How does the AutoEmailOpacUser preference work?

How does the AutoEmailOpacUser preference work?

Arturo Longoria
Hello,

Our library enabled the AutoEmailOpacUser preference so that patrons receive a notification of their account details when we create an account for them via the staff client -- http://manual.koha-community.org/17.11/en/administration.html#AutoEmailOPACUser -- and we've set AutoEmailPrimaryAddress to use the first valid e-mail found in the account.

But we've noticed that the e-mail is not always sent when the account includes a valid e-mail. The documentation does not mention any specifics, so I was wondering if anyone can explain how this feature works?

It seems to be sent only if the username field is blank AND there is a password included. I've found that if staff do not include a value in the password fields, the e-mail is not sent. If the password fields are filled out and staff also include a username, the e-mail is not sent.

Is this the intended behavior?

Arturo Longoria
Reference Librarian/Web Manager
Texas State Law Library
www.sll.texas.gov

Re: How does the AutoEmailOpacUser preference work?

barton
Arturo,

Check the basics first -- are the email addresses valid? Are the messages
in the patron's spam folder?

Next I would check is email logs -- typically /var/log/mail.log

Grep for the email address. If you see that messages have been sent,
there's not much you can do; the issue is entirely upstream.

On the other hand, you may see that the emails are being rejected by the
upstream mail server, in which case you'll need to contact the server admin.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Arturo Longoria <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our library enabled the AutoEmailOpacUser preference so that patrons
> receive a notification of their account details when we create an account
> for them via the staff client -- http://manual.koha-community.
> org/17.11/en/administration.html#AutoEmailOPACUser -- and we've set
> AutoEmailPrimaryAddress to use the first valid e-mail found in the account.
>
> But we've noticed that the e-mail is not always sent when the account
> includes a valid e-mail. The documentation does not mention any specifics,
> so I was wondering if anyone can explain how this feature works?
>
> It seems to be sent only if the username field is blank AND there is a
> password included. I've found that if staff do not include a value in the
> password fields, the e-mail is not sent. If the password fields are filled
> out and staff also include a username, the e-mail is not sent.
>
> Is this the intended behavior?
>

> Arturo Longoria
> Reference Librarian/Web Manager
> Texas State Law Library
> www.sll.texas.gov

Re: How does the AutoEmailOpacUser preference work?

Arturo Longoria
Barton,

I've been testing by creating new accounts that use my own e-mail address and checking my own spam folder, so I feel I've ruled those variables out. I don't have access to the server's /var/log/mail.log, so I can't check that, unfortunately. But I do find it to be consistent that I will only receive the ACCTDETAILS e-mail if the username field is blank (so that Koha generates it automatically) and manually enter a password for the account. If I omit the pw, no e-mail. If I enter a custom username, no e-mail. Unless the log says otherwise, I don't believe Koha is generating the e-mail in those instances.

www.sll.texas.gov<http://www.sll.texas.gov>