Preserving circ history of deleted item

Ellen Kaye
Hello,
When I replace an item with an identical item (with the same bib record),
how do I keep the circ. history for the work? (For example, if we want to
gauge our patrons' interest in "Pedagogy of the Oppressed," but have to
replace our battered copy, how do we preserve the circ. history?)

 If I delete the old item, will the circ. history disappear? If I withdraw
it, it shows in the catalog as "withdrawn," which we don't want. I know how
to suppress a record, but not on the item level only.

Thanks!

Ellen Kaye, MLIS   *[hidden email] <[hidden email]>*
Technical Services Coordinator
Eliot Pratt Library, Goddard College
123 Pitkin Road, Plainfield, VT  05667
802.322.1602 <%28802%29%20322-1607> or 802-454.8311  x216

Website​​:​ http://www.goddard.edu/lits  Catalog:
https://catalog.goddard.edu
Find Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EliotDPrattLibrary

Re: Preserving circ history of deleted item

Hernandez, Heather
Hi, Ellen--

This might not work for you--we're a special library with very low
circulation and don't pull any important reports on new items--but in
similar circumstances, where we do have an item that's circulated a lot and
been replaced with a better copy, I've simply edited the existing item
record to put in the new barcode, and put in a non-public note into the
item record with, e.g., "damaged item replaced with new item Mar. 17, 2017."

I also make sure the other fields are correct, if, for example, our patron
supplied the replacement copy, or it had been marked "Damaged," etc.

This method does not affect the date acquired field at all, and really is
fudging things quite a bit, so please do think about it with caution!

Cheers,
h2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, [hidden email]
https://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/research-center.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg

Re: Preserving circ history of deleted item

Cab Vinton
Hi, Ellen --

I'm far from an expert, but this should be pretty close to the truth :-)

There is a deleteditems table which retains some basic circ history
data -- no. of issues & renewals, date last borrowed, for example.

The statistics table retains *all* circulation transaction data, even
for deleted items, records & borrowers.

Writing reports to include the history of deleted items takes a little
bit of extra work, but the data is there. A lot depends on how you
want to access it.

Finally, there are ways of suppressing the display of withdrawn items
in the catalog, so that shouldn't deter you.

Standard cataloging practice would be to add a new item and withdraw
the old item while suppressing it from the catalog.

OK, HTH!

All best,

Cab Vinton, Director
Plaistow Public Library