MARC field and heading validation with Koha

MARC field and heading validation with Koha

Reichert, Kumiko
Hello all,

I apologize for cross-posting.  My library's Koha will go live next month, and I am now in training.  I hope you don't mind questions from a newbie.

How do you validate MARC fields and headings/access points based on the local authority database (1XX, 6XX, 7XX and 8XX) with Koha?  If Koha does not have the functionality, how do you manage validation?

Sincerely yours,

Kumiko

Kumiko Reichert

Metadata and Cataloging Librarian

Maxwell Library

Bridgewater State University

10 Shaw Road

Bridgewater, MA 02325

[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

508-531-2665

Re: MARC field and heading validation with Koha

Hernandez, Heather
Hi, Kumiko--

I'm not sure our workflow would be applicable since we're a very
specialized museum library, but maybe you'll get some ideas?

We lacked a lot of authority capabilities in our previous catalog software
(Athena), so our headings were & are pretty messy.  I'm in the middle of a
project to clean up the authority file and then the remaining authority
controlled fields in the bib records.  So, that said:

I catalog on OCLC (Connexion Client) but am experimenting with creating
original records in Koha with the Advanced Editor.  I manually search every
single authority controlled field in the Koha authority file, and download
new authority records from OCLC (or for locally created name, series, etc.,
records, key them very laboriously into Koha since there's no Advanced
Editor for authority records--I so dearly hope one is developed!).

If I have reason to substantially edit a bib record, I'll manually search
all the authority controlled fields that lack a $9 authority record link--I
have to do this manually because our Koha installation doesn't validate any
headings that have subfields that are not present in an authority
record--that is, only authority-controlled bib fields that match every,
single subfield in the authority record will validate & link.  So, e.g., in
our catalog, this heading in a bib record will validate & link to an
authority record (which one can see with the $9):
650 _ 0 $a Women sailors. $9 17788

But this heading will not validate & link (so lacks the $9), because
authority records are not created with headings with free-floating
subdivisions such as "$v Fiction:"
650 _ 0 ‡aWomen sailors‡vFiction.

So with us, authority control is still a human function.  We thought
briefly about using a vendor for the initial cleanup (I've had this done at
previous jobs & it's worked very well), but we lack the funds for such a
project.

One feature that is beautiful is that *if* headings are linked to an
authority record, once the authority record is edited or overlaid with a
newer imported version, the linked headings are pretty instantly changed.
Then it's just a matter of some searching & manual editing to update the
headings that aren't linked because they have, e.g., free-floating
subdivisions.  Or typos...sigh...:)

Our catalog is hosted and supported by ByWater & we've chatted a bit about
how we might experiment with some changes that might improve heading
linking, but haven't yet got beyond that--we have yet to upgrade beyond
17.05, so have yet to implement ElasticSearch which, I imagine, might
impact indexing/linking.

Hope this is helpful!  Cheerio,
h2

Re: [ByWater Partners] MARC field and heading validation with Koha

Hernandez, Heather
Hi, Joy!

I haven't yet tried to set the LinkerOptions system preference to
"broader_headings" because the manual (at
https://koha-community.org/manual/17.05/html/02_administration.html?highlight=broader%20headings#linkeroptions)
says:

*Important*

This feature is experimental and shouldn’t be used in a production
environment until further expanded upon.

Is it OK to put into the LinkerOptions syspref: broader_headings
and give it a try?  Am I misreading that manual section?

Thanks!  Cheerio!
h2

Re: [ByWater Partners] MARC field and heading validation with Koha

Reichert, Kumiko
Thanks, Heather and Joy, for excellent observations.  The story with my library is that the authority database currently is in a bad shape since it has not been through any vendor or in-house maintenance for years.  I am planning to have a vendor for the authority and bib maintenance next year.  After it is done, I would like to create a local workflow in terms of heading-control.

Karen and Dani showed me $9 as well as Tag Editor in the basic view.  I also learned the authority linker.  I am interested in using the linker and retrieve a list of unlinked headings for in-house maintenance as well as NACO contribution.  Joy's broader-heading option sounds useful for me to consider utilizing, too.

Thanks for your input!  I am looking forward to learning these things and Koha in general better.

Sincerely,

Kumiko

Kumiko Reichert

Metadata and Cataloging Librarian

Maxwell Library

Bridgewater State University

10 Shaw Road

Bridgewater, MA 02325

[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

508-531-2665

________________________________
As a side note to Heather's excellent synopsis, I'd like to add something.  If you choose to use the authority/bib linker cronjob you have the option to match to 'broader headings'.  So in the example Heather gave, using the automated linking to authority records with a 'broader heading' preference you would match a bib with Women Sailors -- Fiction to the authority record of Women sailors.

Thanks!
joy

*******************************

********************************

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Hernandez, Heather <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
https://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/research-center.htm

Joy Nelson
Vice President, Director of Implementations

ByWater Solutions<http://bywatersolutions.com>
Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Office: Fort Worth, TX
Phone/Fax (888)900-8944
What is Koha? <http://bywatersolutions.com/what-is-koha/>

Re: [ByWater Partners] MARC field and heading validation with Koha

Hernandez, Heather
Thank you so much for sharing all of this, Jennifer!  I think we're going
to give the broader... syspref setting a try after the first of the year!

Cheerio!
h2