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202 IDS, a
>> charitable company limited by guarantee: Registered Charity No. 306371;
>> Registered in England 877338; VAT No. GB 350 899914
>>

> This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of IDS.
>
> Institute of Development Studies
> at the University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9RE
> Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202
> IDS, a charitable company limited by guarantee:
> Registered Charity No. 306371; Registered in England 877338;  VAT No. GB 350 899914

Re: Serials subscriptions

Emrys Minnig
I think the problem that Andrew is referring to is the fact that the 'New Subscription' button does not appear on the serials page, neither before nor after using the subscription search box.  This is obviously at odds with what is illustrated in the 3.0 manual.  (I am using 3.00.04_fixed.)

Interestingly, in the serials page's source it appears that there actually is a javascript function to create a 'newsubscription' button -- and a call to that function, I think...

Emrys

________________________________

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Andrew Buxton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, Nicole, but I'm afraid this doesn't get me any further.  I imagine you type the biblio number in the left box and then click Search.  Is anything meant to appear then?  Should it also work if you type the title in the right box?

Okay, I'll update the manual to make it cleared - and it looks like
Henri-Damien has answered you.

> Andrew

> Andrew,
>
> This will help you with adding a subscription:
>
> http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=c7034#AEN7037
>
> Thanks
> Nicole C. Engard
> Documentation Manager
>
> 2010/5/4 Andrew Buxton <[hidden email]>:
>> Can someone tell me please exactly how to start on "Add a new
>> subscription"?  There are two boxes against "Biblio" (the second with
>> brackets) and underneath Search for Biblio | Create Biblio.  What do I put
>> in what box and what is supposed to happen then?  I think it's not working
>> but I'd like to be sure!
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> ---
>> Andrew Buxton,  Library Web and Information Systems Manager
>> Direct line: 01273 915795   -  International +44 1273 915795
>> IDS website: http://www.ids.ac.uk/ Library website: http://blds.ids.ac.uk/
>>

>> This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or
>> confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify
>> the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions
>> expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
>> those of IDS. Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex,
>> Brighton BN1 9RE Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202 IDS, a
>> charitable company limited by guarantee: Registered Charity No. 306371;
>> Registered in England 877338; VAT No. GB 350 899914
>>

> This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of IDS.
>
> Institute of Development Studies
> at the University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9RE
> Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202
> IDS, a charitable company limited by guarantee:
> Registered Charity No. 306371; Registered in England 877338;  VAT No. GB 350 899914

Re: Serials subscriptions

Emrys Minnig
Aaah-ha!  It seems that in 3.00.04_fixed, you have to create a bibliographic record before you can turn it into a subscription.  (I assume it might be useful, therefore, to create a custom MARC framework for periodicals, journals or magazines.)

First, create a bibliographic record.  Then, from that record, you can use the 'New' dropdown menu to create a subscription based on that record.

It does seem to be a roundabout way of going about things, and some of the documentation indicates that new subscriptions can be created directly from the Serials page.  Perhaps this is just a problem in 3.00.04?

Emrys

________________________________

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Andrew Buxton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, Nicole, but I'm afraid this doesn't get me any further.  I imagine you type the biblio number in the left box and then click Search.  Is anything meant to appear then?  Should it also work if you type the title in the right box?

Okay, I'll update the manual to make it cleared - and it looks like
Henri-Damien has answered you.

> Andrew

> Andrew,
>
> This will help you with adding a subscription:
>
> http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=c7034#AEN7037
>
> Thanks
> Nicole C. Engard
> Documentation Manager
>
> 2010/5/4 Andrew Buxton <[hidden email]>:
>> Can someone tell me please exactly how to start on "Add a new
>> subscription"?  There are two boxes against "Biblio" (the second with
>> brackets) and underneath Search for Biblio | Create Biblio.  What do I put
>> in what box and what is supposed to happen then?  I think it's not working
>> but I'd like to be sure!
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> ---
>> Andrew Buxton,  Library Web and Information Systems Manager
>> Direct line: 01273 915795   -  International +44 1273 915795
>> IDS website: http://www.ids.ac.uk/ Library website: http://blds.ids.ac.uk/
>>

>> This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or
>> confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify
>> the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions
>> expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
>> those of IDS. Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex,
>> Brighton BN1 9RE Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202 IDS, a
>> charitable company limited by guarantee: Registered Charity No. 306371;
>> Registered in England 877338; VAT No. GB 350 899914
>>

> This message is for the addressee only and may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of IDS.
>
> Institute of Development Studies
> at the University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9RE
> Tel: +44 (0)1273 606261; Fax: +44 (0)1273 621202
> IDS, a charitable company limited by guarantee:
> Registered Charity No. 306371; Registered in England 877338;  VAT No. GB 350 899914

Re: Serials subscriptions

Andrew Buxton
Hi Emrys

My problem isn't actually that there is no 'New Subscription' button.  What I'm trying to establish is how it's meant to work. (I'm using Koha 3.03.)

If I go to the Serials page, there are boxes for "ISSN" and "Title" and a search button.  I enter the ISSN of a serial for which I already have a bibliographic record and click "Search".  A heading "Serials subscriptions" comes up (and the column headings for an empty table of subscriptions) and a button with "+ New subscription".  If I click that button, a form for "Add a new subscription" appears but no indication of the serial I am working on, and it has two empty boxes for "Biblio" with links "Search for biblio" and "Create biblio".  So I'm not sure whether I'm working on that serial or whether I need to do another search.  I would expect one or both of these boxes to be populated with the serial I had selected.  Clicking on "Search for Biblio" or "Search for a Vendor" gets nowhere and shows "Error on page" at the bottom of the screen in IE.

Andrew