Self-service hardware question

Lisa Peel
Hello everyone

I am hoping those of you with experience of implementing self-service with Koha would be able to give me some assistance.

We are looking at implementing self-service in order to extend our service hours – however I have little experience of this, especially what hardware would be needed.

Am I right in thinking that it is not actually necessary to buy one of the very fancy free standing units I have seen in many supplier catalogues? We have no alarm system in any of our libraries (there are six of them, most of them relatively small with less than 3000 items each, no RFID). Ideally I need to find a cost effective solution, ideally something which would also incorporate generating a receipt (so students have proof of check in).

Could anyone advise me of what we would need and possible price?

Regards

Lisa

Mrs Lisa Peel
Head of Learning Resources, SEG Services
Swiss Education Group
________
Avenue des Alpes 62
CH-1820 Montreux, Switzerland
Mobile: +41 (0)79 228 0151<tel://+41(0)792280151>
Skype: biblio1897<skype://biblio1897>
www.swisseducation.com<https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/swisseducationgroup> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/swisseducationgroup/> | Linkedin<https://www.linkedin.com/company/seg-swiss-education-group>

[http://signature.swisseducation.com/SEG2019.jpg]<https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>

Confidentiality and Disclaimer:
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named.
Email messages are provided for informational purposes, therefore the sender does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message.

Re: Self-service hardware question

Chris Brown
Hi Lisa (and everyone)

We have started looking at this for a couple of the community libraries we
support here in Sheffield (UK). Partly this is as a social distancing
measure as and when we re-open after the pandemic.

Self-service checkout mode is straightforward to configure in Koha ... take
a look at the Bywater Solutions tutorial at
https://bywatersolutions.com/education/setting-self-checkout-feature-koha

For hardware we are looking at something really cheap and cheerful ...
probably just a chrome book and a bar-code scanner. (Our books don't have
RFID tags). The challenge is to lock the chromebook down tight enough so
that users can't browse out to other sites (we are looking at using Google
Chrome in Kiosk mode), or escape the browser altogether. We're not
expecting to pay more than around £350 for the hardware.

We haven't looked at printers because we don't need receipts but Koha's
self-checkout module certainly has the option to print them.

I am not an expert so if you get a reply from someone with more experience
you should defer to them!

Best Regards,

Chris Brown

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:09 PM Lisa Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I am hoping those of you with experience of implementing self-service with
> Koha would be able to give me some assistance.
>
> We are looking at implementing self-service in order to extend our service
> hours – however I have little experience of this, especially what hardware
> would be needed.
>
> Am I right in thinking that it is not actually necessary to buy one of the
> very fancy free standing units I have seen in many supplier catalogues? We
> have no alarm system in any of our libraries (there are six of them, most
> of them relatively small with less than 3000 items each, no RFID). Ideally
> I need to find a cost effective solution, ideally something which would
> also incorporate generating a receipt (so students have proof of check in).
>
> Could anyone advise me of what we would need and possible price?
>
> Regards
>
> Lisa
>
> Mrs Lisa Peel
> Head of Learning Resources, SEG Services
> Swiss Education Group
> ________
> Avenue des Alpes 62
> CH-1820 Montreux, Switzerland
> Mobile: +41 (0)79 228 0151<tel://+41(0)792280151>
> Skype: biblio1897<skype://biblio1897>
> www.swisseducation.com<https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
> Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/swisseducationgroup> | Instagram<
> https://www.instagram.com/swisseducationgroup/> | Linkedin<
> https://www.linkedin.com/company/seg-swiss-education-group>
>
> [http://signature.swisseducation.com/SEG2019.jpg]<
> https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
>
> Confidentiality and Disclaimer:
> the individual named.
> Email messages are provided for informational purposes, therefore the
> sender does not accept
> liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Self-service hardware question

King, Fred
I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe someone can take my idea and turn it into something practical.

How about running Firefox on a Raspberry Pi? You could lock it in a box and run cables to a keyboard, barcode scanner, mouse, and monitor to it. Definitely inexpensive, especially if you have a spare monitor, keyboard, and mouse hanging around. I'm not sure how easy it would be to prevent people from browsing to other sites, but someone here might know of a way.

Fred King, MSLS, AHIP
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

I was singing the blues when I was six. Kind of sad, eh?
--Harry Dean Staunton

 ** ATTENTION: This email originated from outside the MedStar network. ** DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Self-service checkout mode is straightforward to configure in Koha ... take a look at the Bywater Solutions tutorial at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__bywatersolutions.com_education_setting-2Dself-2Dcheckout-2Dfeature-2Dkoha&d=DwIGaQ&c=RvBXVp2Kc-itN3g6r3sN0QK_zL4whPpndVxj8-bJ04M&r=vKh6XwOmjyC51IkP1OfsdjQZoWT2vpi6VZl8El8EPRI&m=ULJzl7snsamosQnLCPdubRO_x_K1emz4q2NQR8LecY0&s=eIi0-JPLRXKgTOOD48ufAIwj8nkZKS0FzOuynUdtyMo&e=

> [...]

> QnLCPdubRO_x_K1emz4q2NQR8LecY0&s=MsB931gwRrcsBAVmqjJ8-6OUq_6G21qGZ9h6C
> JJs4pM&e= ]<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.swisseducatio
> n.com_en_&d=DwIGaQ&c=RvBXVp2Kc-itN3g6r3sN0QK_zL4whPpndVxj8-bJ04M&r=vKh
> 6XwOmjyC51IkP1OfsdjQZoWT2vpi6VZl8El8EPRI&m=ULJzl7snsamosQnLCPdubRO_x_K
> 1emz4q2NQR8LecY0&s=-hKD2x-1odUvWCxTGtjfYtA5JIsfBD0FQamp6c_qB5U&e= >
>
> Confidentiality and Disclaimer:
> for the individual named.
> Email messages are provided for informational purposes, therefore the
> sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the
> contents of this message.
> z_mailman_listinfo_koha&d=DwIGaQ&c=RvBXVp2Kc-itN3g6r3sN0QK_zL4whPpndVx
> j8-bJ04M&r=vKh6XwOmjyC51IkP1OfsdjQZoWT2vpi6VZl8El8EPRI&m=ULJzl7snsamos
> QnLCPdubRO_x_K1emz4q2NQR8LecY0&s=4ZJCm6mZX6ck5hFxa0VjrbWnmySY1ZiR-Wcdg

Unsubscribe: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.katipo.co.nz_mailman_listinfo_koha&d=DwIGaQ&c=RvBXVp2Kc-itN3g6r3sN0QK_zL4whPpndVxj8-bJ04M&r=vKh6XwOmjyC51IkP1OfsdjQZoWT2vpi6VZl8El8EPRI&m=ULJzl7snsamosQnLCPdubRO_x_K1emz4q2NQR8LecY0&s=4ZJCm6mZX6ck5hFxa0VjrbWnmySY1ZiR-Wcdg6NYCew&e=

MedStar Health is a not-for-profit, integrated healthcare delivery system, the largest in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region. Nationally recognized for clinical quality in heart, orthopaedics, cancer and GI.

IMPORTANT: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify sender by reply e-mail, so that our records can be corrected... Thank you.

Help conserve valuable resources - only print this email if necessary.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Self-service hardware question

JesseGypsy
Dear Lisa and everyone,

Lemonjar team is also manufacturer for all the library automation equipment.
At the same time, we are also implementer and integrator for KOHA. We based in Malaysia.
Having Self Check Kiosk is helpful in the library. It acts as a "staff/ agent" to allow patrons to borrow, return and even renew material by own.
First, you need to see what is the main direction to have automation in library.. What I mean is for security or automation purpose.
For security, definitely EM (Electromagnetic) and if for automation, then RFID (either HF/ UHF). Myself recommend for UHF.
Perhaps can check our products at our website via https://www.lemonjar.com.my for further info.

Aside of having standing Self Check Kiosk, Christ's idea is good too.
If your library on RFID, you will need another item - RFID station to charge/ discharge the security tag.
If your library is on EM, then you will need another item - EM Desk (Sensitizer/ Desensitizer) to arm and dis-arm the EM strips within books after circulation.
That's the purpose of having kiosk (everything in 1 body).. so public can be orientate easily on the operation.

Sharing you our implementation at one of the public library at Malaysia. It's a hybrid kiosk (running both EM and UHF RFID).
https://www.lemonjar.com.my/index.php/2019/04/01/soft-launching-of-ssl-tg-aru/
Hybrid Self Check kiosk from us is around Malaysia Ringgit (MYR) 45,000.00.

Integrating KOHA to third-party automation equipment is not hard.
Configuration on the SIP2 config file will do.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Jesse
Lemonjar Software Media Sdn. Bhd.

On 12/05/2020, 3:54 AM, "Koha on behalf of King, Fred" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

    MedStar Health is a not-for-profit, integrated healthcare delivery system, the largest in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region. Nationally recognized for clinical quality in heart, orthopaedics, cancer and GI.

    IMPORTANT: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify sender by reply e-mail, so that our records can be corrected... Thank you.

    Help conserve valuable resources - only print this email if necessary.

Bob Birchall @ Calyx
Hi Lisa,
Any old PC or laptop is suitable for running Koha's self-check module
provided it has an internet connection (of course) and an up to date web
browser. A port for plugging in a barcode scanner is nice and it sounds
like you also want to connect a cheap printer. The module is well
documented in the manual.
This module is not as robust as the dedicated self serve stations from
major suppliers but it's big bucks cheaper. We found it works best where
trust and competence are higher. That is, it's better for corporate
situations than in education - staff are more reliable (often) than
students. Print out reset instructions and paste them on the wall.
I hope this helps,
Bob

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 04:11, Lisa Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I am hoping those of you with experience of implementing self-service with
> Koha would be able to give me some assistance.
>
> We are looking at implementing self-service in order to extend our service
> hours – however I have little experience of this, especially what hardware
> would be needed.
>
> Am I right in thinking that it is not actually necessary to buy one of the
> very fancy free standing units I have seen in many supplier catalogues? We
> have no alarm system in any of our libraries (there are six of them, most
> of them relatively small with less than 3000 items each, no RFID). Ideally
> I need to find a cost effective solution, ideally something which would
> also incorporate generating a receipt (so students have proof of check in).
>
> Could anyone advise me of what we would need and possible price?
>
> Regards
>
> Lisa
>
> Mrs Lisa Peel
> Head of Learning Resources, SEG Services
> Swiss Education Group
> ________
> Avenue des Alpes 62
> CH-1820 Montreux, Switzerland
> Mobile: +41 (0)79 228 0151<tel://+41(0)792280151>
> Skype: biblio1897<skype://biblio1897>
> www.swisseducation.com<https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
> Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/swisseducationgroup> | Instagram<
> https://www.instagram.com/swisseducationgroup/> | Linkedin<
> https://www.linkedin.com/company/seg-swiss-education-group>
>
> [http://signature.swisseducation.com/SEG2019.jpg]<
> https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
>
> Confidentiality and Disclaimer:
> the individual named.
> Email messages are provided for informational purposes, therefore the
> sender does not accept
> liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Self-service hardware question

Chad Roseburg
We used old computers with Elo touchscreens at our branches. For software,
we used Chrome or Firefox in kiosk mode.
For touchscreens, I bumped up the size of the buttons and layout using
Koha's JS and CSS system prefs.

I think we ended up using Chromium or Chrome in kiosk mode -- I had issues
with firefox. I used Debian for this and I think Fred's idea of using a
Rasp. Pi ( latest ) would work great with Chrome/Chromium in kiosk mode.
We've used a Pi for a digital display kiosk -- again, with Chrome in kiosk
mode, but any cheap hardware should work fine.

Windows would work too.  We used PWB on Win 2000 from
https://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ for many years ( pre-Koha migration
) as a Windows-based public catalog kiosk solution but there are probably
many alternatives today.

Chad

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:55 PM King, Fred <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe someone can take my idea and
> turn it into something practical.
>
> How about running Firefox on a Raspberry Pi? You could lock it in a box
> and run cables to a keyboard, barcode scanner, mouse, and monitor to it.
> Definitely inexpensive, especially if you have a spare monitor, keyboard,
> and mouse hanging around. I'm not sure how easy it would be to prevent
> people from browsing to other sites, but someone here might know of a way.
>
> Fred King, MSLS, AHIP
> Medical Librarian, MedStar Washington Hospital Center
> [hidden email]
> 202-877-6670
> ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
> MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org
>
> I was singing the blues when I was six. Kind of sad, eh?
> --Harry Dean Staunton

Assoc. Director / IT
Automation Dept.
North Central Regional Library

Re: Self-service hardware question

Bob Ewart-3
Hi Lisa,

We are using an old computer running Porteus Kiosk
<https://porteus-kiosk.org/>.

> Porteus Kiosk is a lightweight Gentoo-based Linux operating system
> which has been downscaled and confined to allow the use of one
> application only - the Firefox web browser. The browser has been
> locked down to prevent users from tampering with settings or
> downloading and installing software. When the kiosk boots, it
> automatically opens Firefox to the user's preferred home page. The
> browsing history is not kept, no passwords are saved, and many menu
> items have been disabled for increased security. When Firefox is
> restarted all caches are cleared and the browser reopens with a clean
> session
Ours is set to only go to our OPAC or our main web site.

--
Bob Ewart
Stonewall National Museum & Archives

On 5/11/20 2:09 PM, Lisa Peel wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I am hoping those of you with experience of implementing self-service with Koha would be able to give me some assistance.
>
> We are looking at implementing self-service in order to extend our service hours – however I have little experience of this, especially what hardware would be needed.
>
> Am I right in thinking that it is not actually necessary to buy one of the very fancy free standing units I have seen in many supplier catalogues? We have no alarm system in any of our libraries (there are six of them, most of them relatively small with less than 3000 items each, no RFID). Ideally I need to find a cost effective solution, ideally something which would also incorporate generating a receipt (so students have proof of check in).
>
> Could anyone advise me of what we would need and possible price?
>
> Regards
>
> Lisa
>
> Mrs Lisa Peel
> Head of Learning Resources, SEG Services
> Swiss Education Group
> ________
> Avenue des Alpes 62
> CH-1820 Montreux, Switzerland
> Mobile: +41 (0)79 228 0151<tel://+41(0)792280151>
> Skype: biblio1897<skype://biblio1897>
> www.swisseducation.com<https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
> Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/swisseducationgroup> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/swisseducationgroup/> | Linkedin<https://www.linkedin.com/company/seg-swiss-education-group>
>
> [http://signature.swisseducation.com/SEG2019.jpg]<https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
>
> Confidentiality and Disclaimer:
> This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named.
> Email messages are provided for informational purposes, therefore the sender does not accept
> liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message.

Fwd: [EXTERNAL] Re: Self-service hardware question

Chad Roseburg
We used old computers with Elo touchscreens at our branches. For software,
we used Chrome or Firefox in kiosk mode.
For touchscreens, I bumped up the size of the buttons and layout using
Koha's JS and CSS system prefs.

I think we ended up using Chromium or Chrome in kiosk mode -- I had issues
with firefox. I used Debian for this and I think Fred's idea of using a
Rasp. Pi ( latest ) would work great with Chrome/Chromium in kiosk mode.
We've used a Pi for a digital display kiosk -- again, with Chrome in kiosk
mode, but any cheap hardware should work fine.

Windows would work too.  We used PWB on Win 2000 from
https://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ for many years ( pre-Koha migration
) as a Windows-based public catalog kiosk solution but there are probably
many alternatives today.

Chad

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:55 PM King, Fred <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe someone can take my idea and
> turn it into something practical.
>
> How about running Firefox on a Raspberry Pi? You could lock it in a box
> and run cables to a keyboard, barcode scanner, mouse, and monitor to it.
> Definitely inexpensive, especially if you have a spare monitor, keyboard,
> and mouse hanging around. I'm not sure how easy it would be to prevent
> people from browsing to other sites, but someone here might know of a way.
>
> Fred King, MSLS, AHIP
> Medical Librarian, MedStar Washington Hospital Center
> [hidden email]
> 202-877-6670
> ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
> MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org
>
> I was singing the blues when I was six. Kind of sad, eh?
> --Harry Dean Staunton

Lari Taskula
Hello Lisa,

There are two free and open source software and hardware devices
designed to support self-service functionality especially in Koha
libraries. They are licensed with GPLv3 and CERN OHL so there are
basically two ways to get them - 1. you could assemble these devices
yourself, or 2. you could use a support company to help you out.

Since I believe this mailing list is not a platform for private
companies to advertise their services, I'll try to provide as generic
description of these devices as possible and share some of our knowledge
as the author and the developer.

The self-service checkout device "Lainuri" is targeted to Koha
libraries. It has a simple "plug & play" type of installation and
integration to Koha. It currently works by screen scraping the staff
client, but it is being upgraded to use Koha's REST API. SIP2 can also
be supported. "Lainuri" is Finnish and directly translates to
"Checkouter". [1] The author company Hypernova has a short YouTube
presentation of Lainuri prototype, see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TXL8H4BrA (with English subtitles)
[3]. Please note that this is not yet a production unit and the GUI is
constantly going through upgrades as we speak.

Then there is the access control device "Toveri". It can be integrated
with Koha to further extend self-service hours. It reads patron's
library card and requests Koha to grant door access. It supports opening
hours directly defined in Koha and can restrict access by various Koha
patron statuses. The product name "Toveri" translates to "Companion" or
"Buddy". It is already being used in production by many Koha libraries
in Finland and has proven to withstand extreme weathers. [2]

Lainuri and Toveri can be assembled from a large selection of casing
materials. Also, laser engravings give these devices a fresh look of
your choice.

Excuse us for the lack of more international demo content as we have so
far been mainly targeting Finnish Koha libraries. But both devices
support localization and are designed to work where-ever Koha works too.

I'll be happy to let you know more about these devices and perhaps
arrange a demo unit to your library.

Sources and links

[1] https://www.hypernova.fi/lainuri-self-checkout-machine/

[2] https://www.hypernova.fi/toveri-access-control-device/

[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TXL8H4BrA

Lari Taskula
CEO, Hypernova Oy
+358449857337
Kauppakatu 25 C 409
80100 Joensuu, Finland

On 11.5.2020 21.09, Lisa Peel wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I am hoping those of you with experience of implementing self-service with Koha would be able to give me some assistance.
>
> We are looking at implementing self-service in order to extend our service hours – however I have little experience of this, especially what hardware would be needed.
>
> Am I right in thinking that it is not actually necessary to buy one of the very fancy free standing units I have seen in many supplier catalogues? We have no alarm system in any of our libraries (there are six of them, most of them relatively small with less than 3000 items each, no RFID). Ideally I need to find a cost effective solution, ideally something which would also incorporate generating a receipt (so students have proof of check in).
>
> Could anyone advise me of what we would need and possible price?
>
> Regards
>
> Lisa
>
> Mrs Lisa Peel
> Head of Learning Resources, SEG Services
> Swiss Education Group
> ________
> Avenue des Alpes 62
> CH-1820 Montreux, Switzerland
> Mobile: +41 (0)79 228 0151<tel://+41(0)792280151>
> Skype: biblio1897<skype://biblio1897>
> www.swisseducation.com<https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
> Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/swisseducationgroup> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/swisseducationgroup/> | Linkedin<https://www.linkedin.com/company/seg-swiss-education-group>
>
> [http://signature.swisseducation.com/SEG2019.jpg]<https://www.swisseducation.com/en/>
>
> Confidentiality and Disclaimer:
> This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named.
> Email messages are provided for informational purposes, therefore the sender does not accept
> liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message.

Re: Self-service hardware question

BRANNON, CHRISTOPHER
Lisa,
Our self check stations consist of a touch screen, a small computer that mounts to the back of the touch screen, a barcode scanner and a receipt printer.  You don't need anything more than that.  You can use Koha's self check software, or there is other software, free or paid.  If you want more information, feel free to contact me and I can get you more specifics.

Christopher Brannon
IT Coordinator

702 E Front Ave
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814