Plugin Error

satishamv
Hi,

With Koha 17.11.06.000 On L-Ubuntu 16,04 Desktop from package installation
method,

I am getting follwoing error while uploading .kpz file at  Home › Tools ›
Plugins.

*Cannot unpack file to the plugins directory.Please verify that the Apache
user can write to the plugins directory.*

What is the right permission ??
.
As a root user, I have created plugins directory

drwxr-xr-x 6 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun  8 22:48 gechlibrary
drwxr-xr-x 2 root             root             4096 Jun 12 17:28 plugins

I tried to change,
chown -R gechlibrary-koha:gechlibrary-koha /var/lib/koha/plugins/

drwxr-xr-x 6 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun  8 22:48 gechlibrary
drwxr-xr-x 2 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun 12 17:28 plugins

Alias /plugin/ "/var/lib/koha/plugins/" is updated in
/etc/apache2/sites-available/gechlibrary.conf

In both cases, I am not able to to perform upload plugin.

Please help.

Satish MV
Librarian
Govt. Engineering College, Hassan

Re: Plugin Error

Doug Dearden
Hi Satish,

What user does Apache run under?  On my Debian system the default is www-data.  If that is the case on your Ubuntu system then I would do:
su chgrp www-data plugins
su chmod 775 plugins

I think that addresses the indicated problem.

Best,

Doug

Re: Plugin Error

Chris Brown
Hi Satish,

What you probably need to do is to change the ownership of the directories
to be whatever user identity the apache server is running with. You can
find this with a command like:

# ps -ef  | grep apache

On my Debian system the user is 'www-data'

Then change the ownership of the directories accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Chris Brown

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 7:43 PM SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With Koha 17.11.06.000 On L-Ubuntu 16,04 Desktop from package installation
> method,
>
> I am getting follwoing error while uploading .kpz file at  Home › Tools ›
> Plugins.
>

> *Cannot unpack file to the plugins directory.Please verify that the Apache
> user can write to the plugins directory.*
>
> What is the right permission ??
> .
> As a root user, I have created plugins directory
>
> drwxr-xr-x 6 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun  8 22:48
> gechlibrary
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root             root             4096 Jun 12 17:28 plugins
>
> I tried to change,
> chown -R gechlibrary-koha:gechlibrary-koha /var/lib/koha/plugins/
>
> drwxr-xr-x 6 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun  8 22:48
> gechlibrary
> drwxr-xr-x 2 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun 12 17:28 plugins
>

> Alias /plugin/ "/var/lib/koha/plugins/" is updated in
> /etc/apache2/sites-available/gechlibrary.conf
>
> In both cases, I am not able to to perform upload plugin.
>
> Please help.
>
> Satish MV
> Librarian
> Govt. Engineering College, Hassan

Re: Plugin Error

Liz Rea-3
A few things here:

* do you have the plugin directory defined in koha-conf.xml, a la
<pluginsdir>/var/lib/koha/instance/plugins</pluginsdir>

* are the directories listed above owned and grouped into instance-koha
(instance will be the name of your instance)

* are the permissions correct for that directory *and* it's
subdirectories (for plugins, usually 755 is good)

Package installs, except in exceptional and highly non-standard
circumstances, don't use the www-data user. Use the system user
koha-create created for you, as that's what your instance is running
with (you can see the user it's using in
/etc/apache2/sites-available/instance.conf under AssignUserID)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Liz

On 13/06/18 08:13, Chris Brown wrote:

> Hi Satish,
>
> What you probably need to do is to change the ownership of the directories
> to be whatever user identity the apache server is running with. You can
> find this with a command like:
>
> # ps -ef  | grep apache
>
> On my Debian system the user is 'www-data'
>
> Then change the ownership of the directories accordingly.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chris Brown
>

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 7:43 PM SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With Koha 17.11.06.000 On L-Ubuntu 16,04 Desktop from package installation
>> method,
>>
>> I am getting follwoing error while uploading .kpz file at  Home › Tools ›
>> Plugins.
>>

>> *Cannot unpack file to the plugins directory.Please verify that the Apache
>> user can write to the plugins directory.*
>>
>> What is the right permission ??
>> .
>> As a root user, I have created plugins directory
>>
>> drwxr-xr-x 6 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun  8 22:48
>> gechlibrary
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root             root             4096 Jun 12 17:28 plugins
>>
>> I tried to change,
>> chown -R gechlibrary-koha:gechlibrary-koha /var/lib/koha/plugins/
>>
>> drwxr-xr-x 6 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun  8 22:48
>> gechlibrary
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 gechlibrary-koha gechlibrary-koha 4096 Jun 12 17:28 plugins
>>

>> Alias /plugin/ "/var/lib/koha/plugins/" is updated in
>> /etc/apache2/sites-available/gechlibrary.conf
>>
>> In both cases, I am not able to to perform upload plugin.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Satish MV
>> Librarian
>> Govt. Engineering College, Hassan

Liz Rea
Catalyst.Net Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House,
150 Willis Street, Wellington.
P.O Box 11053, Manners Street,
Wellington 6142

GPG: B149 A443 6B01 7386 C2C7 F481 B6c2 A49D 3726 38B7

Re: Plugin Error

satishamv
Hi,

With Lubuntu 16.04 LTS + Koha 18.11.05 + MySQL + Installation by Package
Method

Still I am not able to upload plugins to Koha

Throws the same error:
*--*

--
I tried permission with all possible names suggested in the reply ( like,
www-data, koha-instance, root) , but no success.

Can you please help me get this fixed?

With thanks.
Satish MV
Librarian
Govt. Engineering College, Hassan
Karnataka

Re: Plugin Error

Jon Knight
Have you checked if you have SELinux enabled?  That sometimes causes issues with being able to write to temporary directories from Apache derived processes, write to network sockets from CGI scripts, etc.

Re: Plugin Error

Paul A-2
On 2019-05-22 7:54 a.m., Jon Knight wrote:
> Have you checked if you have SELinux enabled?  That sometimes causes issues with being able to write to temporary directories from Apache derived processes, write to network sockets from CGI scripts, etc.

A little off topic, but Satish mentions an Ubuntu variant. Please note
that SELinux is not necessarily recommended in Ubuntu (apparmor is the
default security, which should be removed and purged before installing
SELinux as they conflict.)  SELinux was developed for Centos and RHEL,
and while it is more "fine-grained" that makes it more challenging to
configure (we played with it on a dev 18.04 server a little while ago.)

If you have apparmor installed try:

sudo aa-status

which will show in broad-brush terms what is being enforced (if it is
running, which it should be.)

Paul> ________________________________________

Re: Plugin Error

claudiok1961
Hello

I have just the same problem as Satish, it keeps throwing same error.

Koha version: 3.20.07.000
Linux koharm02 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-2 (2017-12-03)
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Versione Perl: 5.020002
Server version: Apache/2.4.10 (Debian)

Claudio K.

Il 22/05/2019 13:54, Jon Knight ha scritto:

> Have you checked if you have SELinux enabled?  That sometimes causes issues with being able to write to temporary directories from Apache derived processes, write to network sockets from CGI scripts, etc.

Ing. Claudio Kutufà
NEXUS  IT  S.r.l.
Via Valerio Santelli, 39
50134 FIRENZE
Tel. +39 055 221705
Fax +39 055 2276048
Cell. :       3355859567
[hidden email]

Ai sensi dell'articolo 13 del Codice in materia di dati personali si informa che il trattamento dei Suoi dati personali,compreso l’indirizzo di posta elettronica, già da Lei forniti in sede di attivazione della nostra relazione commerciale e di lavoro, finalizzato unicamente alla gestione commerciale ed amministrativa, avverrà presso la Nexus IT S.r.l., con l'utilizzo di procedure anche informatizzate, nei modi e nei limiti necessari per perseguire le predette finalità. I dati potranno essere comunicati alle altre aziende partner della Nexus IT S.r.l.; dei dati potranno venire a conoscenza quindi i responsabili o incaricati del trattamento delle suddette aziende partner. Il conferimento dei dati è obbligatorio e la loro mancata indicazione comporta impedimento al proseguimento degli adempimenti relativi ai contratti ed ordini commerciali. Agli interessati sono riconosciuti i diritti di cui all'articolo 7 del citato Codice e in particolare il diritto di accedere ai propri dati personali, di chiederne la rettifica, l'aggiornamento e la cancellazione, se incompleti, erronei o raccolti in violazione della legge, nonché di opporsi al loro trattamento per motivi legittimi, rivolgendo le richieste inviando un messaggio al seguente indirizzo e-mail [hidden email] indirizzato al Titolare del trattamento, la Nexus IT  S.r.l.. L'elenco aggiornato dei responsabili ed incaricati del trattamento può essere richiesto indirizzando la richiesta via e-mail o via fax.