Idea for Koha documentation -- move sysprefs into an appendix

Idea for Koha documentation -- move sysprefs into an appendix

barton
I've been wondering for a while if it would be a good idea to move the administration section farther back in the manual. As it stands, a new user, first reading through the manual will read through a page or two of introduction, and then get thrown straight into 600+ system preferences. I'm coming up on four years working with Koha, and I *almost* feel equipped to read through all of those, end-to-end.

Of course no-one actually reads the manual that way; we tell people to browse the table of contents and cherry pick the parts that they find the most interesting, and expand their knowledge from there -- but maybe we could provide a friendlier more intuitive introduction which, pre-supposes that a reader is sitting in front of a system that is configured with some sane default settings, and gives a tour of Koha's features? That seems like a much friendlier approach.

Just my two cents,

--Barton

Re: Idea for Koha documentation -- move sysprefs into an appendix

Chris Cormack-7

We are working on this, the first section is now about the installer.

https://koha-community.org/manual/17.05/html/

It goes through web installer, then onboarding tool, before the Admin, but yes, we could move the admin section down. You can either send a patch, or do that in gitlab and send a merge request.

(Will be for 17.11, not changing the structure of 17.05 now :) So make changes on the master branch)

Katrin has written a page, with sphinx and gitlab the barrier should be much easier, Im hoping the doc manager role is more and more that, managing, not authoring.

https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Editing_the_Koha_Manual

Chris

On 11/07/17 08:49, Barton Chittenden wrote:
[...]

Lee, Chris,

I don't have anything concrete, but I may be able to pull together something useful -- I think a one chapter tour of circulation / cataloging / tools / search and OPAC would help give the lay of the land (what we Americans, with our non-metric measurements call a 10,000 foot view).

Cheers,

--Barton

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tomas Cohen Arazi

An 'introduction'?

El lun., 10 de jul. de 2017 6:26 PM, Barton Chittenden <[hidden email]> escribió:
[...]

Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io)
✆ +54 9351 3513384
GPG: B2F3C15F

Re: Idea for Koha documentation -- move sysprefs into an appendix

barton

On Jul 10, 2017 17:39, "Tomas Cohen Arazi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

An 'introduction'?

Well, technically there's already an introduction, but yes, that's exactly where I'm headed. :-)