Putting Koha into Docker...

Mark Tompsett
Greetings,

I’ve been tasked to dockerize our Koha installation, and I noticed
https://github.com/digibib/koha-docker
I also noticed it said “www.koha.org” on
https://github.com/digibib/koha-docker/wiki
even though the code says, “echo "deb http://debian.koha-community.org/koha
stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/koha.list” on
https://github.com/digibib/koha-docker/blob/master/Dockerfile
So, I’m confused if this is usable for production and it is is Koha or
LibLime. Feedback, thoughts much appreciated.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett

Re: Putting Koha into Docker...

Pedro Amorim
Hello Mark,

Although I don't know about your question specifically, we have created our own version of dockerized Koha a while ago, you can check it out here:

The main thing about the way we dockerized ours is that you need to link to a mysql container, it's not included.

Have a good one,

Pedro Amorim

Greetings,

I’ve been tasked to dockerize our Koha installation, and I noticed
https://github.com/digibib/koha-docker
I also noticed it said “www.koha.org” on
https://github.com/digibib/koha-docker/wiki
even though the code says, “echo "deb http://debian.koha-community.org/koha
stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/koha.list” on
https://github.com/digibib/koha-docker/blob/master/Dockerfile
So, I’m confused if this is usable for production and it is is Koha or
LibLime. Feedback, thoughts much appreciated.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett

Re: Putting Koha into Docker...

David Cook

John Fink did one a while ago as well, although I’m sure it’s horribly out of date now.

https://hub.docker.com/r/jbfink/koha/

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Re: Putting Koha into Docker...

Petter Goksøyr Åsen
Hi

We are maintaining and using github.com/digibib/koha-docker - it's been running i production since October last year.

It's definetly community Koha, I don't know what LibLime is.

We've tried to remove hardcoded configurations and workarounds specific to our use cases, but there might still be some left behind.

Feel free to raise issues on the github repo or ask here if you have any questions!

Petter Goksøyr Åsen
Deichmanske bibliotek / Oslo Public Library

Re: Putting Koha into Docker...

Benjamin Rokseth
Hi Mark!

True as Petter said, we have been using it in production since our launch in October, and despite some startup issues (not Docker's fault) we would
gladly recommend using our approach.

To be specific, we maintain a branch of community Koha at https://github.com/digibib/koha which frequently upstreams against koha (currently 17.05.x).
This is to easily maintain our patches on top of community Koha, mainly expanding the REST API (which we depend heavily on) and more bugfixes that
are still waiting in bugzilla. We also have some custom fixes on top of that, which are more small customizations.

the repo https:// github.com/digibib/koha-docker maintains the docker build of the koha images based on the code above.
We have:
- a dev version used for bugzilla testing,
- a patched version which pulls code from git, builds Koha debian packages and updates a repo at http://datatest.deichman.no/repositories/koha/ and runs tests,
- and finally a build which pushes to docker hub the images used in production.

Apart from the koha debian packages we build ourselves, we use standard Koha repos for deps and perldeps.

I know more libraries are testing our code, e.g. some in Portugal, but we happily assist more, and feedback is much welcome.

You may contact Joao Arcanjo ([hidden email]) to hear their progress.

Benjamin
Oslo Public Library

Re: Putting Koha into Docker...

Tomas Cohen Arazi
Benjamin et al, I've put together this:

The idea is running the test suite inside a container, thus simplifying the required infrastructure.

This is the first time I try using Docker, so I've been learning the small differences on how things work compared to VMs.
This are going ok so far, but I hit an issue I hoped you could help me with: everything runs smoothly on my box, but when ran on the jenkins node, things fail misteriously. It would be awesome if you could take a look and think of any conceptual mistakes I might have made. Any clue or advise is welcome.

This is specially important for pushing the REST api forward, as the current infrastructure is used for the stable branches (also) and upgrading the required libs (Mojolicious specifically) would break the stable branches tests.

Thanks in advance!

El vie., 23 jun. 2017 a las 5:48, Benjamin Rokseth (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io)
✆ +54 9351 3513384
GPG: B2F3C15F