Holds to Pull

NCRL Support
I would first like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. We are currently training with Nicole and have a go live date set for January 9th.

We are a multi-branch library system and would like to know how other libraries are handling the "holds to pull" report.

Barbara Walters
North Central Regional Library
[hidden email] | 509.679.5550

Re: Holds to Pull

nengard
I'm here with Barb and to those of you who replied to her saying to use the Holds Queue, it's my understanding that the Holds Queue is showing you titles that are for pickup at the branch you choose - can someone who knows the code please tell me what branch the Holds Queue is looking at.  I wrote a report (http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/SQL_Reports_Library#Holds_to_Pull_at_Branch) to show the holds to pull list based on books owned by the library and it's on the wiki and it's what most people I train are using because the way I understand things is this:

- Holds Queue is all holds (regardless of whether they're checked out or on the shelf) that need to be picked up at the branch
- Holds to Pull should be a list of all items on the shelf at your library that have holds on them that you need to pull to trigger the hold

In addition to helping Barbara, your answer will help me fix the manual to make it clearer for all.

Nicole

2011/11/15 NCRL Support <[hidden email]>
I would first like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. We are currently training with Nicole and have a go live date set for January 9th.

We are a multi-branch library system and would like to know how other libraries are handling the "holds to pull" report.

Barbara Walters
North Central Regional Library
[hidden email] | 509.679.5550

Re: Holds to Pull

Owen Leonard-4
> - Holds Queue is all holds (regardless of whether they're checked out or on
> the shelf) that need to be picked up at the branch

No.

> - Holds to Pull should be a list of all items on the shelf at your library
> that have holds on them that you need to pull to trigger the hold

I don't know off the top of my head what Holds to Pull does, but this
describes exactly what the Holds Queue list does.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries

Re: Holds to Pull

Nora Blake-2

Nicole,

I know nothing of the code of Koha but what you describe for Holds to Pull and Holds Queue is exactly the opposite of our experience.  In our shared Koha when we look at “Hold to Pull” we see every blessed hold request that is open.  When we go to “Holds Queue” and select a library from that list we see only the open holds that site has to fill.

But again, I can’t point to code to support this.

Nora

________________________

Nora Blake
MassCat Manager
Massachusetts Library System
P.O. Box 609
South Deerfield, MA 01373-0241
508-357-2121 x123
866-627-7228
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Holds to Pull

Liz Rea
<base href="x-msg://60/">This is NEKLS experience as well.

The hold queue does a few things.

1. It has a cron job that runs periodically, regenerating the list.
2. The list is weighted based on a couple of system preferences. This becomes important in consortia where you might want one library to be preferred over another (to, say, keep a small library with a great collection from being utterly inundated with hold requests, for example)
3. The layout is a little nicer.

Holds to Pull does the following:
1. Shows every hold across all libraries
2. Shows which libraries have copies of an item that can fill a hold (unlike the hold queue, which picks a specific library's item)
3. Is useful, but not in the same way as the hold queue.

If it helps you frame it, in Sirsi the Hold Queue was similar functionality to the Pick List.

If you accept the default cron job, the build_holds_queue cron will run every hour. NEKLS chooses (for various reasons) to run it only 3 times a day. We use the holds queue exclusively for managing our holds.

I hope this helps.

On Nov 16, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Nora Blake wrote:

Nicole,

I know nothing of the code of Koha but what you describe for Holds to Pull and Holds Queue is exactly the opposite of our experience.  In our shared Koha when we look at “Hold to Pull” we see every blessed hold request that is open.  When we go to “Holds Queue” and select a library from that list we see only the open holds that site has to fill.

But again, I can’t point to code to support this.

Nora
________________________

Nora Blake
MassCat Manager
Massachusetts Library System
P.O. Box 609
South Deerfield, MA 01373-0241
508-357-2121 x123
866-627-7228

Re: Holds to Pull

nengard
Liz,

But what content is showed on the holds queue?  Is it only holds that are available in the library right now? or all holds on items that are available and checked out?

Nicole

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Liz Rea <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I believe both reports only show holds that are available (somewhere, in the case of the Holds to Pull) to be pulled for holds.

Neither report shows all holds in the system (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

On Nov 18, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Nicole Engard wrote:

[...]

<email_signature.jpeg>