Non-technical questions (and beating a dead horse)

Non-technical questions (and beating a dead horse)

Hal Bright
 Owen,

I agree the list should cover non-technical threads and topics, but every question (3 in total) I have posted that was non-technical came back with A) please do not use the "reply"button to start other topics (that was the reply I got for non-technical post #1 and non-technical post #2 when I forgot about the response from #1) and B) a resounding silence on post #3 , #2 & #1.

I then asked if there was need for a listserv for users (people who use Koha, but use support companies [the myriad that are out there] for most of the issues that come across this list). I was told no, that should be done here (after post #3), but still received no answer when I repeated post #3.  I resorted to asking my service provider who provided an adequate answer.

The above is supposed to come across as humorous, so a laugh is in order here>>get ready>>>wait for it>>>[Insert Laugh here]!!!!

I have successfully posted technical questions and have received answers (and thank you!), but this is a tech heavy list.  I still feel the need for a users list is warranted, but feel that this is a community decision, not one where I just start a listserv and invite people to use it.

Hal

Re: Non-technical questions (and beating a dead horse)

Chris Cormack-6
2011/10/6 Hal Bright <[hidden email]>:

>  Owen,
>
> I agree the list should cover non-technical threads and topics, but every
> question (3 in total) I have posted that was non-technical came back with A)
> please do not use the "reply"button to start other topics (that was the
> reply I got for non-technical post #1 and non-technical post #2 when I
> forgot about the response from #1) and B) a resounding silence on post #3 ,
> #2 & #1.
>
> I then asked if there was need for a listserv for users (people who use
> Koha, but use support companies [the myriad that are out there] for most of
> the issues that come across this list). I was told no, that should be done
> here (after post #3), but still received no answer when I repeated post #3.
> I resorted to asking my service provider who provided an adequate answer.
>
> The above is supposed to come across as humorous, so a laugh is in order
> here>>get ready>>>wait for it>>>[Insert Laugh here]!!!!
>
> I have successfully posted technical questions and have received answers
> (and thank you!), but this is a tech heavy list.  I still feel the need for
> a users list is warranted, but feel that this is a community decision, not
> one where I just start a listserv and invite people to use it.

Well you could, but it may just end up like this. This is the non
technical list, koha-devel is the technical list, but you can't
control what people post where, nor who answers what, there are over
2000 people subscribed to his list, only a fraction of whom are
technically minded.

Unfortunately we can't compell them to answer, maybe offer a cookie
next time ? :)

(Note this whole thread is non technical :))

Re: Non-technical questions (and beating a dead horse)

Owen Leonard-4
> I have successfully posted technical questions and have received answers
> (and thank you!), but this is a tech heavy list.

Maybe this is a tech-heavy list because it's the tech-oriented people
who actually answer questions? If only tech-oriented people are
participating, it's going to lean towards the technical.

I'll say it again: This list is whatever the participants make it. If
you're not getting answers to your non-technical questions, that's not
the list's fault. Creating a new list isn't going to magically prompt
everyone to participate.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries

Re: Non-technical questions (and beating a dead horse)

James Ghiorzi
Cookies my favorite :)

Respectfully,

James Ghiorzi
Library Assistant II
San Benito County Free Library
470 Fifth St.
Hollister, CA 95023
(831) 636-4107

> I agree the list should cover non-technical threads and topics, but every
> question (3 in total) I have posted that was non-technical came back with A)
> please do not use the "reply"button to start other topics (that was the
> reply I got for non-technical post #1 and non-technical post #2 when I
> forgot about the response from #1) and B) a resounding silence on post #3 ,
> #2 & #1.
>
> I then asked if there was need for a listserv for users (people who use
> Koha, but use support companies [the myriad that are out there] for most of
> the issues that come across this list). I was told no, that should be done
> here (after post #3), but still received no answer when I repeated post #3.
> I resorted to asking my service provider who provided an adequate answer.
>
> The above is supposed to come across as humorous, so a laugh is in order
> here>>get ready>>>wait for it>>>[Insert Laugh here]!!!!
>
> I have successfully posted technical questions and have received answers
> (and thank you!), but this is a tech heavy list.  I still feel the need for
> a users list is warranted, but feel that this is a community decision, not
> one where I just start a listserv and invite people to use it.

Well you could, but it may just end up like this. This is the non
technical list, koha-devel is the technical list, but you can't
control what people post where, nor who answers what, there are over
2000 people subscribed to his list, only a fraction of whom are
technically minded.

Unfortunately we can't compell them to answer, maybe offer a cookie
next time ? :)

(Note this whole thread is non technical :))

Re: Non-technical questions (and beating a dead horse)

Chris Nighswonger
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> wrote:
2011/10/6 Hal Bright <[hidden email]>:
Unfortunately we can't compell them to answer, maybe offer a cookie
next time ? :)

I'll come out for cookies!

Kind Regards,

Re: Non-technical questions (and beating a dead horse)

Bob Elgie
Probably won't work -- most of us block cookies. (Sorry; couldn't resist!)

Bob Elgie

>Unfortunately we can't compel them to answer, maybe offer a cookie next time ? :)
>
>(Note this whole thread is non technical :))
>
>Chris

Re: Non-technical questions (and beating a dead horse)

MJ Ray-2
Hal Bright <[hidden email]>
> I agree the list should cover non-technical threads and topics, but
> every question (3 in total) I have posted that was non-technical
> came back with A) please do not use the "reply"button to start other
> topics (that was the reply I got for non-technical post #1 and
> non-technical post #2 when I forgot about the response from #1) and
> B) a resounding silence on post #3 , #2 & #1.

Yeah, readers of these discussions are snowed under.  Once upon a
time, I was the sweeper and tried to answer all the questions that
didn't get an answer from anyone else, but I can't do that any more.
I'm just about to delete 800-odd emails which no-one answered because
they're now so old that I doubt anyone cares about the answers any
more (if anyone wants to ask an unanswered question again, please do).
If anyone would like to pay me to answer more questions on this list,
please email me directly and I'll send you a donation link.

Alternatively, please help out and answer questions!  What if you're
no expert?  I wasn't when I started 8 years ago.  I've posted some
absolute howlers, but as long as no-one dies, no-one holds them
against you: the important thing is to try to help, in a humble and
useful way.

Because we're snowed under, misbehaviour like using "reply" to ask a
new question is a pain because the bad cataloguing data it generates
makes it harder for old hands to follow discussions and it also means
that non-techies using the "web forum" views of these discussions
probably won't see it at all.

For example, here's where one of the above questions appeared:
http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/Bulk-Item-Modification-Assinging-Branch-Codes-td3361228.html

I don't see why people with answers about collection performance
would be reading a page about Bulk Item Modification - do you?

So I usually only give those a canned reply - if it was important,
they'll ask it again properly, in a way that non-techies will see both
the question and the answer.  I don't think we can conclude that
another list is needed because a few misplaced questions didn't get
answers.

Hope that helps,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha