New KOHA Installer

Belmekki Mehdi
Hi All,

Our enterprise based on Morocco works on integrating Open Source Software ( specially KOHA, Alfresco and others ) .
We plan to develop a series of custom and robust installer for different open source project.
To do that, the community help is indispensable.
We will be happy to know what kind of configurations and features will you need in this installer.
NOTE : THE INSTALLER WILL BE FREE

Kind Regards

M. ELMEHDI BELMEKKI
Phone : +212664291773
           +212665436019
C.T.O Obel SI S.A.R.L
Web Site : http://www.obelsi.com

Re: New KOHA Installer

Chris Cormack-6
2009/9/3 Belmekki Mehdi <[hidden email]>:

> Hi All,
>
> Our enterprise based on Morocco works on integrating Open Source Software (
> specially KOHA, Alfresco and others ) .
> We plan to develop a series of custom and robust installer for different
> open source project.
> To do that, the community help is indispensable.
> We will be happy to know what kind of configurations and features will you
> need in this installer.
> NOTE : THE INSTALLER WILL BE FREE

Hi  Belmekki

This sounds good, and important question, do you mean Free as in cost,
or much more importantly free as in free software. IE Freedom ... will
the installer be licensed under a free software license like the GPL?

Re: New KOHA Installer

Adalid Ortiz
Wath about the koha 3.x Windows installer?

Re: New KOHA Installer

Belmekki Mehdi
Hello,

"Cost free". Even if we publish the code under GPL license, community will be unable to compile it because we will use Bitrock Installbuilder witch use commercial license.

We can try to get a working beta version and then manage things to involve the whole developer community in developing the installer script code. The compile process will be done under our InstallBuilder with the enterprise license.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Regards
M.BELMEKKI

Adalid Ortiz wrote
Wath about the koha 3.x Windows installer?

Re: New KOHA Installer

Chris Cormack-6
2009/9/3 Belmekki Mehdi <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> "Cost free". Even if we publish the code under GPL license, community will
> be unable to compile it because we will use Bitrock Installbuilder witch use
> commercial license.
>
> We can try to get a working beta version and then manage things to involve
> the whole developer community in developing the installer script code. The
> compile process will be done under our InstallBuilder with the enterprise
> license.

Ahh I'm afraid that makes it a lot less appealing for me.

I think I'll continue to focus my efforts on .deb and .rpm and other
free software installer tools.

Re: New KOHA Installer

Belmekki Mehdi
The 3.X installer is good.

The new installer will be not a concurrent to the current installer. We want to "automate" configurations like authentication against LDAP and several other quotidian treatments that the native installer does'nt support.

Regards

Belmekki Mehdi wrote
Hello,

"Cost free". Even if we publish the code under GPL license, community will be unable to compile it because we will use Bitrock Installbuilder witch use commercial license.

We can try to get a working beta version and then manage things to involve the whole developer community in developing the installer script code. The compile process will be done under our InstallBuilder with the enterprise license.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Regards
M.BELMEKKI

Adalid Ortiz wrote
Wath about the koha 3.x Windows installer?

Re: New KOHA Installer

Belmekki Mehdi
Bitrock support open source project throughout the Bitnami projects. It s easy to use and very performant.
I wish you good luck Chris.

Regards
Chris Cormack-6 wrote
2009/9/3 Belmekki Mehdi <mehdi.belmekki@obelsi.com>:

> Hello,
>
> "Cost free". Even if we publish the code under GPL license, community will
> be unable to compile it because we will use Bitrock Installbuilder witch use
> commercial license.
>
> We can try to get a working beta version and then manage things to involve
> the whole developer community in developing the installer script code. The
> compile process will be done under our InstallBuilder with the enterprise
> license.

Ahh I'm afraid that makes it a lot less appealing for me.

I think I'll continue to focus my efforts on .deb and .rpm and other
free software installer tools.

Re: New KOHA Installer

Zeno Tajoli
Dear Belmekki Mehdi,

At 00.31 03/09/2009, Belmekki Mehdi wrote:

> >> "Cost free". Even if we publish the code under GPL license, community
> >> will
> >> be unable to compile it because we will use Bitrock Installbuilder witch
> >> use
> >> commercial license.
> >>
> >> We can try to get a working beta version and then manage things to
> >> involve
> >> the whole developer community in developing the installer script code.
> >> The
> >> compile process will be done under our InstallBuilder with the enterprise
> >> license.

a feature that the comunity needs is an installer Koha on windows.
There is a quite huge request about installing Koha on windows.

Bye

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)
tajoliAT_SPAM_no_prendiATcilea.it
(Indirizzo mascherato anti-spam; sostituisci quanto tra AT con @)

Re: New KOHA Installer

Belmekki Mehdi
Hello Zeno,

Yes, I am speaking about an installer for unix based systems and windows too.

That's what I mean but : ROBUST installer .

If you have any idea for others features community needs, please let me know.

Regards
Zeno Tajoli wrote