Koha 18.05 released in march ? (Joubu)

paul POULAIN-3

Hi Koha-devel & mainly Jonathan,

On your RM proposal (https://wiki.koha-community.org/w/index.php?title=Proposal_for_RM_18.05_joubu) , you write:

  • Koha 18.05 will be released end of March, if it is considered stable enough for release

I've nothing against this, but is there a reason to release in March and not in May as usual ? In this case, shouldn't we call it 18.03 ? Or will it be a 18.05RC, and the final 18.05.00 will still be in May ? Anyway: explanation welcomed ;)

--
Paul Poulain, Associé-gérant / co-owner
BibLibre, Services en logiciels libres pour les bibliothèques

Re: Koha 18.05 released in march ? (Joubu)

Jonathan Druart
Hi Paul,
It's a typo, 18.05 will be released in May of course.
Thanks for catching it.
Jonathan

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 at 07:40 Paul Poulain <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Koha-devel & mainly Jonathan,

On your RM proposal (https://wiki.koha-community.org/w/index.php?title=Proposal_for_RM_18.05_joubu) , you write:

  • Koha 18.05 will be released end of March, if it is considered stable enough for release

I've nothing against this, but is there a reason to release in March and not in May as usual ? In this case, shouldn't we call it 18.03 ? Or will it be a 18.05RC, and the final 18.05.00 will still be in May ? Anyway: explanation welcomed ;)

--
Paul Poulain, Associé-gérant / co-owner
BibLibre, Services en logiciels libres pour les bibliothèques
BibLibre, Open Source software and services for libraries

Re: Koha 18.05 released in march ? (Joubu)

Paul A-2
On 2017-11-04 06:40 AM, Paul Poulain wrote:

> Hi Koha-devel & mainly Jonathan,
>
> On your RM proposal
> (https://wiki.koha-community.org/w/index.php?title=Proposal_for_RM_18.05_joubu)
> , you write:
>
>   * Koha 18.05 will be released *end of March*, if it is considered
>     stable enough for release
>
> I've nothing against this, but is there a reason to release in March and
> not in May as usual ? In this case, shouldn't we call it 18.03 ? Or will
> it be a 18.05RC, and the final 18.05.00 will still be in May ? Anyway:
> explanation welcomed ;)

Putting on a "philosophical hat", might it be clearer to
users/developers and/or other interested users -- and as a consequence
assist Jonathan with his sign-off and QA responsibilities -- to use the
term "beta release"?

Paul P. hints at this with the suffix "RC" which can (Wikipedia) be
defined as "beta version with potential to be a final product, which is
ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of
product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded
and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known
showstopper-class bugs."

I recognize that the old (1950s?) IBM use of the terms "alpha" and
"beta" have changed over the years, but the practicalities, clarity and
advantages are well known to many or most of us. I do not remember this
being discussed re: Koha, but could have missed something.

Warmest regards all round,
Paul