MySQL/MariaDB Auto-increment Persistence

MySQL/MariaDB Auto-increment Persistence

David Cook

Hi all,

This may or may not have already done the rounds, but I figure it doesn’t hurt to bring it up again, as I just learned about it, so maybe it will be news to some of you still.

MariaDB 10.2.4 (from 17 Feb 2017) has “Persistent AUTO_INCREMENT for InnoDB (MDEV-6076)”.

MySQL 8.0 (I think maybe 8.0.1 from April 2017) has “the current maximum auto-increment value is persisted, preventing the reuse of previously allocated values.” (https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/innodb-auto-increment-handling.html).

I reckon this is great news, as I’ve found this particular issue to be a perpetual thorn in my side.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St