Quantcast

Item types vs CCODE (Collection codes)

Iming Chan
Dear all,

Just started to migrate from our existing ILMS to Koha and working through the "Basic Parameters", I am a little curious between Item Types and CCODE (Collection Codes).  It seems to me that Item Types really is Collections, as it allows you to set lending permission, etc.  Whereas CCODE, you cannot set lending permission.

Our lending policy is based on individual collection, not item types.  For example, books are found in fiction, non-fiction, reference, etc., and most can be borrowed, except those in the reference collection.

Finally, Call Numbers in our old ILMS consists of: Prefix, Main Number, Suffix.  Prefix is setup in the Collection parameter.  For example, when selected Reference Collection, "REF" is automatically inserted as Prefix.  Whereas Prefix is ignored when Non-fiction Collection is selected (we have left prefix as blank).  This avoids the need to manually enter prefix when creating new items.

Iming Chan
Translib Information Service
Melbourne, Australia
http://translib.com

Phone: +61 3 9801 5097
Fax: +61 3 9801 4024
E-mail: iming@translib.com

Re: Item types vs CCODE (Collection codes)

Robin Sheat-2
Iming Chan schreef op ma 27-05-2013 om 05:02 [-0700]:
> Just started to migrate from our existing ILMS to Koha and working
> through
> the "Basic Parameters", I am a little curious between Item Types and
> CCODE
> (Collection Codes).  It seems to me that Item Types really is
> Collections,
> as it allows you to set lending permission, etc.  Whereas CCODE, you
> cannot
> set lending permission.

In general, if you have a set of criteria that determines circulation
rules, make item types represent those criteria. Collection code and
shelving location are purely for display and report purposes,

In your example, you have non-fiction, fiction, reference, etc as item
types with their own circ rules.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.

Re: Item types vs CCODE (Collection codes)

Chris Meech
You have probably seen this post
http://library-matters.blogspot.co.nz/2009/03/thinking-about-item-types-in-koha.html
which outlines some differences between itypes and ccodes well.

Itypes are the real work horses in Koha and give a granular level of control to your collections.

In 3.10 the option of adding both ccode and itype to the OPAC advances search is available through the AdvancedSearchTypes
Syspref (which is great)

Cheers
Chris

Christopher Meech
Reference and Heritage Librarian
Waitaki District Libraries
P.O. Box 134,Oamaru 9444
62 Thames St, Oamaru 9400

www.library.waitaki.govt.nz

Re: Item types vs CCODE (Collection codes)

Elaine Bradtke-3
We use collection codes to group together actual collections (a body of
material donated by a specific organization or individual). Useful for
statistics, and it helps when we need to bulk edit items because a
particular collection has been shifted to another location. Within these
collections we have different item types with their associated circulation
rules, etc.
So one might have a 'collection' of material that includes item types such
as books, sound recordings, maps, etc.
Elaine

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Chris Meech <[hidden email]>wrote:

> You have probably seen this post
>
> http://library-matters.blogspot.co.nz/2009/03/thinking-about-item-types-in-koha.html
> which outlines some differences between itypes and ccodes well.
>
> Itypes are the real work horses in Koha and give a granular level of
> control to your collections.
>
> In 3.10 the option of adding both ccode and itype to the OPAC advances
> search is available through the AdvancedSearchTypes
> Syspref (which is great)
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> Christopher Meech
> Reference and Heritage Librarian
> Waitaki District Libraries
> P.O. Box 134,Oamaru 9444
> 62 Thames St, Oamaru 9400

> www.library.waitaki.govt.nz

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)