MARC Edit

Ola Agha
Dear sirs, hello

I have been dealing with Horizon 8.0 as a library management system for
almost three years, however now I’m installing koha and I’ve been going
through the system, experiencing its features, and exploring its
characteristic.

The only aspect I’ve found where Horizon is more flexible is the MARC edit.

In koha you can’t add tags nor subfields unless you’ve add them in the
framework first,

The cataloger might face different cases when he find himself in need to
add tags or subfields that do not exist in the framework he’s working by.

We can’t edit the framework every time we need to add a tag or a subfield,
especially which we might not use this tags with all the records we’re
cataloging.

Best regards

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nau Mai, Haere Mai ki te whanau Koha. Hello and Welcome to the Koha
> Community.
>
> This is just a brief email to help you make the most of the community,
> and the community make the most of you.
>
> The best thing you can do to start is to introduce yourself. A brief
> email to this mailing list saying who you are and what you want to do
> is a great way to do that.
>
> This is the general discussion list for librarians and others
> interested in the Koha FOSS (free & open-source software) LMS/ILS
> (library management system/integrated library system) and related
> activities. It is a companion to other email lists (see
> <http://lists.koha-community.org/>) that discuss future development or
> aspects of the application.
>
> Before posting to the list, it's always good to read/search through
> the mailing list archive <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.koha>
> and the manual and FAQs <http://koha-community.org/documentation> for
> answers to your questions.
>
> Please feel free to use this list for announcements, questions and
> discussions on relevant topics, and please try to keep it positive and
> polite. Pro-free-software LMS/ILS news is welcome. Debating
> definitions of &#8220;free&#8221; is not.
>
> Please send plain text emails and if you opt for the digest, change
> the subject line when you reply (as described at the top of the
> digest). In general, try to keep subject lines accurate and try to
> write the sort of message that you'd be happy if it appeared on the
> letters page of a national newspaper or magazine. Other useful
> netiquette guidelines can be found in Internet RFC 1855
> <http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt>.
>
> Emails from non-subscribers (and other emails held for review) will
> usually be sent to this list in a batch once a day.
>
> Websites and bloggers may find the gmane archive
> <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.koha> more useful for linking,
> because its comment system is open to all.
>
> Some other useful sites to keep an eye on are included below:
>
> - Koha project home page <http://koha-community.org> - Here you will
> find links to other Koha websites and announcements of interest to the
> Koha community.
>
> - Koha Bugs <http://bugs.koha-community.org> - Here you will find
> enhancement projects as well as bugs
>
> - Koha Developer Wiki <http://wiki.koha-community.org> - information
> about the development process and RFCs (Request for Comments)
>
> - Koha Git Repository <http://git.koha-community.org/> - patches and
> enhancements to Koha from the community
>
> - Koha Documentation <http://koha-community.org/documentation>
>
> We look forward to meeting you and working with you.

Re: MARC Edit

arslan
Hi Agha

Dear sirs, hello

I'm sure you meant dear sirs *and* misses :)

Just two things that came to my mind, for the rest, someone with proper
expertise may soon reply to you.

I hope you created a new framework like explained here:
http://manual.koha-community.org/3.6/en/catadmin.html#marcbibframeworks

> We can’t edit the framework every time we need to add a tag or a subfield,
> especially which we might not use this tags with all the records we’re
> cataloging.

And, well yes, we should not do that... editing the framework every time we
need to add a tag or subfield. But, what we *should* do is we enable all
the fields we *may* need during cataloging, and when we do the cataloging,
we simply leave the fields we might not need for a _specific_ record.
Simple.

Regards,
arslan

Re: MARC Edit

Iming Chan
Dear all,

I totally agreed with Ola on the flexibility issue of the Marc Edit screen.  It seriously needs enhancement!  Ability to add new tag(s) and subfield(s) should be part of this.  The current design means all tags and subfields need to be present on the cataloging framework.  I would suggest the following enhancement:

1. Using spreadsheet format (rows and columns) for data entry area.  You can have columns (left to right): Tag, I1 (Indicator 1), I2 (Indicator 2) and Data.  Remove Koha 0 to 9 tabs at top.

2. Expert cataloguers can enter the 3-digit MARC tag number straight in the Tag column.  If unsure, click on the dropdown arrow (positioned between the Tag and I1 columns), where a new window will pop up allowing the cataloguer to select from an "expandable tree" like below:

- Title
     - Main entry
     - Added entry
+ Author
+ Imprint
+ Notes
+ Subjects
+ Numbers

Click on the required heading will automatically expand to the next level of heading(s), if available.  Once the lowest level of heading has been selected, pop-up screen will close.  The corresponding MARC tag and indicator(s) will automatically inserted into the grid(s).  Indicator column(s) will be grayed out for those tags that do not require such input.  The mouse cursor will move to the next required data entry position.

3. Once a MARC tag has been determined for a row/line, the cataloguer can enter required subfield tag (i.e. $a) or press [Insert] key to display pop-up screen with available subfield tag and corresponding headings.

4. For clarity, subfield tags should be presented in different colour to the actual data.  Depending on the preference, multipe subfields maybe entered all on the same line instead of separate lines like now.

5. For lengthy details, the size of the "cell" will automatically expand and text wrapped (like MS Excel).

6. For Leader, 006, 007 or 008 tags, "..." will appear like now that allow data entry of further details.  For tags that require authority validation, perhaps a "search glass" will appear and the cataloguer can click to complete this task.

7. Press [Tab] to move to the next line/tag.

8. To delete a line, simply highlight the required row (like MS Excel) and then click [X]

This is just my suggestion.

Iming
Iming Chan (Mr.)
Rosewood Farm Library | Rosewood Farm Group Pty. Ltd.
20 Research Road (PO Box 363), Lara, Victoria, 3212, Australia
Phone: +61 3 5275 2939
rosewoodfarm.com.au

Re: MARC Edit

BWS Johnson-2
Salvete!

    Sorry, but if someone comes up with the money to actually fix cataloguing, I'd rather take a rusty spoon to my eye than "upgrade" to a MS excel sort of style. One big blank field like III would be way more preferable to me. Intuitive cataloguing for non cataloguers as I outlined on my blog a long time ago when animals could talk would be the alternative to folks that don't want to be bothered with learning MARC.

Cheers,
Brooke