Indexing Not Updating

Bruce A. Metcalf
Greetings,

Koha 3.22.1 installed via packages, running on Debian "Wheezy" 7.9, both
recently updated.

Cataloging works, and I can see the biblioand item records using the
Inventory tool, but Search does not return any hits. It had previously
worked, but as Imostly work on the back end, it may have been a version
or two back when last I tried, and patron feedback is nil.

I did try running the Zebra Permission Repair process at
<http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Fix_zebra_permissions>, but it
fails with messages like: "sudo: koha-create-dirs: command not found"
and "sudo: koha-rebuild-zebra: command not found".

Suggestions?

Bruce A. Metcalf
Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Chris Cormack-7

On 27 December 2015 8:54:43 am NZDT, "Bruce A. Metcalf" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Koha 3.22.1 installed via packages, running on Debian "Wheezy" 7.9,
>both
>recently updated.
>
>Cataloging works, and I can see the biblioand item records using the
>Inventory tool, but Search does not return any hits. It had previously
>worked, but as Imostly work on the back end, it may have been a version
>
>or two back when last I tried, and patron feedback is nil.
>
>I did try running the Zebra Permission Repair process at
><http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Fix_zebra_permissions>, but it
>fails with messages like: "sudo: koha-create-dirs: command not found"
>and "sudo: koha-rebuild-zebra: command not found".

Well that is definitely a symptom of your problem, koha-rebuild-zebra is what the cron job runs to update the index.

Can you do an ls /usr/sbin please, are those files there, if so try running them with the full path, eg
sudo /usr/sbin/koha-create-dirs instancename

That should get the index rebuilt. Then you could look up how to fix the path in sudo.

Chris
>Suggestions?
>
>Bruce A. Metcalf
>Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Bruce A. Metcalf
On 12/26/2015 03:08 PM, Chris Cormack wrote:

> On 27 December 2015 8:54:43 am NZDT, "Bruce A. Metcalf" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Koha 3.22.1 installed via packages, running on Debian "Wheezy" 7.9,
>> both recently updated.
>>
>> Cataloging works, and I can see the biblioand item records using the
>> Inventory tool, but Search does not return any hits. It had previously
>> worked, but as Imostly work on the back end, it may have been a version
>>
>> or two back when last I tried, and patron feedback is nil.
>>
>> I did try running the Zebra Permission Repair process at
>> <http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Fix_zebra_permissions>, but it
>> fails with messages like: "sudo: koha-create-dirs: command not found"
>> and "sudo: koha-rebuild-zebra: command not found".
> Well that is definitely a symptom of your problem, koha-rebuild-zebra is what the cron job runs to update the index.
>
> Can you do an ls /usr/sbin please, are those files there, if so try running them with the full path, eg sudo /usr/sbin/koha-create-dirs instancename
>
> That should get the index rebuilt. Then you could look up how to fix the path in sudo.

This appears to have worked for most of the commands from that FAQ page.
However, when I ran "koha-rebuild-zebra" it reported "Records exported:
2904" at one point, then "Records exported: 10279" at another. Given
that I have about 3300 items at present, neither looks quite right.

And while it did report starting zebra for this instance, the catalog
search function still fails to find anything.

As for the path in sudo, I get:
 > # echo $PATH
 > /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

So, some progress, but still questions.

Thanks,
Bruce A. Metcalf
Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Chris Cormack-7

On 27 December 2015 9:55:42 am NZDT, "Bruce A. Metcalf" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 12/26/2015 03:08 PM, Chris Cormack wrote:
>> On 27 December 2015 8:54:43 am NZDT, "Bruce A. Metcalf"
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Koha 3.22.1 installed via packages, running on Debian "Wheezy" 7.9,
>>> both recently updated.
>>>
>>> Cataloging works, and I can see the biblioand item records using the
>>> Inventory tool, but Search does not return any hits. It had
>previously
>>> worked, but as Imostly work on the back end, it may have been a
>version
>>>
>>> or two back when last I tried, and patron feedback is nil.
>>>
>>> I did try running the Zebra Permission Repair process at
>>> <http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Fix_zebra_permissions>, but it
>>> fails with messages like: "sudo: koha-create-dirs: command not
>found"
>>> and "sudo: koha-rebuild-zebra: command not found".
>> Well that is definitely a symptom of your problem, koha-rebuild-zebra
>is what the cron job runs to update the index.
>>
>> Can you do an ls /usr/sbin please, are those files there, if so try
>running them with the full path, eg sudo /usr/sbin/koha-create-dirs
>instancename
>>
>> That should get the index rebuilt. Then you could look up how to fix
>the path in sudo.
>
>This appears to have worked for most of the commands from that FAQ
>page.
>However, when I ran "koha-rebuild-zebra" it reported "Records exported:
>
>2904" at one point, then "Records exported: 10279" at another. Given
>that I have about 3300 items at present, neither looks quite right.

2904 will be the biblio records, 10279 will be your authority records.

>And while it did report starting zebra for this instance, the catalog
>search function still fails to find anything.

I wonder if you still have other path issues, or it might be the switch from grs1 to dom. What version did you upgrade from ?

Chris

>As for the path in sudo, I get:
> > # echo $PATH
> > /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
>
>So, some progress, but still questions.
>
>Thanks,
>Bruce A. Metcalf
>Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Bruce A. Metcalf
On 12/26/2015 04:29 PM, Chris Cormack wrote:

>>> Well that is definitely a symptom of your problem, koha-rebuild-zebra is what the cron job runs to update the index.
>>> Can you do an ls /usr/sbin please, are those files there, if so try running them with the full path, eg sudo /usr/sbin/koha-create-dirs instancename. That should get the index rebuilt. Then you could look up how to fix the path in sudo.
>>>
>>> This appears to have worked for most of the commands from that FAQ
>>> page. However, when I ran "koha-rebuild-zebra" it reported "Records exported:
>>> 2904" at one point, then "Records exported: 10279" at another. Given
>>> that I have about 3300 items at present, neither looks quite right.
> 2904 will be the biblio records, 10279 will be your authority records.
Okay, that sounds reasonable.

>> And while it did report starting zebra for this instance, the catalog
>> search function still fails to find anything.
> I wonder if you still have other path issues, or it might be the switch from grs1 to dom. What version did you upgrade from ?

I think it was Version 3.12 that you helped me install at KohaCon13
(thanks again). I've since been upgrading each release as it comes out
using packages.

Thanks,
Bruce A. Metcalf
Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Chris Cormack-6
On 27 December 2015 at 10:45, Bruce A. Metcalf
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> 2904 will be the biblio records, 10279 will be your authority records.
>
> Okay, that sounds reasonable.
>
>>> And while it did report starting zebra for this instance, the catalog
>>> search function still fails to find anything.
>>
>> I wonder if you still have other path issues, or it might be the switch
>> from grs1 to dom. What version did you upgrade from ?
>

> I think it was Version 3.12 that you helped me install at KohaCon13 (thanks
> again). I've since been upgrading each release as it comes out using
> packages.

Ahh that may be it, take a look at
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Switching_to_dom_indexing

We tend to not try to update the config file automatically as we might
accidentally clobber some of your intentional changes, so it might be
that it hasn't switched to DOM

I'd back up the file, make the changes, restart the zebraserver
(service koha-common restart) run a full reindex (koha-rebuild-zebra
-f) and see if that fixes it, you can always roll back if it doesn't

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Bruce A. Metcalf
On 12/26/2015 09:11 PM, Chris Cormack wrote:

>>> I wonder if you still have other path issues, or it might be the switch
>>> from grs1 to dom. What version did you upgrade from ?
>> I think it was Version 3.12 that you helped me install at KohaCon13 (thanks
>> again). I've since been upgrading each release as it comes out using
>> packages.
> Ahh that may be it, take a look at
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Switching_to_dom_indexing
>
> We tend to not try to update the config file automatically as we might
> accidentally clobber some of your intentional changes, so it might be
> that it hasn't switched to DOM
>
> I'd back up the file, make the changes, restart the zebraserver
> (service koha-common restart) run a full reindex (koha-rebuild-zebra -f) and see if that fixes it, you can always roll back if it doesn't

It doesn't.

The instructions say to check "/About Koha/ > /System information"/ for
GRS1/DOM-related warnings. I see two warnings:

 > Warning    You are missing the <log4perl_conf> entry in your
koha-conf.xml file.
 > Warning    You are missing the <upload_path> entry in your
koha-conf.xml file.

I can't say if these were there previously, and neither appears to be
related.

I also notice that in "/About Koha/ > /Server information"/ there's an
error that does seem related:

*> Error *Zebra server seems not to be available. Is it started?

Perhaps this is a clue?

Thanks,
Bruce A. Metcalf
Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Bruce A. Metcalf
On 12/27/2015 12:25 PM, Bruce A. Metcalf wrote:

>>> I think it was Version 3.12 that you helped me install at KohaCon13
>>> (thanks
>>> again). I've since been upgrading each release as it comes out using
>>> packages.
>> Ahh that may be it, take a look at
>> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Switching_to_dom_indexing
>>
>> We tend to not try to update the config file automatically as we might
>> accidentally clobber some of your intentional changes, so it might be
>> that it hasn't switched to DOM
>>
>> I'd back up the file, make the changes, restart the zebraserver
>> (service koha-common restart) run a full reindex (koha-rebuild-zebra
>> -f) and see if that fixes it, you can always roll back if it doesn't
> It doesn't.
>
> The instructions say to check "/About Koha/ > /System information"/
> for GRS1/DOM-related warnings. I see two warnings:
>
> > Warning    You are missing the <log4perl_conf> entry in your
> koha-conf.xml file.
> > Warning    You are missing the <upload_path> entry in your
> koha-conf.xml file.
>
> I can't say if these were there previously, and neither appears to be
> related.
>
> I also notice that in "/About Koha/ > /Server information"/ there's an
> error that does seem related:
>
> *> Error *Zebra server seems not to be available. Is it started?
>
> Perhaps this is a clue?

In the absence of new ideas, I have tried switching to the indexing
daemon using by:

- Comment the rebuild_zebra.pl line in /etc/cron.d/koha-common
- Enable the indexer daemon in /etc/default/koha-common
- Restart Koha's daemons:
   $ sudo service koha-common stop ; sudo service koha-common start

I also looked at my zebra-error.log, which turns out to be filled with
this sequence, repeating every 30 seconds:

20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20683) exited with 1 status

20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20684) exited with 1 status

20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20685) exited with 1 status

20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20686) exited with 1 status

20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20687) exited with 1 status

20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: terminating too quickly, waiting 30 seconds

Note that this log tail was observed after switching to the indexing daemon.

Lots of data, very little understanding here!

Thanks in advance,
Bruce A. Metcalf
Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

I think the problem might not be the indexing itself, but that your
Zebra server is not running.

This might help:
sudo service restart koha-common

Then you can do:
ps axf | grep "zebrasrv"

To see if it's running.

Hope this helps,

Katrin

Am 28.12.2015 um 21:19 schrieb Bruce A. Metcalf:

>>> Ahh that may be it, take a look at
>>> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Switching_to_dom_indexing
>>>
>>> We tend to not try to update the config file automatically as we might
>>> accidentally clobber some of your intentional changes, so it might be
>>> that it hasn't switched to DOM
>>>
>>> I'd back up the file, make the changes, restart the zebraserver
>>> (service koha-common restart) run a full reindex (koha-rebuild-zebra
>>> -f) and see if that fixes it, you can always roll back if it doesn't
>> It doesn't.
>>
>> The instructions say to check "/About Koha/ > /System information"/
>> for GRS1/DOM-related warnings. I see two warnings:
>>
>> > Warning    You are missing the <log4perl_conf> entry in your
>> koha-conf.xml file.
>> > Warning    You are missing the <upload_path> entry in your
>> koha-conf.xml file.
>>
>> I can't say if these were there previously, and neither appears to be
>> related.
>>
>> I also notice that in "/About Koha/ > /Server information"/ there's an
>> error that does seem related:
>>
>> *> Error *Zebra server seems not to be available. Is it started?
>>
>> Perhaps this is a clue?
>
> In the absence of new ideas, I have tried switching to the indexing
> daemon using by:
>
> - Comment the rebuild_zebra.pl line in /etc/cron.d/koha-common
> - Enable the indexer daemon in /etc/default/koha-common
> - Restart Koha's daemons:
>   $ sudo service koha-common stop ; sudo service koha-common start
>
> I also looked at my zebra-error.log, which turns out to be filled with
> this sequence, repeating every 30 seconds:
>
> 20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20683) exited with 1
> status
>
> 20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20684) exited with 1
> status
>
> 20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20685) exited with 1
> status
>
> 20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20686) exited with 1
> status
>
> 20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: client (pid 20687) exited with 1
> status
>
> 20151228 15:16:48 library-koha-zebra: terminating too quickly, waiting
> 30 seconds
>

> Note that this log tail was observed after switching to the indexing
> daemon.
>
> Lots of data, very little understanding here!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bruce A. Metcalf
> Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Bruce A. Metcalf
On 12/28/2015 06:36 PM, Katrin Fischer wrote:

> I think the problem might not be the indexing itself, but that your
> Zebra server is not running.

That does seem to be the issue.

> This might help:
> sudo service restart koha-common

Nope, the result is:

# service restart koha-common
restart: unrecognized service

> Then you can do:
> ps axf | grep "zebrasrv"
>
> To see if it's running.

The result is:

# ps axf | grep "zebrasrv"
31360 pts/1    S+     0:00                                      \_ grep
zebrasrv
20550 ?        S      0:02 daemon --name=library-koha-zebra
--pidfiles=/var/run/koha/library/
--errlog=/var/log/koha/library/zebra-error.log
--stdout=/var/log/koha/library/zebra.log
--output=/var/log/koha/library/zebra-output.log --verbose=1 --respawn
--delay=30 --user=library-koha.library-koha -- zebrasrv -v
none,fatal,warn -f /etc/koha/sites/library/koha-conf.xml

I can't tell from this if it's running or not.

The "About Koha / Server Information" page still gives an error that
says Zebra is not available, so I'd guess no.

> Hope this helps,

Thanks for trying. Any other ideas about how to start Zebra?

TIA,
Bruce A. Metcalf
Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Chris Cormack-7
* Bruce A. Metcalf ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On 12/28/2015 06:36 PM, Katrin Fischer wrote:
>
> >I think the problem might not be the indexing itself, but that your
> >Zebra server is not running.
>
> That does seem to be the issue.
>
> >This might help:
> >sudo service restart koha-common
>
> Nope, the result is:
>
> # service restart koha-common
> restart: unrecognized service

Ahh typo sudo service koha-common restart

> >Then you can do:
> >ps axf | grep "zebrasrv"
> >
> >To see if it's running.
>
> The result is:
>
> # ps axf | grep "zebrasrv"
> 31360 pts/1    S+     0:00                                      \_ grep
> zebrasrv
> 20550 ?        S      0:02 daemon --name=library-koha-zebra
> --pidfiles=/var/run/koha/library/
> --errlog=/var/log/koha/library/zebra-error.log
> --stdout=/var/log/koha/library/zebra.log
> --output=/var/log/koha/library/zebra-output.log --verbose=1 --respawn
> --delay=30 --user=library-koha.library-koha -- zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn
> -f /etc/koha/sites/library/koha-conf.xml
>
> I can't tell from this if it's running or not.

It's definitely not, the daemon to start it is running, but it isn't running. The log
had a hint with it's respawning too fast. zebrasrv itself is not starting, there could
be quite a few reasons, but most likely it's something to do with permissions.

What you could try doing is

sudo koha-shell <instancename>
zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn -f /etc/koha/sites/<instancename>/koha-conf.xml

Replacing <instancename> with the name of your koha instance

Hopefully that will show an error message that will help us figure out what is going on

Chris

> The "About Koha / Server Information" page still gives an error that says
> Zebra is not available, so I'd guess no.
>
> >Hope this helps,
>
> Thanks for trying. Any other ideas about how to start Zebra?
>
> TIA,
> Bruce A. Metcalf
> Augustan Society Library

Chris Cormack
Catalyst IT Ltd.
+64 4 803 2238

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Bruce A. Metcalf
On 12/28/2015 10:34 PM, Chris Cormack wrote:

>>> I think the problem might not be the indexing itself, but that your
>>> Zebra server is not running.
>> That does seem to be the issue.
>>
>>> This might help:
>>> sudo service restart koha-common
> Ahh typo sudo service koha-common restart

That runs without generating errors, but no change.

>>> Then you can do:
>>> ps axf | grep "zebrasrv"
>>>
>>> To see if it's running.
>> I can't tell from this if it's running or not.
> It's definitely not, the daemon to start it is running, but it isn't running. The log
> had a hint with it's respawning too fast. zebrasrv itself is not starting, there could
> be quite a few reasons, but most likely it's something to do with permissions.
>
> What you could try doing is
>
> sudo koha-shell <instancename>

Fail: "sudo: koha-shell: command not found"

Tried "sudo apt-get install koha-shell", but the package isn't
available. Should it be?

Also tried "sudo apt-get check" without result.

> zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn -f /etc/koha/sites/<instancename>/koha-conf.xml
>
> Replacing <instancename> with the name of your koha instance

Tried that (in the regular shell) and got a permissions error.

> Hopefully that will show an error message that will help us figure out what is going on

That would be nice.

Thanks to all,
Bruce A. Metcalf
Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Chris Cormack-7
Your paths still appear to be messed up for sudo try

sudo /usr/sbin/koha-shell instancename

Chris

On 29 December 2015 4:54:55 pm NZDT, "Bruce A. Metcalf" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> That does seem to be the issue.

>> Ahh typo sudo service koha-common restart
>
>That runs without generating errors, but no change.

>>> I can't tell from this if it's running or not.
>> It's definitely not, the daemon to start it is running, but it isn't
>running. The log
>> had a hint with it's respawning too fast. zebrasrv itself is not
>starting, there could
>> be quite a few reasons, but most likely it's something to do with
>permissions.
>>
>> What you could try doing is
>>
>> sudo koha-shell <instancename>
>
>Fail: "sudo: koha-shell: command not found"
>
>Tried "sudo apt-get install koha-shell", but the package isn't
>available. Should it be?
>
>Also tried "sudo apt-get check" without result.
>
>> zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn -f
>/etc/koha/sites/<instancename>/koha-conf.xml
>>
>> Replacing <instancename> with the name of your koha instance
>
>Tried that (in the regular shell) and got a permissions error.
>
>> Hopefully that will show an error message that will help us figure
>out what is going on
>
>That would be nice.
>
>Thanks to all,
>Bruce A. Metcalf
>Augustan Society Library

Re: Indexing Not Updating

Bruce A. Metcalf
On 12/28/2015 10:58 PM, Chris Cormack wrote:

> Your paths still appear to be messed up for sudo try
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/koha-shell instancename

That seems to have worked, which brings us to

>         zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn -f
>         /etc/koha/sites/<instancename>/koha-conf.xml Replacing
>         <instancename> with the name of your koha instance

This failed again, but I thought to check the permissions of this file
and found them wanting. That corrected, it worked a bit better, giving:

$ zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn -f /etc/koha/sites/library/koha-conf.xml
15:07:30-29/12 [fatal] Zebra server already running [Resource
temporarily unavailable]

At this time, the "About Koha / System Information" page now suggests
that Zebra is running, with the message:

Zebra 2.0.44 (C) 1994-2010, Index Data ApS Zebra is free software,
covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are welcome to change
it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions. SHA1 ID:
419ad759807269fdfa379799a051ed3a551c6541 Using ICU

As I don't have the password to use the koha-shell, I dropped back into
the regular shell and ran koha-zebra-reindex.

Success! Recently cataloged materials now show!

My sincere thanks to all who helped. This community is a very big part
of why Koha is such an excellent tool.

Thanks again,
Bruce A. Metcalf
Augustan Society Library