Re:BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

Tümer Garip
Hi,

Our production system koha is utf8 on a windows platform. I do not know
whether its different in Unix but here is the solution we found.

Any read-writes to mysql is through biblio.pm so we saved the biblio.pm
as an utf8 file.
(Windows gives you the opportunity of saving a text file in
ANSI(iso8859), utf8 or unicode(16bit).)
This sorted out 2 problems:
1-Reading,writing from db and display is allways utf8
2- Char_decode subroutine works correctly when importing MARC into Koha

I believe what this does is something similar to Pauls smiley solution
simply and effectively. With this we did not even need binmode(STDOUT,
":utf8") either which is very cleverly debugged by Paul.

Hope it helps,

Tumer Garip

>Paul wrote:
>Hello,
>

>(I cc: mike Rylander in case the pines guys have another solution...)
>
>I continue investigating the utf8 stuff. I have a very very bad feeling
: it seems that Perl DBI::mysql does not handle >utf8 correctly.
>Here are some links :
>http://www.cpanforum.com/threads/654
>http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3714
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=msql-mysql-modules&m=111970179409036&w=
2
>http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3006?f=plain
>
>If I read correctly, there are only 2 ways to solve this :
>* bug DBD::mysql maintainer to have the fix included. Would require an
official release, an upgrade of DBD::mysql, but  >it's a better solution
in the long term.
>* modify EVERY SQL query to Encode::decode_utf8() every value. A quite
huge task !

>I have modified one script (marc_subfield_structure.pl), and everything
works fine with Encode::decode_utf8 (and don't >>work without it)
--
>Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
>Consultants indépendants
>en logiciels libres et bibliothéconomie (http://www.koha-fr.org)

Re: BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

Paul POULAIN-2
Tümer Garip a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Our production system koha is utf8 on a windows platform. I do not know
> whether its different in Unix but here is the solution we found.
>
> Any read-writes to mysql is through biblio.pm so we saved the biblio.pm
> as an utf8 file.
> (Windows gives you the opportunity of saving a text file in
> ANSI(iso8859), utf8 or unicode(16bit).)
> This sorted out 2 problems:
> 1-Reading,writing from db and display is allways utf8
> 2- Char_decode subroutine works correctly when importing MARC into Koha
>
> I believe what this does is something similar to Pauls smiley solution
> simply and effectively. With this we did not even need binmode(STDOUT,
> ":utf8") either which is very cleverly debugged by Paul.
>
> Hope it helps,

No, this doesnt. But maybe you could tell us :
* which mySQL version you have.
* what encoding you use in your table ?
* you speak of Biblio.pm. But unicode can be anywhere else : in borrower
name for example, or in branchname. What happends if you try to add a
"true unicode" character in a branch name/borrower ? Does everything
works as well ?

anyway, i'll try to save my script as utf-8, and report if it changes
something.