Hey all.

Kyle Hall
Hello,
   I'm new to the koha-devel list. I work with Cindy at the CCFLS. I had a few items that josh thought I might want to put out there for everyone. We've been working hard on getting our county ready for a transfer over to koha, and I've written a few things that *might* be useful to other koha users. Probably the most useful is a new template theme. It uses a tabs and side-tabs interface that I think is quite intuitive for new users. It's nearly out of what I would consider beta and just needs a few more tweaks.
  Other than that, I've been transfering our data from our existing ILS using php scripts for the data processing. I'm a huge fan of OO development and have created a number of data-access objects for manipulating the koha database. I'll probably end up rewriting them in perl when 3.0 comes out, as all the objects for working with the marc tables will be useless, and I'll need to be able to use the perl library to access zebra. Also, I've written a few custom reports in php for the county. I don't know how useful they might be for others, but we'll put them out there anyway (once I set up a bit of web space to post them on).
   Probably the most interesting project (to me) is a firefox extension that adds a toolbar for displaying koha statistics, among other things. I wrote a little perl script that generates an xml file containing stats for each branch in the koha database and the extension pulls it from the server and displays them in the toolbar. I'll probably add koha search functionality to it as well. I'm a bit stymied in my project though, because I can't get the extension to save user preferences (ie. the server's address and the libraries branchcode). If anyone on the list has any experience with firefox extensions, help would be much appriciated.
  Thats all I've got for now.

Kyle
IT Technician
Crawford County Federated Library System

Re: Hey all.

Pierrick LE GALL
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:48:26 -0500
"Kyle Hall" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,

Hello Kyle,

> [...] a new template theme. It uses a tabs and side-tabs interface
> [...]

Very interesting! Do you have some screenshots?

> [...] firefox extension [...] toolbar [...] koha statistics [...]
> search functionality [...]

Impatient to see the result of your dev. Keep koha-dev mailing-list
informed. I don't know much about Firefox extensions yet but I would be
happy to help.

Pierrick LE GALL
INEO media system

Re: Hey all.

Kyle Hall
  Here < http://www.flickr.com/photos/64951563@N00/115366281/ >is a screen capture of firefox using the templates I've developed and what I have so far for kohaBar (consider it a pre-alpha if you will).
   I'm planning on removing the "issues today" stuff from the templates and putting the branch name in there if possible. For the kohaBar, I'm hoping to make it vary malliable (sp?) so that it can be costomized to look good with whatever templates a library is using, and allow the librarians to choose what stats to display and such.
   As I said before, right now it just reads a server-side generated xml file, but after I get it stable, I might replace that with a SOAP interface.
   Also, any suggestions for more kohabar features? Any statistics that your librarians would like to be able to view in realtime?

Kyle

On 3/17/06, Kyle Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Re: Hey all.

Stephen Hedges
Kyle, I finally took the time to look at your screenshot -- very nice!  I
hope you're able to get a complete set of templates going.  I also think
the "KohaBar" is a pretty cool idea.  Nice work!

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA

Re: Re: Hey all.

Kyle Hall
There templates are essentially finished, except for some minor tweaks. I just need to know how to submit them for inclusion in Koha. I have an account on savvanah, and Josh made me a developer, but I've never really used subversion and I don't have the slightest idea as to how to upload my files.

Kyle

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA
www.skemotah.com  --  [hidden email]

--
IT Tech
Crawford County Federated Library System

Re: Re: Hey all.

Joshua Ferraro-3
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:12:39AM -0500, Kyle Hall wrote:
> There templates are essentially finished, except for some minor tweaks. I just
> need to know how to submit them for inclusion in Koha. I have an account on
> savvanah, and Josh made me a developer, but I've never really used subversion
> and I don't have the slightest idea as to how to upload my files.
It's not that hard once you get in the swing of things -- in fact, once
you start using a versioning system for your development you may wonder
why you ever went without one :-).

First thing to do is read some CVS docs:
http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/#documentation

Here's a super brief overview of how to commit your templates ...

All of this assumes the only things you've modified are in the
koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/mpl and koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/mpl directories.
(where 'mpl' contains files similar to 'npl' (make double sure you
are using a different directory name as you'll overwrite the npl
directory otherwise)

If you've modified stuff out of those directories you'll want to
doublecheck with us before you commit it...

First thing to do is to check out a 'read-write' version from savannah:

cvs -z3 -d <membername>@cvs.savannah.nongnu.org:/sources/koha co -r rel_2_2 koha

$ cd koha/koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/
$ cp -r /path/to/my/opac/mpl koha/koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/
$ cp -r /path/to/my/intranet/mpl koha/koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/
$ cd koha/koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/
$ cvs add mpl
$ cd mpl
$ cvs add *
 (etc., though you can glob to add multiple files within a directory
you can't add recursively so you need to traverse the tree  manually
to add)

repeat for koha/koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/mpl, etc.

Once you've added the files, now you need to commit them:
$ cd koha/koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl
$ cvs commit mpl
$ cd ../
$ cd intranet-tmpl
$ cvs commit mpl

Hop on IRC if you want someone to walk you through it ... I'd recommend
commiting just a single file just to get a sense for how it works,
maybe start with your mozilla plugin ... I'd be glad to walk you
through that any time.

Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
President, Technology       migration, training, maintenance, support
LibLime                                Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
[hidden email] |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS