Koha on Mac OS X? Seeking more info

Ann Sawusch
Hello. I am a newbie to this list. Could you point me to more information on using Koha in a Mac OS X environment? I found and read Stephen Hedges doc Installing Koha on Mac OS X.(2006)

I am working with a group with no budget and a donated Mac (nice, running 10.3.?). Is it possible to establish a stable production Koha on OS X? What doesn't work or breaks with the absence of the Net::Z3950 module "and some other limitations"?

I would be very interested in learning details of cons of Mac OS X. It will be a hardsell to strip out the OS X and rebuild in Linux. Folks have a comfort level with OS X (security, updating, network configuration...)and want to understand 'why not'.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ann Sawusch
asawusch at mac dot com

Re: Koha on Mac OS X? Seeking more info

Stephen Hedges
Ann -

What you'll be missing is the ability to search for bibliographic records
from other libraries, because you won't have a Z39.50 client. One of the
modules that makes the client work (Event) has not been ported to OS X.
Last I knew, Koha 3.0 was not going to have this problem -- at least
that's the hope. (I notice, however, from Joshua's latest Debian doc that
Event is still be used in Koha 2.2.6.)

For now, though, I think Koha on Mac OS X makes for a nice demo and/or
training tool, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it in a production
environment.  If you start playing with Koha now, and Koha 3.0 truly does
work better with Mac OS X, then you should be ready to jump right in when
3.0 is released.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA

Re: Koha on Mac OS X? Seeking more info

Ann Sawusch
Thanks Stephen for your quick reply.

If the bulkmarc inport utility works well we may be in good shape already. We don't need to import records from other libraries at this point.  This group is building an archive of their MARC cataloging data at MARCIVE for export when we have a system up / stable. This means with very limited staffing uncataloged materials can get nice labels & smart barcodes and even (yikes) catalog cards. The manual checkout process has worked well for me as a transition phase in small (n=200) of patrons environments.

Let me add my voice to any who are requesting that the 650 subject fields be a priority to fix so all the _x & _z , etc. subfields work properly.  In collections that are very dense in one subject area, the ability to scan/search both the whole 650 as a phrase, as well as the individual components is important for accessing the intellectual content of the collection. Browsing a phrase index of 650's has become a digital form of physical shelf browsing to learn what a collection holds. (Some of us also browse LC Classification / call numbers...)

Ann Sawusch
Librarian
Research Institute on Addictions
University at Buffalo, Buffalo NY

On Thursday, March 23, 2006, at 01:11PM, Stephen Hedges <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Ann -
>
>What you'll be missing is the ability to search for bibliographic records
>from other libraries, because you won't have a Z39.50 client. One of the
>modules that makes the client work (Event) has not been ported to OS X.
>Last I knew, Koha 3.0 was not going to have this problem -- at least
>that's the hope. (I notice, however, from Joshua's latest Debian doc that
>Event is still be used in Koha 2.2.6.)
>
>For now, though, I think Koha on Mac OS X makes for a nice demo and/or
>training tool, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it in a production
>environment.  If you start playing with Koha now, and Koha 3.0 truly does
>work better with Mac OS X, then you should be ready to jump right in when
>3.0 is released.
>
>Stephen
>
>Ann Sawusch wrote:
>> Hello. I am a newbie to this list. Could you point me to more information
>> on using Koha in a Mac OS X environment? I found and read Stephen Hedges
>> doc Installing Koha on Mac OS X.(2006)
>>
>> I am working with a group with no budget and a donated Mac (nice, running
>> 10.3.?). Is it possible to establish a stable production Koha on OS X?
>> What doesn't work or breaks with the absence of the Net::Z3950 module "and
>> some other limitations"?
>>
>> I would be very interested in learning details of cons of Mac OS X. It
>> will be a hardsell to strip out the OS X and rebuild in Linux. Folks have
>> a comfort level with OS X (security, updating, network
>> configuration...)and want to understand 'why not'.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>>
>> Ann Sawusch
>> asawusch at mac dot com
>
>--
>Stephen Hedges
>Skemotah Solutions, USA
>www.skemotah.com  --  [hidden email]

Ann Sawusch

Re: Koha on Mac OS X? Seeking more info

Joshua Ferraro-3
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 04:40:26PM -0500, Ann Sawusch wrote:
> Let me add my voice to any who are requesting that the 650 subject
> fields be a priority to fix so all the _x & _z , etc. subfields work
> properly.  In collections that are very dense in one subject area, the
> ability to scan/search both the whole 650 as a phrase, as well as the
> individual components is important for accessing the intellectual
> content of the collection.
There's been a lot of misinformation about this issue. If you set up
your frameworks properly the 650 x and z (and any other field you specify)
will 'work properly'. If you're intimidated by the frameworks, Koha 2.2.6
will include a full 'Standard MARC' framework that will have all of that
set up already.

> Browsing a phrase index of 650's has become a
> digital form of physical shelf browsing to learn what a collection holds.
What you're describing is normally achieved using authority records --
which of course Koha fully supports.

Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
President, Technology       migration, training, maintenance, support
LibLime                                Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
[hidden email] |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS