Problem with opac address

lukasz.mesek
Hello,

We've started to show new books at our OPAC site and at some point after refreshing our main site stopped to show the changes.

When we ask our IT, he reindexed our site and then all the changes were shown.

When we change something again at https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/ without reindexing there is no effect.

But when we click on Koha logo in the upper left corner of the screen, which has this address https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl all the changes are updated and shows immediately.

It seems as we need reindexing every time we change something at our OPAC site, to have main address https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/ to work.

Should we ask our IT to set reindexing for every night or is there any other sollution to this problem?

Best regards
Lukasz Mesek
Vuxenbibliotekarie
Alingsås bibliotek

Re: Problem with opac address

Pedro Amorim
Hello lukasz,

What do you mean exactly by your IT "reindexing" the site?

Could it perhaps be related to template cache? In the following discussion
they talk about "About Koha" -> "System Information" and the directory for
template caching. You might try removing it if you have it configured.
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2017-March/047438.html

I would also consider enabling Plack for your instance:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Plack

On 7 November 2017 at 12:10, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> We've started to show new books at our OPAC site and at some point after
> refreshing our main site stopped to show the changes.
>
> When we ask our IT, he reindexed our site and then all the changes were
> shown.
>
> When we change something again at https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/ without
> reindexing there is no effect.
>
> But when we click on Koha logo in the upper left corner of the screen,
> which has this address https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/
> cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl all the changes are updated and shows
> immediately.
>
> It seems as we need reindexing every time we change something at our OPAC
> site, to have main address https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/ to work.
>
> Should we ask our IT to set reindexing for every night or is there any
> other sollution to this problem?
>

> Best regards
> Lukasz Mesek
> Vuxenbibliotekarie
> Alingsås bibliotek

Re: Problem with opac address

Chris Cormack-7
Also if you are already using plack. You should make sure you are using memcached.

Chris

On 8 November 2017 6:22:35 AM NZDT, Pedro Amorim <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello lukasz,
>
>What do you mean exactly by your IT "reindexing" the site?
>
>Could it perhaps be related to template cache? In the following
>discussion
>they talk about "About Koha" -> "System Information" and the directory
>for
>template caching. You might try removing it if you have it configured.
>https://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2017-March/047438.html
>
>I would also consider enabling Plack for your instance:
>https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Plack
>

>On 7 November 2017 at 12:10, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> We've started to show new books at our OPAC site and at some point
>after
>> refreshing our main site stopped to show the changes.
>>
>> When we ask our IT, he reindexed our site and then all the changes
>were
>> shown.
>>
>> When we change something again at https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/
>without
>> reindexing there is no effect.
>>
>> But when we click on Koha logo in the upper left corner of the
>screen,
>> which has this address https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/
>> cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl all the changes are updated and shows
>> immediately.
>>
>> It seems as we need reindexing every time we change something at our
>OPAC
>> site, to have main address https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/ to work.
>>
>> Should we ask our IT to set reindexing for every night or is there
>any
>> other sollution to this problem?
>>

>> Best regards
>> Lukasz Mesek
>> Vuxenbibliotekarie
>> Alingsås bibliotek

Re: Problem with opac address

Magnus Enger
Hi!

I am the service provider for Lukasz and Alingsås. The site is using
Plack and memcached.

As Lukasz said, the problem is that when e.g. the opaccredits syspref
is changed, the change shows imediately on
https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl but not on
https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/. Restarting memcached (not reindexing,
that is a misunderstanding) makes the change show up in both places.

It definitely looks like memcached is being a bit too aggressive in
its caching, but it also seems weird that this is not something more
sites have been running into.

Best regards,
Magnus

On 7 November 2017 at 19:10, Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also if you are already using plack. You should make sure you are using memcached.
>
> Chris
>
> On 8 November 2017 6:22:35 AM NZDT, Pedro Amorim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Hello lukasz,
>>
>>What do you mean exactly by your IT "reindexing" the site?
>>
>>Could it perhaps be related to template cache? In the following
>>discussion
>>they talk about "About Koha" -> "System Information" and the directory
>>for
>>template caching. You might try removing it if you have it configured.
>>https://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2017-March/047438.html
>>
>>I would also consider enabling Plack for your instance:
>>https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Plack
>>

>>On 7 November 2017 at 12:10, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> We've started to show new books at our OPAC site and at some point
>>after
>>> refreshing our main site stopped to show the changes.
>>>
>>> When we ask our IT, he reindexed our site and then all the changes
>>were
>>> shown.
>>>
>>> When we change something again at https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/
>>without
>>> reindexing there is no effect.
>>>
>>> But when we click on Koha logo in the upper left corner of the
>>screen,
>>> which has this address https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/
>>> cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl all the changes are updated and shows
>>> immediately.
>>>
>>> It seems as we need reindexing every time we change something at our
>>OPAC
>>> site, to have main address https://kohaopac.alingsas.se/ to work.
>>>
>>> Should we ask our IT to set reindexing for every night or is there
>>any
>>> other sollution to this problem?
>>>

>>> Best regards
>>> Lukasz Mesek
>>> Vuxenbibliotekarie
>>> Alingsås bibliotek
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Problem with opac address

Bob Birchall @ Calyx
We've also noticed that sometimes but not always, memcached needs a
restart before a change to a sys pref takes effect. We have not yet
identified the pattern.
Bob Birchall
Calyx