Improvements forecast in 2.2.6

LAURENT Henri-Damien-3
hi koha-folks,
We (Paul and I) are thinking about some improvements here in France on
next Koha subversion.
They will be on Serials management and Acquisition.
We propose you them to see whether we are heading in the good direction
or we are going nuts ;).
Any (serious) comment on the following propositions will be welcome. :)

Serials Management
------------------------------
Adding a YesNo system preference (say SerialaddItems) in order to add
items on issue reception for a serials.
If this syspref is set to 1 (Yes), when managing reception of an issue,
a new line (under number would come out and propose to input item
information such as :
- barcode,
- homebranch (holdingbranch would be the same),
- itemcallnumber (if managed in items tab),
- items.status (if items.notforloan manage in item tab),
- location (if managed in items tab)
(The issue number would be stored into items.notes.)

Acquisitions
-----------------
ATM, we have a big deal with receptions.
We do not really manage a history of parcels reception. And people
cannot know which book came in which parcel.
We are striving to make things better.
Here is what we came to :
In order to manage parcels and reception, when one clicks on receive on
the supplier page, one shall be provided with the parcels list ordered
by datereceived descending PLUS the possibility to add create a new one.
Each parcel will be clickable
When clicking one will be able
- to see what he received
- to add lines to one parcel whenever he wants.
- (Maybe) to see and manage what is still to be received from this supplier.

This will in some ways make the same thing as basket management but from
reception view.

One can never be aware of partially received baskets.... unless user
lateorders or histsearch.... but this is not so user-friendly.
What can be suggested is to add a non printable column qtyreceived to
basket information, with price, qty, qtyreceived and rrp bold if
reception not completed.
One can never see old baskets. We suggest :
When clicking suppliername on order.pl, let us not edit supplier
information but rather display supplier information with three buttons :
- Edit Supplier Information (Easy)
- View basket history (where the WHOLE history of baskets would be
displayed with the same information as those displayed on current
baskets in order.pl page)
- View reception history (the same page as the one we suggest to add for
parcel management)

We are waiting for comments.
Have a nice day.
--
Henri-Damien LAURENT

Re: Improvements forecast in 2.2.6

Russel Garlick
Hi Henri

We are about to start some work on Serials for a corporate library.

We plan to follow your lead in making the functionality we develop
system preferences.

What you are proposing to do is great, we hope to build on it with the
functionality we are working on.

> Serials Management
> ------------------------------
> Adding a YesNo system preference (say SerialaddItems) in order to add
> items on issue reception for a serials.
> If this syspref is set to 1 (Yes), when managing reception of an issue,
> a new line (under number would come out and propose to input item
> information such as :
> - barcode,
> - homebranch (holdingbranch would be the same),
> - itemcallnumber (if managed in items tab),
> - items.status (if items.notforloan manage in item tab),
> - location (if managed in items tab)
> (The issue number would be stored into items.notes.)

We are working on

Routing Lists
---------------------------------
We plan to make this an option in preferences

Routing lists on Yes/No

http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#routing_list
http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#adding_a_new_staff_member_to_a_serial_routing_list

Claims
---------------------------------
Our client would like to set claims per publication.

So once again

Serial Claims Yes/No
If yes - set a default.

Then in the information about the individual serial provide a mechanism
to override the default.

http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#claim_cycle
http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#claiming_a_missing_issue

Frequency Module
---------------------------------

Our client has requested that we simplify how the frequency/volume
numbering is calculated.

What we would like to do is once again is have a system preference

Serial Frequency  Custom (use the existing system) or Simple (the one we
are going to develop

http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#publication_pattern_codes

Our interface will use drop downs etc. As such it will be more
restrictive than the system Paul(?) developed. So once again for each
serial Item there will be the option to override and use the Custom method.

We'll try and keep you up to date as we proceed.

Cheers

--

Russel Garlick
Operations Manager

Re: Improvements forecast in 2.2.6

Paul POULAIN-2
Russel Garlick a écrit :
> Hi Henri
>
> We are about to start some work on Serials for a corporate library.
> What you are proposing to do is great, we hope to build on it with the
> functionality we are working on.

Note that it will be in 2.2.6, as it changes nothing to the DB
structure, and with systempref set to OFF, it changes nothing at all.

> We are working on
>
> Routing Lists
> ---------------------------------
> We plan to make this an option in preferences
>
> Routing lists on Yes/No
>
> http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#routing_list
> http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#adding_a_new_staff_member_to_a_serial_routing_list

I have put some code about this in HEAD. You can define a routing list
(i've called the feature "distributed to", routing list is probably a
better name)
In Koha >> Catalogue >> Serial >> detail >> add/modify, you have a
"distributed to ..." button. If you click on it you can type a list of
ppl that should get every issue. The list can contains borrowers table
entries (you can search) or anything else (manually entered)
Once you have defined the list, everytime you validate an issue you can
print the distributed to list (with a print css). Works fine for one of
my customer, although a little bit basic. Feel free to improve this.

> Claims
> ---------------------------------
> Our client would like to set claims per publication.
>
> So once again
>
> Serial Claims Yes/No
> If yes - set a default.
>
> Then in the information about the individual serial provide a mechanism
> to override the default.
>
> http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#claim_cycle
> http://wiki.liblime.com/doku.php?id=kohaserialsspec#claiming_a_missing_issue

If I understand correctly, I have something like this : Identified
borrowers in OPAC can put an alert on a serial title (stay in touch
button). Once they have said they want to stay in touch, every time an
issue is marked "arrived", a mail is sent to each borrowers that
subscribed to this feature.
The letter used is defined in the -new- letter module in parameters
section, where you can define letters. I suggest to use this module for
all our reports, it works fine even if it still can be a little bit
improved.
This feature relies on the "alert" table that could be used for other
alerts (like "be alerted every time a new book related to this query
appears in the library)

> Frequency Module
> Our interface will use drop downs etc. As such it will be more
> restrictive than the system Paul(?) developed. So once again for each
> serial Item there will be the option to override and use the Custom method.

Note that I also plan to add something to the issue-calculation system,
to have non numeric values in issue numbers (like "fall, winter, spring,
summer" or "jan,feb,mar,apr...")

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants