Installation Failure

Charles Kelley
Hello, all

    I am new to both Linux and Koha. I readily admit so. After several
failed attempts to install Debian Linux on VirtualBox for Mac, I finally
succeeded. Now I have trouble in installing Koha on the Debian VirtualBox.
It fails at the first instruction in the Koha-Community instructions.

    When I open terminal and type this instruction

$ wget -q -O- https://debian.koha-community.org/koha/gpg.asc | sudo apt-key
add -

terminal reports

bash: sudo: command not found

    When I type this instruction

$ wget -q -O- http://debian.koha-community.org/koha/gpg.asc | sudo apt-key
add -

terminal reports

base: sudo: command not found

    I have even tried a variant from Joel Hertel's installation guide from
a few years ago, to wit:

$ su
$ wget -q -O- http://debian.koha-community.org/koha/gpg.asc | apt-key add -

    What am I doing wrong?

--
    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    011-81-80-4714-5490 [JPN cell]

    [hidden email] [h]
    [hidden email] [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.

Re: Installation Failure

Katrin Fischer-2
Hi Charles,

it appears that under some circumstances the sudo command is not
available on a fresh Debian installation. I found this blog post that
might be helpful in solving this:

https://chewett.co.uk/blog/477/sudo-command-not-found-debian-fixed/

I've also found this, which might explain the situation a bit more:

"As of DebianSqueeze <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianSqueeze>, if you
give root an empty password during installation, sudo will be installed
and the first user will be able to use it to gain root access
(currently, the user will be added to the *sudo* group). The system will
also configure gksu and aptitude to use sudo. You should still verify
group membership
<https://wiki.debian.org/sudo#Verifying_sudo_membership> after logging
in as the installed user." (https://wiki.debian.org/sudo)

Hope it helps,