Reconciliation branch --mail à destination de la communauté Besoin de ton aval

Reconciliation branch --mail à destination de la communauté Besoin de ton aval

Henri-Damien LAURENT
Hi,
After discussing in Yesterday's IRC meeting we have two options :
a) test master AND reconciliation branch at about the same time which
would double the work. But reconciliation branch could be already there
(you can check it out from koha-maintenance/reconciliation)

b) rework the reconciliation branch and come down to a simple bug fixing
branch.
Thus, we can expect 3.2 will be out on time. And 3.0.4 will contain only
bugfixes and will be more stable but will take some overtime to make  it.
And we would have only one month to wait for all the enhanced contents,
and only one version to test thoroughly. 3.0.x would include only bug
fixes and would therfore respect the purpose of a stable branch.

I have done some job on this reconciliation and I included much more
than just bug fixes. But still, I would rather have something more
stable and which fix problems than something likely to bring up (and
doubles) problems.
And I think that it would be sensible too.

I wanted to give you the opportunity to speak your minds and tell what
you want.
--
Henri-Damien LAURENT
Release Maintainer 3.0.x

Re: Reconciliation branch --mail à dest ination de la communauté Besoin de ton aval

Zeno Tajoli
Hi to all,

At 14.40 03/09/2009, LAURENT Henri-Damien wrote:

>After discussing in Yesterday's IRC meeting we have two options :
>a) test master AND reconciliation branch at about the same time which
>would double the work. But reconciliation branch could be already there
>(you can check it out from koha-maintenance/reconciliation)
>
>b) rework the reconciliation branch and come down to a simple bug fixing
>branch.

as CILEA we prefer the path a). For us is ok to test the present
koha-maintenance/reconciliation
with bugfix and same extra.
As soon as possibile I download it and test it as soon as possibile.
In fact we prefer to work on 3.0.4
instead of 3.2

Bye

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)
tajoliAT_SPAM_no_prendiATcilea.it
(Indirizzo mascherato anti-spam; sostituisci quanto tra AT con @)

Re: Reconciliation branch --mail à dest ination de la communauté Besoin de ton aval

Chris Cormack-6
2009/9/4 Zeno Tajoli <[hidden email]>:

> Hi to all,
>
> At 14.40 03/09/2009, LAURENT Henri-Damien wrote:
>
>>After discussing in Yesterday's IRC meeting we have two options :
>>a) test master AND reconciliation branch at about the same time which
>>would double the work. But reconciliation branch could be already there
>>(you can check it out from koha-maintenance/reconciliation)
>>
>>b) rework the reconciliation branch and come down to a simple bug fixing
>>branch.
>

> as CILEA we prefer the path a). For us is ok to test the present
> koha-maintenance/reconciliation
> with bugfix and same extra.
> As soon as possibile I download it and test it as soon as possibile.
> In fact we prefer to work on 3.0.4
> instead of 3.2

Hmmm

I still strongly feel that 3.0.x is a maintenance branch and should
only contain bugfixes.
And that b is the much saner and safer approach.
Doing 2 major feature releases at the same time will be a nightmare to maintan.
IF there are features in 3.0.x that are missing in 3.2 they should be
ported forward, we should not be bringing features back.

Re: Reconciliation branch --mail à destination de la communauté Besoin de ton aval

Bob Birchall @ Calyx
To me it makes a lot of sense only to have bug fixes in 3.0.4 and all new
features in 3.2.
But what are the workload implications?
Bob

18:03:00

Re: Reconciliation branch --mail à des t ination de la communauté Besoin de ton aval

Zeno Tajoli
Hi to all,

> > At 14.40 03/09/2009, LAURENT Henri-Damien wrote:
> >
> >>After discussing in Yesterday's IRC meeting we have two options :
> >>a) test master AND reconciliation branch at about the same time which
> >>would double the work. But reconciliation branch could be already there
> >>(you can check it out from koha-maintenance/reconciliation)
> >>
> >>b) rework the reconciliation branch and come down to a simple bug fixing
> >>branch.
> >

> > as CILEA we prefer the path a).
> >
>Chris Cormack <[hidden email]>
>
>I still strongly feel that 3.0.x is a maintenance branch and should
>only contain bugfixes.

in fact CILEA wants to test 3.0.4 as soon as possible.
I read titles of all commit in  koha-maintenance/reconciliation at present.
in fact are all bug fixes exept:
-- a cataloguing plugin
-- a inventory plugin
-- a basic rework on Authosities

There not any major new feature, as I see.
If Henri-Damien thinks that there are not more bug fix to add,
we think that we could start to test it.

CILEA doesn't think to offer 3.2 to users before Jan 2010
So we can test 3.0.4 quite well.

Bye

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)
tajoliAT_SPAM_no_prendiATcilea.it
(Indirizzo mascherato anti-spam; sostituisci quanto tra AT con @)

Re: Reconciliation branch --mail à destination de la communauté Besoin de ton aval

Henri-Damien and I are currently working on cherry-picking commits
from master back to 3.0.x to go into 3.0.4

You can see our progress here
http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha-maintenance.git;a=summary

We are not bringing new features, just bugfixes. I hope we can have
this finished in the next few days and then get to testing.

Having 2 feature branches going forward would just be way to much work
to maintain. So leaving 3.0.x to its original purpose the stable
maintenance branch and porting fixes to it is the safest and best
route going forward. It does mean that Henri-Damien and I are working
pretty hard at the moment to get the bug fxes cherry-picked back, and
I thank Henri-Damien for all the work he has put in.
But once we have done this, its just a matter of keeping on top of
this in the future and cherry picking any applicable bugfixes as they
are pushed up onto master.

At least until the 3.2.x branch is created and it becomes Galen's
problem to maintain the stable release :)

Chris