Seeking advise

Tadesse, Bruck
Hello,

Two of our sister institutes are thinking about merging two instances of Koha into one (joined catalog with a single instance of Koha running on a single database) with external expert help. Right now, the two systems are running on two separate VMs and old versions of Koha (3.8 and 16.05). We would like to get advice from the community regarding what strategy to follow:

  1.  Should these two versions of Koha instances be upgraded separately, then merged.
  2.  Have a clean install of a new version and migrate the data from both system.
  3.  Or any insight in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruck T.

Re: Seeking advise

Stowasser Rainer
Dear Tadesse

I had to do this once
and from my experience
I would go for 2

Clean install of new version and just handle the data

IF the data is  „clean“ MARC
(no special use of fields for „special purposes“ as libraries do :-)
This is done in one day

IF certain „adaptions“ where made
the two libraries should talk to each other
and straighten this out  before they merge ;-)

a upgrade of the systems doesnt help you …..

Kind regards
Hofrat Mag. Rainer Stowasser
Head of LIbrary and Archives ZAMG