Koha 18.11 - LC Authorities dataset upload - Free-floating subdivisions

Koha 18.11 - LC Authorities dataset upload - Free-floating subdivisions

Craig Butosi-2
Hi everyone,

Koha 18.11 on Ubuntu 16.04 (MariaDb)

I recently discovered that the Library of Congress has released their 2014
authorities as a free, open-access dataset in Marc8, xml, and Utf8 formats.
This is great! (
https://www.loc.gov/cds/products/MDSConnect-subject_authorities.html)

I am in the process of batch uploading the subject authority file into my
instance of Koha. I'm about half complete (or about 220,000 entries).

I noticed, however, that the file includes free-floating subdivisions,
which are part of the dataset as their own record as if they were main
headings. These have been uploaded as such into my system.

I get an "Internal Server Error" page if I attempt to click on the Details
button of any of these sub-divisions in the OPAC authority browse page. Not
a huge deal, but something that should be mentioned. E.g.,
http://library.craigbutosi.ca/cgi-bin/koha/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl?authid=3436
)

I was wondering if this should be treated as a bug, and if anyone has done
something similar and is (or is not) getting the same error.

I reindexed zebra after uploading, but the error persists.

Thanks all,

Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
Library: library.craigbutosi.ca

Re: Koha 18.11 - LC Authorities dataset upload - Free-floating subdivisions

Katrin Fischer-2
Hi Craig,

what's the error in your plack error log that appears with the Internal
server error? Could you give an example of how these free-floating
subdivisions look like in MARC? What is the field for the main heading?

It could be a bug or requiring an enhancement - a bit hard to tell
without knowing more. Having an internal server error is never nice, so
filing a bug might make sense anyway.

Katrin

On 09.05.19 14:52, Craig Butosi wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Koha 18.11 on Ubuntu 16.04 (MariaDb)
>
> I recently discovered that the Library of Congress has released their 2014
> authorities as a free, open-access dataset in Marc8, xml, and Utf8 formats.
> This is great! (
> https://www.loc.gov/cds/products/MDSConnect-subject_authorities.html)
>
> I am in the process of batch uploading the subject authority file into my
> instance of Koha. I'm about half complete (or about 220,000 entries).
>
> I noticed, however, that the file includes free-floating subdivisions,
> which are part of the dataset as their own record as if they were main
> headings. These have been uploaded as such into my system.
>
> I get an "Internal Server Error" page if I attempt to click on the Details
> button of any of these sub-divisions in the OPAC authority browse page. Not
> a huge deal, but something that should be mentioned. E.g.,
> http://library.craigbutosi.ca/cgi-bin/koha/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl?authid=3436
> )
>
> I was wondering if this should be treated as a bug, and if anyone has done
> something similar and is (or is not) getting the same error.
>
> I reindexed zebra after uploading, but the error persists.
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
> Library: library.craigbutosi.ca

Re: Koha 18.11 - LC Authorities dataset upload - Free-floating subdivisions

Craig Butosi-3
Hi Katrin,

Thanks for your reply. Interestingly, when you navigate to a subdivision
authority record from the staff client, you can get to the MARC data just
fine. For example,

Subdivision: *Effect of logging on:*

Tab 0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdlwh5o3ja7uzff/Subdiv1.PNG?dl=0
Tab 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/13xc61qaypfo4fz/Subdiv2.PNG?dl=0
Tab 6: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft0lhw8pd0en08z/Subdiv3.PNG?dl=0

Plack Error:

I have a smattering of the following error in the plack log file:
"Can't call method "authtypetext" on an undefined value at
/usr/share/koha/opac/cgi-bin/opac/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl line 89."
which seems to coincide with attempting to click the "Details" button on
the authorities list from the OPAC.

I wonder if this error occurs because there is no defined authority type
for free-floating subdivisions?

All best,

Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
Library: library.craigbutosi.ca

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 3:24 PM Katrin Fischer <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> what's the error in your plack error log that appears with the Internal
> server error? Could you give an example of how these free-floating
> subdivisions look like in MARC? What is the field for the main heading?
>
> It could be a bug or requiring an enhancement - a bit hard to tell
> without knowing more. Having an internal server error is never nice, so
> filing a bug might make sense anyway.
>
> Katrin
>
> On 09.05.19 14:52, Craig Butosi wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Koha 18.11 on Ubuntu 16.04 (MariaDb)
> >
> > I recently discovered that the Library of Congress has released their
> 2014
> > authorities as a free, open-access dataset in Marc8, xml, and Utf8
> formats.
> > This is great! (
> > https://www.loc.gov/cds/products/MDSConnect-subject_authorities.html)
> >
> > I am in the process of batch uploading the subject authority file into my
> > instance of Koha. I'm about half complete (or about 220,000 entries).
> >
> > I noticed, however, that the file includes free-floating subdivisions,
> > which are part of the dataset as their own record as if they were main
> > headings. These have been uploaded as such into my system.
> >
> > I get an "Internal Server Error" page if I attempt to click on the
> Details
> > button of any of these sub-divisions in the OPAC authority browse page.
> Not
> > a huge deal, but something that should be mentioned. E.g.,
> >
> http://library.craigbutosi.ca/cgi-bin/koha/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl?authid=3436
> > )
> >
> > I was wondering if this should be treated as a bug, and if anyone has
> done
> > something similar and is (or is not) getting the same error.
> >
> > I reindexed zebra after uploading, but the error persists.
> >
> > Thanks all,
> >
> > Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
> > Library: library.craigbutosi.ca

Re: Koha 18.11 - LC Authorities dataset upload - Free-floating subdivisions

Craig Butosi-3
Hi everyone,

After some playing around, I discovered that the authority records were
given a Koha-specific value of "GEN_SUBDIV" in field 942 (this tag is
hidden by default so it will not appear in the editor screen before you
make it display). I therefore created a new authority type in
Administration with the code "GEN_SUBDIV" and linked it to authority field
180 and bingo, the Internal Server Error disappears:

http://library.craigbutosi.ca/cgi-bin/koha/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl?authid=3436

I have yet to see if this fix applies to all of the subdivisions in my
file. When I have some quiet time, I'll review.

All best,

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:16 AM Craig Butosi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > headings. These have been uploaded as such into my system.
>> >
>> > I get an "Internal Server Error" page if I attempt to click on the
>> Details
>> > button of any of these sub-divisions in the OPAC authority browse page.
>> Not
>> > a huge deal, but something that should be mentioned. E.g.,
>> >
>> http://library.craigbutosi.ca/cgi-bin/koha/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl?authid=3436
>> > )
>> >
>> > I was wondering if this should be treated as a bug, and if anyone has
>> done
>> > something similar and is (or is not) getting the same error.
>> >
>> > I reindexed zebra after uploading, but the error persists.
>> >
>> > Thanks all,
>> >
>> > Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
>> > Library: library.craigbutosi.ca

Re: Koha 18.11 - LC Authorities dataset upload - Free-floating subdivisions

Jonathan Druart
Hi Craig,

This sounds like a bug, GEN_SUBDIV should be a defined. Could you open
a bug report?

Regards,
Jonathan

Le ven. 31 mai 2019 à 09:36, Craig Butosi <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
>
> After some playing around, I discovered that the authority records were
> given a Koha-specific value of "GEN_SUBDIV" in field 942 (this tag is
> hidden by default so it will not appear in the editor screen before you
> make it display). I therefore created a new authority type in
> Administration with the code "GEN_SUBDIV" and linked it to authority field
> 180 and bingo, the Internal Server Error disappears:
>
> http://library.craigbutosi.ca/cgi-bin/koha/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl?authid=3436
>
> I have yet to see if this fix applies to all of the subdivisions in my
> file. When I have some quiet time, I'll review.
>
> All best,
>
> Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
> Library: library.craigbutosi.ca
>

> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:16 AM Craig Butosi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Katrin,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply. Interestingly, when you navigate to a subdivision
> > authority record from the staff client, you can get to the MARC data just
> > fine. For example,
> >
> > Subdivision: *Effect of logging on:*
> >
> > Tab 0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdlwh5o3ja7uzff/Subdiv1.PNG?dl=0
> > Tab 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/13xc61qaypfo4fz/Subdiv2.PNG?dl=0
> > Tab 6: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft0lhw8pd0en08z/Subdiv3.PNG?dl=0
> >
> > Plack Error:
> >
> > I have a smattering of the following error in the plack log file:
> > "Can't call method "authtypetext" on an undefined value at
> > /usr/share/koha/opac/cgi-bin/opac/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl line 89."
> > which seems to coincide with attempting to click the "Details" button on
> > the authorities list from the OPAC.
> >
> > I wonder if this error occurs because there is no defined authority type
> > for free-floating subdivisions?
> >
> > All best,
> >
> > Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
> > Library: library.craigbutosi.ca
> >

> > On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 3:24 PM Katrin Fischer <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Craig,
> >>
> >> what's the error in your plack error log that appears with the Internal
> >> server error? Could you give an example of how these free-floating
> >> subdivisions look like in MARC? What is the field for the main heading?
> >>
> >> It could be a bug or requiring an enhancement - a bit hard to tell
> >> without knowing more. Having an internal server error is never nice, so
> >> filing a bug might make sense anyway.
> >>
> >> Katrin

> >> 2014
> >> formats.

> >> my

> >> Details
> >> Not
> >> >
> >> http://library.craigbutosi.ca/cgi-bin/koha/opac-authoritiesdetail.pl?authid=3436

> >> done

Re: Koha 18.11 - LC Authorities dataset upload - Free-floating subdivisions

Craig Butosi-2
Will do. Thanks for confirming Jonathan.

Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, BMus Hons.
Library: library.craigbutosi.ca