How to install by uploading through FTP

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to install by uploading through FTP

shinokada
My school server is Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 And I don't have sudo right in a shell. But I can upload files through FTP. Is there any way I can install it through this way?

Thanks in advance.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to install by uploading through FTP

MJ Ray-2
shinokada wrote:
> My school server is Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 And I don't have sudo right in a
> shell. But I can upload files through FTP. Is there any way I can install it
> through this way?

If you have another similar-enough Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 server handy,
you can install Koha there with the right settings and then FTP all
parts to the school server, but it will be tedious and probably
difficult to debug some problems with it.  If you don't have
permission to install packages, you'll need to build them from cpan to
install in your target user's /home account and change the PERL5LIB
lines to include that directory too.  Without some way to add
VirtualHosts to the webserver configuration, it may be impossible.

I did an FTP install once with 2.0 or 2.2 but even then I could
reconfigure the webserver enough to make it work.  I don't think it
was ever as good as a configurable server, though.

So I'd get another server or rent a good hosted Koha because it would
probably make things so much quicker and easier that it is worth it.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op.
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
In My Opinion Only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to install by uploading through FTP

Steven Santos
Hmm.

<wondering out loud>

Would it make more sense, in the long-term, to develop Koha as an FTPable
application?

After all, something with the ease of install/update of WordPress would be a
game changer.

</wonder>

---
Steven Santos
Director, Simply Circus, Inc.
 Email: [hidden email]
   Gym: 86 Los Angeles Street
        Newton, MA 02458
  Mail: 14 Pierrepont Road
        Newton, MA 02462
 Phone: 617-527-0667
   Fax: 617-934-1870
   Web: www.SimplyCircus.com


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:koha-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of MJ Ray
> Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:03 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Koha] How to install by uploading through FTP
>
> shinokada wrote:
> > My school server is Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 And I don't have sudo right
> in a
> > shell. But I can upload files through FTP. Is there any way I can
> install it
> > through this way?
>
> If you have another similar-enough Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 server handy,
> you can install Koha there with the right settings and then FTP all
> parts to the school server, but it will be tedious and probably
> difficult to debug some problems with it.  If you don't have
> permission to install packages, you'll need to build them from cpan to
> install in your target user's /home account and change the PERL5LIB
> lines to include that directory too.  Without some way to add
> VirtualHosts to the webserver configuration, it may be impossible.
>
> I did an FTP install once with 2.0 or 2.2 but even then I could
> reconfigure the webserver enough to make it work.  I don't think it
> was ever as good as a configurable server, though.
>
> So I'd get another server or rent a good hosted Koha because it would
> probably make things so much quicker and easier that it is worth it.
>
> Hope that helps,
> --
> MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-
> op.
> http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer,
> statistician.
> In My Opinion Only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
> Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha
> _______________________________________________
> Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha


_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to install by uploading through FTP

MJ Ray-2
Steven Santos wrote:
> Would it make more sense, in the long-term, to develop Koha as an FTPable
> application?
>
> After all, something with the ease of install/update of WordPress would be a
> game changer.

I think first, someone would need to bring NoZebra back up-to-date so
that searching was about as good.  The main searching pressure seems
to be to make Koha harder to install by adding Java-based Solr, but if
we are going to support both Solr and Zebra, then that will mean
search becomes more modular and it would be easier to bring NoZebra
back.

Warning: I only use Koha with Zebra at the moment, so I am probably
insulting both Solr and NoZebra variations of Koha.

To be fair, Koha is quite a bit more complex than Wordpress and does
more things with more specialised data.

Second warning: I develop for Wordpress and I am definitely insulting
it. ;-)

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op.
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
In My Opinion Only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to install by uploading through FTP

mason@kohaaloha
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steven Santos

On 2011-03-2, at 9:56 AM, Steven Santos wrote:

> Hmm.
>
> <wondering out loud>
>
> Would it make more sense, in the long-term, to develop Koha as an FTPable
> application?


hmmm, not really

the problem here is not installing Koha

but needing root/sudo privs to install Koha's system-level *dependancies*


>
> After all, something with the ease of install/update of WordPress would be a
> game changer.


typing 'sudo apt-get install koha' is just as easy as typing 'sudo apt-get install wordpress', no?


cheers, Mason
--
KohaAloha, NZ

_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
moo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to install by uploading through FTP

Owen Leonard-4
>> Would it make more sense, in the long-term, to develop Koha as an FTPable
>> application?
>
> the problem here is not installing Koha
> but needing root/sudo privs to install Koha's system-level *dependencies*

I think this is the main point: It would be nice to simplify Koha's
installation, but Koha's technical requirements make it impossible (as
far as I understand it).

> typing 'sudo apt-get install koha' is just as easy as typing 'sudo apt-get install wordpress', no?

The question is about accommodating users who only have FTP access.
Users without command-line access cannot sudo apt-get anything!

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries
http://www.myacpl.org
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to install by uploading through FTP

Steven Santos
In reply to this post by mason@kohaaloha
Only when it works.

---
Steven Santos
Director, Simply Circus, Inc.
 Email: [hidden email]
   Gym: 86 Los Angeles Street
        Newton, MA 02458
  Mail: 14 Pierrepont Road
        Newton, MA 02462
 Phone: 617-527-0667
   Fax: 617-934-1870
   Web: www.SimplyCircus.com


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:koha-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of James, Mason
> Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:37 PM
> To: Steven Santos
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Koha] How to install by uploading through FTP
>
>
> On 2011-03-2, at 9:56 AM, Steven Santos wrote:
>
> > Hmm.
> >
> > <wondering out loud>
> >
> > Would it make more sense, in the long-term, to develop Koha as an
> FTPable
> > application?
>
>
> hmmm, not really
>
> the problem here is not installing Koha
>
> but needing root/sudo privs to install Koha's system-level
> *dependancies*
>
>
> >
> > After all, something with the ease of install/update of WordPress
> would be a
> > game changer.
>
>
> typing 'sudo apt-get install koha' is just as easy as typing 'sudo apt-
> get install wordpress', no?
>
>
> cheers, Mason
> --
> KohaAloha, NZ
>
> _______________________________________________
> Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha


_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to install by uploading through FTP

Galen Charlton-2
In reply to this post by Steven Santos
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Steven Santos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would it make more sense, in the long-term, to develop Koha as an FTPable
> application?

Koha can already be installed as a non-root user (assuming that there
is *some* provision for updating the Apache configuration to add the
virtual host definitions used by a typical Koha installation).  The
trade-off is more complexity during the installation, potentially
including

* compiling Yaz and Zebra from source
* installing all the Perl modules from CPAN

However, while I appreciate that there are a great many libraries that
would have a difficult time getting root access on a box, it's getting
easier all the time.  Specifically, if you are considering hosting
your own Koha database on something other than a server that you own
and have root (or sudo) access to, consider using a VPS service rather
than a traditional web host.  The cost of a lowend VPS suitable for
running a small Koha database is comparable to what you would be
charged for a traditional web host that provides non-root shell
access.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha