Official Docker image

Tomas Cohen Arazi
Hi everyone, on the CI front, I have recently introduced (successfully) the broad use of Docker images to run the full test suite. This project, named koha-testing-docker [1], evolved into a usable development environment too. Right now I'm trying to spend some time on porting kohadevbox things into it.

This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages using the CI infrastructure). [2]

With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this, the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

I raise the subject in light of recent discussions about supported OSs, Perl versions and dependencies.

--
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io)

Re: Official Docker image

Benjamin Rokseth-2

>Hi everyone, on the CI front, I have recently introduced (successfully) the
>broad use of Docker images to run the full test suite. This project, named
>koha-testing-docker [1], evolved into a usable development environment too.
>Right now I'm trying to spend some time on porting kohadevbox things into
>it.

Great news, Tomas! That will definitely ease development and sandboxing.
Probably also migration to elasticsearch.

> This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins
> server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

> We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need
> to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages
> using the CI infrastructure). [2]

Since you're already on gitlab, why not use it for CI instead?
Then you could have all code in one place. Retire mr Jenkins, only
thing we miss is the Chuck Norris plugin.

>With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like
>to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this,
>the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

And it gets even better!
Let us know if we can help

Benjamin Rokseth
Deichman Public Library

Re: Official Docker image

Kyle Hall
I agree that official Docker images are a fantastic idea!

One of the benefits of using Docker images for most of our CI logic is that it makes moving from one CI system to another quite easy!

I love the idea of having an official 'base' image that we can than add on top of to create things like a Docker based kohadevbox.

Kyle

http://www.kylehall.info
ByWater Solutions ( http://bywatersolutions.com )
Meadville Public Library ( http://www.meadvillelibrary.org )
Crawford County Federated Library System ( http://www.ccfls.org )

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:41 AM, Benjamin Rokseth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi everyone, on the CI front, I have recently introduced (successfully) the
>broad use of Docker images to run the full test suite. This project, named
>koha-testing-docker [1], evolved into a usable development environment too.
>Right now I'm trying to spend some time on porting kohadevbox things into
>it.

Great news, Tomas! That will definitely ease development and sandboxing.
Probably also migration to elasticsearch.

> This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins
> server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

> We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need
> to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages
> using the CI infrastructure). [2]

Since you're already on gitlab, why not use it for CI instead?
Then you could have all code in one place. Retire mr Jenkins, only
thing we miss is the Chuck Norris plugin.

>With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like
>to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this,
>the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

And it gets even better!
Let us know if we can help

Benjamin Rokseth
Deichman Public Library

Re: Official Docker image

Benjamin,

It's a midterm plan: we have a .gitlab-ci.yml (https://tree.taiga.io/project/joubu-koha-rm-1711/us/146) which may need more work (I have no idea if I have shared it on the list yet).
The problem is that we are waiting for the gitlab team to implement the view for junit files (the ones produced by prove).

See these links (and others) to see gitlab's work in progress:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/34102
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/17081
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/35379

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 at 01:41 Benjamin Rokseth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi everyone, on the CI front, I have recently introduced (successfully) the
>broad use of Docker images to run the full test suite. This project, named
>koha-testing-docker [1], evolved into a usable development environment too.
>Right now I'm trying to spend some time on porting kohadevbox things into
>it.

Great news, Tomas! That will definitely ease development and sandboxing.
Probably also migration to elasticsearch.

> This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins
> server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

> We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need
> to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages
> using the CI infrastructure). [2]

Since you're already on gitlab, why not use it for CI instead?
Then you could have all code in one place. Retire mr Jenkins, only
thing we miss is the Chuck Norris plugin.

>With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like
>to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this,
>the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

And it gets even better!
Let us know if we can help

Benjamin Rokseth
Deichman Public Library

Re: Official Docker image

Tomas Cohen Arazi
As there are no objections I will schedule some time to create this official base images.

El mié., 18 abr. 2018 a las 10:19, Jonathan Druart (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Benjamin,

It's a midterm plan: we have a .gitlab-ci.yml (https://tree.taiga.io/project/joubu-koha-rm-1711/us/146) which may need more work (I have no idea if I have shared it on the list yet).
The problem is that we are waiting for the gitlab team to implement the view for junit files (the ones produced by prove).

See these links (and others) to see gitlab's work in progress:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/34102
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/17081
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/35379

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 at 01:41 Benjamin Rokseth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi everyone, on the CI front, I have recently introduced (successfully) the
>broad use of Docker images to run the full test suite. This project, named
>koha-testing-docker [1], evolved into a usable development environment too.
>Right now I'm trying to spend some time on porting kohadevbox things into
>it.

Great news, Tomas! That will definitely ease development and sandboxing.
Probably also migration to elasticsearch.

> This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins
> server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

> We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need
> to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages
> using the CI infrastructure). [2]

Since you're already on gitlab, why not use it for CI instead?
Then you could have all code in one place. Retire mr Jenkins, only
thing we miss is the Chuck Norris plugin.

>With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like
>to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this,
>the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

And it gets even better!
Let us know if we can help

Benjamin Rokseth
Deichman Public Library
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io)
✆ +54 9351 3513384
GPG: B2F3C15F

Re: Official Docker image

Josef Moravec
+1

po 23. 4. 2018 v 14:49 odesílatel Tomas Cohen Arazi <[hidden email]> napsal:
As there are no objections I will schedule some time to create this official base images.

El mié., 18 abr. 2018 a las 10:19, Jonathan Druart (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Benjamin,

It's a midterm plan: we have a .gitlab-ci.yml (https://tree.taiga.io/project/joubu-koha-rm-1711/us/146) which may need more work (I have no idea if I have shared it on the list yet).
The problem is that we are waiting for the gitlab team to implement the view for junit files (the ones produced by prove).

See these links (and others) to see gitlab's work in progress:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/34102
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/17081
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/35379

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 at 01:41 Benjamin Rokseth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi everyone, on the CI front, I have recently introduced (successfully) the
>broad use of Docker images to run the full test suite. This project, named
>koha-testing-docker [1], evolved into a usable development environment too.
>Right now I'm trying to spend some time on porting kohadevbox things into
>it.

Great news, Tomas! That will definitely ease development and sandboxing.
Probably also migration to elasticsearch.

> This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins
> server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

> We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need
> to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages
> using the CI infrastructure). [2]

Since you're already on gitlab, why not use it for CI instead?
Then you could have all code in one place. Retire mr Jenkins, only
thing we miss is the Chuck Norris plugin.

>With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like
>to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this,
>the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

And it gets even better!
Let us know if we can help

Benjamin Rokseth
Deichman Public Library
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io)
✆ <a href="tel:+54%209%20351%20351-3384" value="+5493513513384" target="_blank">+54 9351 3513384
GPG: B2F3C15F

Re: Official Docker image

Kyle Hall
I for one cannot wait to see it!

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 8:49 AM, Tomas Cohen Arazi <[hidden email]> wrote:
As there are no objections I will schedule some time to create this official base images.

El mié., 18 abr. 2018 a las 10:19, Jonathan Druart (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Benjamin,

It's a midterm plan: we have a .gitlab-ci.yml (https://tree.taiga.io/project/joubu-koha-rm-1711/us/146) which may need more work (I have no idea if I have shared it on the list yet).
The problem is that we are waiting for the gitlab team to implement the view for junit files (the ones produced by prove).

See these links (and others) to see gitlab's work in progress:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/34102
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/17081
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/35379

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 at 01:41 Benjamin Rokseth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi everyone, on the CI front, I have recently introduced (successfully) the
>broad use of Docker images to run the full test suite. This project, named
>koha-testing-docker [1], evolved into a usable development environment too.
>Right now I'm trying to spend some time on porting kohadevbox things into
>it.

Great news, Tomas! That will definitely ease development and sandboxing.
Probably also migration to elasticsearch.

> This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins
> server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

> We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need
> to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages
> using the CI infrastructure). [2]

Since you're already on gitlab, why not use it for CI instead?
Then you could have all code in one place. Retire mr Jenkins, only
thing we miss is the Chuck Norris plugin.

>With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like
>to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this,
>the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

And it gets even better!
Let us know if we can help

Benjamin Rokseth
Deichman Public Library
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io)
✆ +54 9351 3513384
GPG: B2F3C15F

Re: Official Docker image

dcook

I’ve been meaning to find a reason to use Docker, so it would be great to have this I reckon.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

> [...]

>it.

Great news, Tomas! That will definitely ease development and sandboxing.
Probably also migration to elasticsearch.

> This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins
> server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

> We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need
> to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages
> using the CI infrastructure). [2]

Since you're already on gitlab, why not use it for CI instead?
Then you could have all code in one place. Retire mr Jenkins, only
thing we miss is the Chuck Norris plugin.

>With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like
>to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this,
>the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

Heh. I don’t think that’s going to happen.

But I figure using Docker for development and testing at least would be good.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

> [...]

>it.

Great news, Tomas! That will definitely ease development and sandboxing.
Probably also migration to elasticsearch.

> This Docker image is built and published automatically by our Jenkins
> server, and then used in the three nodes we have to run the tests.

> We also have a Docker image for building koha-* packages wherever we need
> to (yes, we want to automate this, and properly test the generated packages
> using the CI infrastructure). [2]

Since you're already on gitlab, why not use it for CI instead?
Then you could have all code in one place. Retire mr Jenkins, only
thing we miss is the Chuck Norris plugin.

>With this knowledge, and the infrastructure part of it solved, I would like
>to start publishing an official Docker image of Koha. Once we have this,
>the koha-testing-docker tools would be rebuilt on top of it.

Hi Tomas,

I’ve decided to try Docker for Windows, and to try out your koha-testing-docker using that.

I cloned the git repository from https://gitlab.com/koha-community/koha-testing-docker and I’m reading the README.md, but I stumble at “docker-compose build”. (Initially I didn’t read the README.md and just tried ‘docker build’ and that looked OK at a glance.)

I see “Requirement: The SYNC_REPO variable needs to be defined and contain the full path for a Koha's git repository clone”, but the error messages I get are:

WARNING: The SYNC_REPO variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.

WARNING: The COVERAGE variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.

WARNING: The RUN_TESTS_AND_EXIT variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.

WARNING: The LOCAL_USER_ID variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.

db uses an image, skipping

es uses an image, skipping

memcached uses an image, skipping

selenium uses an image, skipping

koha uses an image, skipping

Is SYNC_REPO supposed to be a path to a http://git.koha-community.org/koha.git directory?

I’ll have to try that after lunch…

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Re: Official Docker image

dcook

I was able to set SYNC_REPO using “$env:SYNC_REPO = 'C:\Users\dcook\Git\koha'” in powershell…

Retried “docker-compose build” and got the following:

WARNING: The COVERAGE variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.

WARNING: The RUN_TESTS_AND_EXIT variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.

WARNING: The LOCAL_USER_ID variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.

db uses an image, skipping

es uses an image, skipping

memcached uses an image, skipping

selenium uses an image, skipping

koha uses an image, skipping

Decided to just try “docker-compose up” and it’s downloading images so I’ll let you know how it goes…

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Re: Official Docker image

dcook

For anyone using Docker for Windows, one annoying thing to note is that Docker for Windows requires HyperV to be activated, and that conflicts with other virtualization software like Vmware (and I think Virtualbox although I haven’t tried that I think).

Enabling/disabling HyperV isn’t that hard but it does require a restart which can be irritating if you’re in the middle of other work.

Still… Docker seems neat.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Re: Official Docker image

dcook

Care to update the README.md? I would send a merge request, but I already am running behind on a few things.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Re: Official Docker image

Mark Tompsett
Greetings,

<[hidden email]> escribió:
> For anyone using Docker for Windows, one annoying thing to note is that
> Docker for Windows requires HyperV to be activated,

I can confirm that annoyance, which is why I was glad to move my work laptop
to Ubuntu.

> and that conflicts with other virtualization software like Vmware

While I have not used Vmware...

> (and I think Virtualbox although I haven’t tried that I think).

I can confirm that it is true with Virtualbox on Windows.
Windows doesn’t like letting multiple virtualization environments run at the
same time.

> Enabling/disabling HyperV isn’t that hard but it does require a restart
> which can be irritating if you’re in the middle of other work.

Yep.

> Still… Docker seems neat.

It is. Another work project of mine uses codeship builds for continuous
integration testing and publishing of changes which get pushed to an Amazon
container.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett