Koha as a federated library

Anselm Olweny
Dear Colleagues,

I am setting up a federated library system using koha where each of the libraries needs to have its own look and feel and also should be able to search its own collection and also be able to search the collection of the other libraries in the federation by the users choice. I have also integrated koha into a CMS "joomla" in order to handle non koha pages.

In my koha set up I have created the different libraries as branches and activitated the IndependantBranches preference in koha. You can see this at http://koha.apkn.org (koha in Joomla) or http://koha.apkn.org:81 (Koha pure) or http://koha.apkn.org:81/cgi-bin/koha/opac-mainug.pl and http://koha.apkn.org:81/cgi-bin/koha/opac-mainke.pl (Independent libraries).

However, I am not sure whether this is the right way to set up federated libraries using koha. Could someone kindly advise me about the right way to set up federated libraries using koha?

Thanks

Anselm

Re: Koha as a federated library

savitra sirohi
Anselm, nice work on Joomla integration!

On the look & feel for each library I suggest you use the multi-opac
feature in koha. With this feature you can assign different css files
for each library. Also the search will be performed only on that
library's items.

You will need different sub-domains for each library.

Here is an example:
http://east.koha.dce.k12.wi.us/
http://weston.koha.dce.k12.wi.us/

Thanks,
Savitra Sirohi
Nucsoft OSS Labs
http://www.osslabs.biz

2010/4/17 Anselm Olweny <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am setting up a federated library system using koha where each of the
> libraries needs to have its own look and feel and also should be able to
> search its own collection and also be able to search the collection of the
> other libraries in the federation by the users choice. I have also
> integrated koha into a CMS "joomla" in order to handle non koha pages.
>
> In my koha set up I have created the different libraries as branches and
> activitated the IndependantBranches preference in koha. You can see this at
> http://koha.apkn.org (koha in Joomla) or http://koha.apkn.org:81 (Koha pure)
> or http://koha.apkn.org:81/cgi-bin/koha/opac-mainug.pl and
> http://koha.apkn.org:81/cgi-bin/koha/opac-mainke.pl (Independent libraries).
>
> However, I am not sure whether this is the right way to set up federated
> libraries using koha. Could someone kindly advise me about the right way to
> set up federated libraries using koha?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anselm

Re: Koha as a federated library

nengard
Savitra,

Can you speak a bit more about the multi-opac feature? This is not
something I have documented. Do you have it documented somewhere?
Would you like to write something up for the manual that I can share
with everyone?

Basically I have no idea how I would assign different css files to each library.

Thanks
Nicole C. Engard

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 3:54 AM, savitra sirohi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anselm, nice work on Joomla integration!
>
> On the look & feel for each library I suggest you use the multi-opac
> feature in koha. With this feature you can assign different css files
> for each library. Also the search will be performed only on that
> library's items.
>
> You will need different sub-domains for each library.
>
> Here is an example:
> http://east.koha.dce.k12.wi.us/
> http://weston.koha.dce.k12.wi.us/
>
> Thanks,
> Savitra Sirohi
> Nucsoft OSS Labs
> http://www.osslabs.biz
>
> 2010/4/17 Anselm Olweny <[hidden email]>:
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>> I am setting up a federated library system using koha where each of the
>> libraries needs to have its own look and feel and also should be able to
>> search its own collection and also be able to search the collection of the
>> other libraries in the federation by the users choice. I have also
>> integrated koha into a CMS "joomla" in order to handle non koha pages.
>>
>> In my koha set up I have created the different libraries as branches and
>> activitated the IndependantBranches preference in koha. You can see this at
>> http://koha.apkn.org (koha in Joomla) or http://koha.apkn.org:81 (Koha pure)
>> or http://koha.apkn.org:81/cgi-bin/koha/opac-mainug.pl and
>> http://koha.apkn.org:81/cgi-bin/koha/opac-mainke.pl (Independent libraries).
>>
>> However, I am not sure whether this is the right way to set up federated
>> libraries using koha. Could someone kindly advise me about the right way to
>> set up federated libraries using koha?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Anselm

Re: Koha as a federated library

vimal0212
Congrats Anselm.

You are integrated Koha well into Joomla.
Can you share with community members about how Koha integrate with Koha?

Anybody integrated Koha into Drupal?

Vimal Kumar V.
Asst. Librarian
Asian School of Business
Technopark, Trivandrum-695 581
Web: www.vimalkumar.co.nr
Blog: http://vimalkumar.oksociety.in

OK Society Volunteer. http://oksociety.in
Vimal Kumar V.
Mahatma Gandhi University Library
Kottayam, Kerala, India.
www.vimalkumar.org

Re: Koha as a federated library

nengard
BibLibre wrote the connectors for Koha 3.2 to SOPAC which is built on
Drupal.  More here:
http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=c8807

Thanks
Nicole

2010/4/17 Vimal Kumar <[hidden email]>:

> Congrats Anselm.
>
> You are integrated Koha well into Joomla.
> Can you share with community members about how Koha integrate with Koha?
>
> Anybody integrated Koha into Drupal?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Vimal Kumar V.
> Asst. Librarian
> Asian School of Business
> Technopark, Trivandrum-695 581
> Web: www.vimalkumar.co.nr
> Blog: http://vimalkumar.oksociety.in
>
> OK Society Volunteer. http://oksociety.in

Re: Koha as a federated library

Anselm Olweny
Thanks Vimal,

Nothing much there really, I just used the wrapper component in Joomla which basically includes the koha opac as an inframe. Using the html iframe tag, I thinks it should be possible to include koha within any website. I choose to do this mainly to handle no koha pages and features.

Thanks

Anselm

2010/4/17 Vimal Kumar <[hidden email]>
Congrats Anselm.

You are integrated Koha well into Joomla.
Can you share with community members about how Koha integrate with Koha?

Anybody integrated Koha into Drupal?

Vimal Kumar V.
Asst. Librarian
Asian School of Business
Technopark, Trivandrum-695 581
Web: www.vimalkumar.co.nr
Blog: http://vimalkumar.oksociety.in

OK Society Volunteer. http://oksociety.in

Re: Koha as a federated library

Anselm Olweny
Thanks Savitra,

Could you guide further about how to implement this?

Anselm

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM, savitra sirohi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anselm, nice work on Joomla integration!

On the look & feel for each library I suggest you use the multi-opac
feature in koha. With this feature you can assign different css files
for each library. Also the search will be performed only on that
library's items.

You will need different sub-domains for each library.

Here is an example:
http://east.koha.dce.k12.wi.us/
http://weston.koha.dce.k12.wi.us/

Thanks,
Savitra Sirohi
Nucsoft OSS Labs
http://www.osslabs.biz

2010/4/17 Anselm Olweny <[hidden email]>:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am setting up a federated library system using koha where each of the
> libraries needs to have its own look and feel and also should be able to
> search its own collection and also be able to search the collection of the
> other libraries in the federation by the users choice. I have also
> integrated koha into a CMS "joomla" in order to handle non koha pages.
>
> In my koha set up I have created the different libraries as branches and
> activitated the IndependantBranches preference in koha. You can see this at
> http://koha.apkn.org (koha in Joomla) or http://koha.apkn.org:81 (Koha pure)
> or http://koha.apkn.org:81/cgi-bin/koha/opac-mainug.pl and
> http://koha.apkn.org:81/cgi-bin/koha/opac-mainke.pl (Independent libraries).
>
> However, I am not sure whether this is the right way to set up federated
> libraries using koha. Could someone kindly advise me about the right way to
> set up federated libraries using koha?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anselm

Re: Koha as a federated library

savitra sirohi
Anselm/Nicole,

In the default koha-httpd.conf file you should see these lines:

#  Repeat this virtualhost stanza changing the following environment vars to
#  create multiple OPAC interfaces with custom css and/or search limits:
#  SetEnv OPAC_CSS_OVERRIDE mystyle.css
#  SetEnv OPAC_SEARCH_LIMIT branch:CODE
#  SetEnv OPAC_LIMIT_OVERRIDE 1

So what you need to do is:
Create a Apache2 virtual host for each sub-domain or library, e.g.
library-1.yourkoha.org. In each Apache2 virtual host, repeat the
stanza above, don't forget to remove the #.

Create a css file for each branch and save in your
/koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/prog/en/css/ folder.

In the lines above replace "mystyle.css" with the name of the css
file. Replace CODE with the branch code of the particular library.

Thanks,
Savitra Sirohi
Nucsoft OSS Labs
http://www.osslabs.biz