Restrict Continuous Checking Out

sheikh303
Hi there,
Is possible to restrict a patron from checking same item twice back to back? A book must be checked by at least one patron before s/he can check it out again.
I am using koha 3.02
thanks in advance.

Re: Restrict Continuous Checking Out

nengard
Unfortunately there is no way to set such a rule right now.  It might
be something to suggest as an enhancement to Koha though.

Thanks
Nicole

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM, sheikh303 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
> Is possible to restrict a patron from checking same item twice back to back?
> A book must be checked by at least one patron before s/he can check it out
> again.
> I am using koha 3.02
> thanks in advance.

Re: Restrict Continuous Checking Out

Manos Petridis
I know that my post doesn't give you the answer you seek, but out of
curiosity, why would you want a book to remain in your library, unread,
perhaps for ages? I can understand that a patron that has already borrowed a
book, is to have the lowest priority when vying with other patrons, to
borrow it again, but should no one want to read this item why not let
him/her have it again?

A more interesting question is, how does one prioritize two patrons'
requests, that have both borrowed the specific item before? Does one take
into account the number of times each has checked it out, the date they last
returned it to the library, or simply give it to the patron that has
re-requested the item earlier?

MP

Re: Restrict Continuous Checking Out

sheikh303
Hi Manos,
Actually administer koha for an university's library with small collection of books and large number of students. its the library's requirement not to let a patron hold a particular item throughout the semester and not letting other to have it for a once.

On 7 October 2012 23:27, Manos Petridis [via Koha] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

NAML

--
Sheikh Faiyaz Moorsalin
Programmer, CITS

Re: Restrict Continuous Checking Out

Mirko Tietgen
sheikh303 schrieb am 07.10.2012 19:44:55
> Hi Manos,
> Actually administer koha for an university's library with small collection
> of books and large number of students. its the library's requirement not to
> let a patron hold a particular item throughout the semester and not letting
> other to have it for a once.

You could
- not allow renewals for this item type
- allow holds

That way a book that is requested by others would only remain at
person A for one loan period. Before they could renew it, somebody
else (person B) could reserve it. When A has to return it, B will
get it and only then it is possible for A to put a hold request to
get it again after B returns it (if no person C has reserved it
before). If there is no person B waiting, person A can renew the
book at the library. Does that make sense?

-- Mirko